Installing A TCM IO360

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bagarre

Re: Installing A TCM IO360

Post by bagarre »

Aryana wrote:
bagarre wrote:
Also, I FINALLY took delivery of my IO-360 and prop last week. One step closer!
Must be exciting to finally get the major pieces in hand David!
I think overwhelmed is a better word.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

David I remember that day well, one of my cronies said it best when he saw it which was unrepeatable here!
170 progress    2003-08-25 004.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

The UPS man delivered on time yesterday afternoon; so the un-boxing and inventory proceeded post hast. Looking at all that is required, additional components will be 2 Aero-Quip fittings to make the additional AN fuel line to install the fuel flow transducer. A 1 amp circuit breaker to add to the Avionics buss. Fire sleeve, and some wire. Adel clamps, All in stock but the AeroQuip fittings and Adel clamps. I have used what I have up making the installation on the Cardinal CGR-30P engine monitor.
Close up of the Insight Avionics G2 and Fuel flow transducer
Close up of the Insight Avionics G2 and Fuel flow transducer
Overall view of the whole Insight G2 package as received form Insight Avionics
Overall view of the whole Insight G2 package as received form Insight Avionics
A trip to the Aircraft hardware store is in the plan.
I think I can have this thing installed in a day and a 1/2. We will see.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I finished the installation of the Insight Avionics G2 6 probe EGT-CHT with digital fuel flow, voltage and OAT this last Saturday. And was able to take it up for a test flight with a pilot observer on board so that I could check out the instrument. The picture attached is an extreme lean of peak setting which it was only set at long enough to take the picture. Currently I am only running rich of peak during the break-in of the new engine. I also took an oil sample the engine now has 6.8 hours on it since overhaul.
In the picture I am running at 23 squared about 65% power lean of peak prior to adjusting the fuel flow down to the indicate 7.3 Gals per hour. I will not get a good chance to check these operations out until a little later in the break in flights. I also flew the 177B on Sunday with the new engine and electronics international CGR-30P engine monitor on a 2 hour engine break in on Sunday. It was an interesting comparison between the two instruments. I like both of them however I like the G2 bar graph and temperatures of both the EGT’s and CHT’s below the bar graphs for all cylinders. Both instrument allow very precise Power and fuel flow settings.
G2 showing extreme lean of peak and 23 squared < 65% power
G2 showing extreme lean of peak and 23 squared < 65% power
170 up to speed and coming in close to the Seneca
170 up to speed and coming in close to the Seneca
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I like that you can get all of the temps at a glance on that Insight gauge. What are the numbers across the top, above the bar graphs? I thought maybe CHT in degrees C, but they're too low to correspond with the degree F CHT numbers at the bottom.

On my Electronics International UBG16 I get all 6 bar graphs at once, but I have to cycle through one cylinder at a time to get the EGT and CHT numbers. I like your Insight display better, but not enough to run out and buy one. :wink:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I like that you can get all of the temps at a glance on that Insight gauge. What are the numbers across the top, above the bar graphs? I thought maybe CHT in degrees C, but they're too low to correspond with the degree F CHT numbers at the bottom.

(A) They show degrees lean or rich of peak. As you cross the lean point in each cylinder the colors of the numbers and the boxes switch from an outlined box to a sold box and the numerals change color. With the letter L or R depending an whether you are moving lean or rich of peak EGT. Then as you lean either side of peak EGT they show the degrees lean of peak on each cylinder.
I did a GAMI spread check and my injectors peak across 1.1 Gal/Hr. I just sent the info to GAMi and plan to get a set of balanced injectors. It should get the flow difference down to less than .5 Gal/Hr. The number at the top of the EGT white bar is the Gallons/Hour at peak EGT which logs as Peak is reached and then stays there as you lean or enrich the mixture. Holding the bottom button clears the number at the top of the scales so you may do it all again.

On my Electronics International UBG16 I get all 6 bar graphs at once, but I have to cycle through one cylinder at a time to get the EGT and CHT numbers. I like your Insight display better, but not enough to run out and buy one. :wink:
The Electronics International CGR-30P is similar in this way but there are screens you can see all cylinders at once and you can select auto scans in any screen you are on. It also has screens that allow you to see an engine lay out with the EGT of CHTs written on top of the cylinders as if you were looking down on the engine from above.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I took my first oil analysis and sent it in to Aviation Oil analysis in Phoenix AZ last week for the TCM IO360. The engine has about 8 hours on it since I put it together. As I have been flying it I has had no hiccups or squawks during operation. After having removed the screens to check for bits and pieces finding nothing I wanted to establish a base trend for the engine and be able to see how the engine is breaking in. I was pleasantly surprised last night by the outcome. "No abnormal wear detected for recent overhaul. Resample next oil change to establish wear trend." The high levels were of course Iron (Fe) and Aluminum (Al). However they were both in the High normal range. This is what I would expect for normal break in.
All this gives me peace of mind moving forward.
I have been making trips to the Hangar all week cleaning up and re-organizing after this project. Two engine installations, two engine monitors, and an untold number of annual, cylinder repairs and maintenance on other aircraft in the last year and a half done in my "sic" spare time.
Flying the 170A/210 is a real eye opener. Performance is amazing.
My new GAMI injectors show up this coming Monday at least that is what UPS tracking says. Hoping to fly a long cross county this weekend.
Jim
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Jim, good to hear alls working as hoped for. Are you going to leave it bare aluminum or is a visit to the paint shop in your future?
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

