Great Day!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2255D

Re: Great Day!

Post by N2255D »

Ryan, We'll have to get the sisters together for a visit one day.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Well...

Today was the day. I scheduled my medical for this morning at 11, and met my instructor about 2:45 at the airport. We flew the 172XP on Sunday, logging 1.6 on the tach. We did some basic air work, pilotage, and several takeoffs and landings at various airports. Today, my instructor wanted to put me through the wringer again.

We did a couple of engine outs (after the second one, he said "You just lost your engine again. What are you going to do?" My response was, "Fire my mechanic!"), some no flap landings, and a couple of go arounds. After about 45 minutes, he asked me for my medical and logbook, hopped out, put his headsets back in his airplane and went inside. Three takeoffs and landings later, I was taxiing the airplane back in just before a big rain shower hit.

It was satisfyingly low-key, therefore no pictures. The airplane is missing most of the paint anyway. :lol: My first solo was over 12 years ago...which is still hard for me to get my head wrapped around. I soloed before my friend Matt who was going to be my CFI if I finished my private while in Illinois. Now that this is over with, I'm finishing up my paperwork tonight to apply for the AOPA flight training scholarship. I hope to get my private and a good chunk of my instrument done if I can grab one of the $5K scholarships. I can get through my multi commercial with instrument privileges (with some left over for a CFI, I'm sure) if I somehow can get the $12K scholarship. Positive thoughts and vibes are appreciated! After having such a torrid time with employment over the past year, I'm ready to position myself to be able to do more things for a living if/when the you-know-what hits the fan again. Ultimately, I'd like to go to law school and be an advocate for GA; but baby steps first.

Thanks for sharing my journey with me. It's been fun so far. I'm ready for it to end with a private certificate and a maroon and white 1952 Cessna 170B in my hangar, however. :)
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

That is a great day :D . Congratulations! That's got to be a very good feeling. Thanks for sharing your experience
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

congrats.gif
congrats.gif (4.61 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
Way to go Ryan!
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)