Does Cessna still make parts for the C170?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ZAFlyer

Does Cessna still make parts for the C170?

Post by ZAFlyer »

Hi

I am trying to get a change of category for my '52 C170 into Veteran which will enable me to maintain the aircraft on an "on condition" basis and so lower my maintenance costs. A local requirement to register as a Veteran aircraft is "the airworthiness is no longer supported by the holder of the type certificate…" . This is taken to mean that:

1. The aircraft is no longer in production.
2. There is no support and spares from the factory.

However, although Cessna still seems to have some interest in the airworthiness with the latest SIDs,I thought that it no longer manufactured parts, until I got this email:

"Thank you for contacting Cessna tech support. Unfortunately, Cessna will be unable to provide such a letter as Cessna still supports and manufactures parts for the aircraft."

What parts do Cessna still provide for the C170?

Ross
bagarre

Re: Does Cessna still make parts for the C170?

Post by bagarre »

For enough money, they will make anything, that's what they are saying :(
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Cessna sells lots of parts for the 170. As David said, though, some are special order only. Go to a site like cessnaparts.com and enter part numbers from your parts catalog. You'll find many available.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ZAFlyer wrote:...,I thought that it no longer manufactured parts, until I got this email:

"Thank you for contacting Cessna tech support. Unfortunately, Cessna will be unable to provide such a letter as Cessna still supports and manufactures parts for the aircraft."

What parts do Cessna still provide for the C170?

Ross
Please don't take this wrongly. ... but, clearly you contacted them and they specifically told you they will still support your aircraft. If you want to know what they will make for you, then you should ask them. It's not cheap, but they will support your aircraft. An example might be found in the fuel selector valve.
The original valves are no longer supplied in new condition. But Cessna has developed a Service Bulleting which will allow one to modify the airplane to accept a newly-manufactured replacement valve. So Cessna will not force you to ground your airplane for want of an airworthy part. The downside is, the modification and new valve costs about $5,000 (last I heard.)

In the U.S., it is a simpler matter to find alternative methods and means. One can obtain a used valve from a salvage facility. One can purchase sufficient parts inexpensively to repair the existing valve. Or one can engineer one's own proprietary modification to a different valve and submit documentation to the airworthiness authorities (FAA in the U.S.) and receive approval for that change.

Canada has a similar provision to your South African (?) "veteran aircraft" rule. But one problem with establishing the aircraft on such programs is that the aircraft cannot be returned to certificated status easily, or inexpensively, and insurance and re-sale values become problematical.

On a different subject,... show us a picture of your airplane! Have you joined our Int'l Association?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ZAFlyer

Post by ZAFlyer »

Thanks for all the replies. GAHORN that is interesting stuff regarding Cessna manufacturing on request, not really an option is it? I half tongue in cheek asked the Cessna rep if they would manufacture me a right wing if I wanted one. Of course he said yes but offered no price.

I will still pursue the change of category, notwithstanding the Cessna reply, because it just makes sense for a 62 year old aircraft to be classed as a Veteran and thus be maintained under a different regime. I am sure all this bores you guys in N America because you cannot see what all the fuss is about but then you can maintain on condition unlike our system of mandatory inspections and overhauls.There are precedents for what I am attempting including a C170 so I will pursue the change.

As for not being able to return to certified status once a change of category has occurred, that is not a problem, the aircraft will be worth more in the Veteran category.

I cannot post pictures, I guess because I am a guest member. But follow this link and you will find a photo https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Once again thanks for the informative responses.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Trust me, we are NOT bored!

Owners around the WORLD are interested in these topics and benefit from them.

U.S. owner/operators truly are blessed and perhaps don't realize it. While they often consider FAA rules onerous, in actual fact the U.S. rules are quite lenient when compared to other countries. Many times in my corporate career I oversaw used aircraft purchases and it became obvious that in many cases the BEST aircraft to purchase, all other things being equal, was the one on foreign registry. Why? Because the foreign registered aircraft had been maintained to higher standards forced upon their operators by foreign regulations. U.S. based aircraft were often operated on "condition"... which meant parts and accessories were often well-beyond recommended overhaul/replacement times stipulated by their manufacturers. This was particularly true of Commonwealth registered aircraft, but also of German, Swiss, and Scandinavian. (It's a common reason foreign-based aircraft are kept on U.S. registry with "N"-numbers... so owner/operators can keep them on "condition". One downside is that only pilots holding U.S. pilot certificates may operate them.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)