1948 Cessna 170 Project.....Need parts

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

lovetaildraggers

1948 Cessna 170 Project.....Need parts

Post by lovetaildraggers »

Can anyone tell me where to get a wing tip for a 1948 rag wing. Im looking at a project, but want to make sure I can find the parts to fix it. It was ground looped and it bent the right wingtip up alittle. I can see where the tip can be drilled out and another wing tip could be re-riveted back on but where do I get the other wingtip? Any help would be very helpful. Thanks,

Cameron
3958v

Re: 1948 Cessna 170 Project.....Need parts

Post by 3958v »

One of the best places to look for ragwing parts would be the 140 web site as many wing parts are the same and many more 140s were produce. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
T. C. Downey

Post by T. C. Downey »

lovetaildraggers wrote:Can anyone tell me where to get a wing tip for a 1948 rag wing. Im looking at a project, but want to make sure I can find the parts to fix it. It was ground looped and it bent the right wingtip up alittle. I can see where the tip can be drilled out and another wing tip could be re-riveted back on but where do I get the other wingtip? Any help would be very helpful. Thanks,

Cameron
Actually,,,, you make it.
ragwingrick

Post by ragwingrick »

The one I had, the rib had been buckled but the upper and lower skins were good. I built some very small wood wedges and put them inside the wing tip and pushed the skins apart and straightening the bent rib. Once I had the shape back to what it was originally, I then reinforced the rib. If the skin on yours is not wrinkled you may be able to repair it.