lowNslow wrote:Jim, good to hear alls working as hoped for. Are you going to leave it bare aluminum or is a visit to the paint shop in your future?
I would like to paint it. Just to make taking care of it easier. But cost and other obligations get in the way. I may start painting it my self in a friends personal hangar if he will let me.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Take a look at 3m 1080 vinyl for stripes until you paint it.
The stuff is very easy to work with. If you use the knifeless tape, you can remake the original paint scheme with minimal work.
I wrapped the hood of my car and interior trim pieces with it and plan to use it on 95D as well.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/7316 ... n-1080.pdf
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

bagarre wrote:Take a look at 3m 1080 vinyl for stripes until you paint it.
The stuff is very easy to work with. If you use the knifeless tape, you can remake the original paint scheme with minimal work.
I wrapped the hood of my car and interior trim pieces with it and plan to use it on 95D as well.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/7316 ... n-1080.pdf
I have been thinking of the same thing. However what I really want to do is paint the wings. I have already painted the bottom of the ailerons, flaps, stabilizer and elevator in Dupont IMRON metalic silver. It has to be pointed out to people when they are observing the aircraft up close. Then I would Put the vinyl stripes on the fuselage and paint the cowl and area around the wind screen to match. I would not mind just having to polish the fuselage.
Jim
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Would love to know the paint codes you used for the silver. I'm in the process of priming and painting the bottoms of my control surfaces and can't decide on a silver. The closest I've found is the silver Porsche uses for their wheels.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Update:
I just finished moving the Battery to aft of the baggage compartment Via Del Air STC. I went with a new Concord RG25 battery. This accomplished three things. One it made more room in the engine compartment and other than having to crawl into the Baggage compartment to deal with the Battery it is is now easier to get the battery in and out of the airplane. It was a tight fit on the forward right side of the fire wall and under the upper engine mount leg. Two It shifted the Empty weight CG so that I can now fly the airplane SOLO without ballast in the back cargo area. I am in the utility category weight area with full fuel and under 1900 Lbs Solo. Putting Camping gear in the back of the airplane just makes the Flying CG better. Third it cleaned up the engine compartment so that it is easier to get to the Mags and alternator for Maintenance. The engine has 20 hours on it now since I completed the reassembly. It also now has 180 landing gear legs on it installed per STC purchased from the Cessna 170 Association.
I have 20 Hours flying the airplane now with the new TCM IO-360 engine and have gained confidence in the engine and myself flying the airplane with the new configuration.
I just completed my bi-annual flight review this last weekend and made over 25 Take offs and landings in the airplane over the last two weeks. And I have expanded the flight envelope accomplishing the first 50 degree flap landings since the Mod. I have also added a GEM G2 Engine Monitor and GAMI injectors allowing lean of peak operations with the injected engine. This brings extremely low CHT's below 350 on all six cylinders. My GAMI fuel flow spread at Peak EGT is only.2 Gallons per Hour. Fuel flow at 23 Squared - lean of peak is 7.2 Gals per hour. 125 MPH, 24 squared produces 8.2 Gals per hour and 130 MPH.
I am planning a trip to Schafer Meadows Montana on 9 August and I now have confidence after building complete short soft field flying technique with the new configuration. All landings and Take offs have been under 900 ft measured at Sea level.
Edited Post with a Picture of Me and my newly minted A&P son Tony Just passed his A&P practical last Monday. He's the one in the yellow shirt. Oh and the Cessna 170 in the back ground.
Tony (the one in the yellow shirt) will be flying with me to Montana this August. Just passed his A&amp;P practical last Monday.
Tony (the one in the yellow shirt) will be flying with me to Montana this August. Just passed his A&P practical last Monday.
Regards,
Jim
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Jim, it was a pleasure meeting you at Thud last week. I thought the obvious, that's one sweet machine. You and your son could be the front end for Tom Anderson XP mods and the IO-360 mod as I'm sure others would want to have this engine conversion installed by someone as knowledgeable as yourself. Then again that's a big mountain you've climbed and let's not talk money. Congratulations to the both of you. Nice :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ok, I'm kind of partial to the skull cap spinner with the early cowling. But I might make allowances if an IO360 was installed by the engine fairy. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com