Installing A TCM IO360

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

Re: Installing A TCM IO360

Post by Metal Master »

c170b53 wrote:I might want to put in the later B style hot air distribution duct on the inside of the firewall since your right there now.
I am thinking about it! the fire wall is already drilled for it. The new fire wall I ordered from Cessna when I rebuilt the airplane is stainless steel and predrilled for the later style heat distribution duct on the inside. The fire wall in the pictures is old scrap.
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Attached are pictures of the build up jig with the engine mounted.
I thought I was going to spend the next few days repairing a leaking head gasket in the jeep but it ended up to just be the thermostat cover which only took a couple of hours to fix. So I was able to get back to work on the IO 360. I hope to get the lifters this week and to finish up the engine assembly. I am just waiting for Aircraft Specialties to send them to me. I am taking the rest of the day off and just staring at the engine and thinking about it.
Jim
Attachments
Engine mounted in Build up Jig II RS.jpg
Engine mounted in Build up Jig RS.jpg
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Jim, looks great! As one of the kibitzer from my neighborhood said when he saw my engine "he got a woody just looking at it".

I am sure you will find this soon enough you cannot have the fuel injection distribution spider where you have it if you intend to reverse the air intake manifold.

Have you worked out changing the angle of you oil filler? On my engine the filler pipe already had and angle and I did have to turn it a little to get to pass through the rear baffle behind the intake manifold.

Are you going to use a vacuum pump? I used a Repco (sp) while it fits between the accessory case and the firewall to remove and install it I do have to back out two mounting studs as I remove it.

170 progress    2004-06-27 001.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

johneeb wrote:Jim, looks great! As one of the kibitzer from my neighborhood said when he saw my engine "he got a woody just looking at it".

I am sure you will find this soon enough you cannot have the fuel injection distribution spider where you have it if you intend to reverse the air intake manifold.

Have you worked out changing the angle of you oil filler? On my engine the filler pipe already had and angle and I did have to turn it a little to get to pass through the rear baffle behind the intake manifold.

Are you going to use a vacuum pump? I used a Repco (sp) while it fits between the accessory case and the firewall to remove and install it I do have to back out two mounting studs as I remove it.

170 progress 2004-06-27 001.jpg
I have a C model IO 360 so the vacuum pump drive is turned 90 degrees. I do plan to run a vacuum pump. The engine has an accessory drive for a Hydraulic pump which of course I am not using. I am not giving up on installing the injection system in the original location it is partially why I am building it up on this Jig, I have a plan to modify the cowl to clear the front of the injections system. I will see later. I plan to go down to the hangar tomorrow to take some measurements for attaching some flanges that will allow me to attach the cowl on this assembly.
I am having to much fun with this.
Johneeb. How much clearance do yo have at the alternator? I am thinking of making a relief in the firewall to allow it to be removed.
Jim
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Jim, I did have to R&R the alternator (bad diode) last year and it comes out without re-leaving the firewall. I did protect the firewall finish while doing the R&R as it is easy to scratch the finish.
170 progress    2004-01-28 002.jpg
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
170C

Post by 170C »

Great looking engine! I have looked at the photos and at John's installation and have concluded that that engine would look mighty good on my plane. Like a lot of those, not all, I don't really need an upgrade, but it would be nice to have. I just need to find someone who wants to do a conversion on a early 172 and use my airframe as a proof of concept :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

170C wrote:Great looking engine! I have looked at the photos and at John's installation and have concluded that that engine would look mighty good on my plane. Like a lot of those, not all, I don't really need an upgrade, but it would be nice to have. I just need to find someone who wants to do a conversion on a early 172 and use my airframe as a proof of concept :roll:
The 172 is already approved on Tom's STC and it has already been done. :cry: :)
Jim
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Frank,
If your C-172 has a "stepped" firewall, maybe you could use a stock engine mount from a Hawk XP and save big bux!
I've just been re-reading "Cessna, Wings For The World" again. The author mentions that the C-172 on Edo 2400 floats with the TCM IO-360 engine made the nicest small float plane ever.
Do you have your SES pilot rating yet, Frank?
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Metal Master wrote:
170C wrote:Great looking engine! I have looked at the photos and at John's installation and have concluded that that engine would look mighty good on my plane. Like a lot of those, not all, I don't really need an upgrade, but it would be nice to have. I just need to find someone who wants to do a conversion on a early 172 and use my airframe as a proof of concept :roll:
The 172 is already approved on Tom's STC and it has already been done. :cry: :)
Jim
You got no reason to not do it now :lol:

On another note, we finally found a VAR crank to put into my new case halves.
Anyone who has ever looked for a used VAR crank will appreciate that.

So, Next is the exhaust. He still wants to try the HawkXP exhaust but we'll probably go the O-300 route as well.

What's the opinions on a Spinner being optional on a constant speed prop? I'd rather not have to find or install one.
170C

Post by 170C »

Dick, my 172 is a '56 so it has the same firewall as all 170's and 172's, 180's, etc up until the early '60's. At this point I am just thinking how nice the conversion would be. A nice place to sink lots of $$$ :D
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Frank,
If you figure any way to "Take it with you", just let me know, but don't wait too long. I'm already a good deal older.
If I was in any kind of physical condition to work on or fly an airplane again, you can bet your sweet ass I'd be in the throes of another conversion of a C-170 or an early C-172 to a TCM IO-360 flyer. I'd probably do it even if I did find a way to take "it" along.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Dick is spot on IMO. Rarely do people regret doing things as much as they regret not doing things.

On another note,
I was just reading the STC paperwork regarding the exhaust and realized the Hawk XP exhaust isn’t a permitted option for the 170.
The HawkXP exhaust (and baffles for that matter) are called out as options for Cessna 172B,C,D,E,F,G or H serial numbers 17247747 to 17256512.

So even if they could be made to fit we'd need separate approval for them. And at that point, I'd make up the six into 1 beast of an exhaust Dick had on his bird. Man, does that look good!

Also, I got the 2A34C203-90 DCA-10 (80 inch) propeller for my install.
What's the real advantage of an 80" inch prop over a 76" prop? Just better climb or will it be better in cruise as well?

Happy New Year!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

David,
What did that 80" prop come off of? I thought the STC called for an 82" which was standard on a C-182. The CS prop that I finally installed was a c-203 hub with 82' blades that came off of a C182 on a 3 blade swap.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

blueldr wrote:David,
What did that 80" prop come off of? I thought the STC called for an 82" which was standard on a C-182. The CS prop that I finally installed was a c-203 hub with 82' blades that came off of a C182 on a 3 blade swap.
Mine came off a 182 as well.
2A34C203-90 DCA is a 90" prop. The -10 means it's cut down 10 inches leaving 80 inches.
The STC calls for that prop to be not over 80 inches not under 76.5 inches.

There isn't an 82 inch prop called out in the STC.
The 2A34C209 and the 2A34C67 hub calls for 76 to 74.5 inches.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I installed the cowl over the engine on the jig today to determine if clearance could be obtained for the stock location of the fuel injection and induction system. My determination is that it can. I took the engine mount and airframe structure down to Toms earlier this week to discuss some issues I had with the assembly and drawing. He is going to make some corrections after what I showed him. I am going to make some mods to the cowl to clear the propeller bolts & nuts for the IO 360 installation. But the mods are all within the STC instructions. pictures attached
Attachments
Cowl on build up jig closed clear RS.jpg
Cowl on build up jig open clear RS.jpg