Installing A TCM IO360

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

Re: Installing A TCM IO360

Post by blueldr »

One of the most outrageously priced parts needed on this conversion is the Cessna firewall shut off valve used on their fuel injected models. I strongly suggest that you querry the junkers for the old Maule part, a Ford truck part, which Maule apparently had approved. The Maule header tank is a winner too, and I found mine with the FWSOV attached. CHEEEEEP!
BL
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

BL,
I looked into that, I did get a fire wall shut off valve and as I have welding facility and machining capability I am manufacturing the header tank and fittings.
I am machining aluminum rings for the Lord mounts today. The original part was magnesium. Tom Anderson let me borrow one to copy.
It is interesting that most of the rest of the Cessna engine mounts for the 520 series engines have this adapter. (Donut part number 1451001-1) as a weldment on the engine mount made of steel and is not a separate part. It is similar to the Piper Seneca engine mount cradle. Cessna must have been trying to save weight on the Hawk XP and 337. I visited my engine mount at Tom's the day before yesterday and he has all of the diagonals cut and is getting ready tack weld it together. Tom has been great to work with.
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I took my chances on a FWSOV on ebay and got lucky. I'll still replace the o-rings in it but it is serviceable.

I have the Maule header tank from Dick that I plan to cut thinner to fit under the side panel <- also Dick's idea.

My motor mount is finished, the prop is ready (decided to go constant speed after all) and they just split the case on the motor.
Gonna need a crank as it's a non-VAR but it was a non-rotating propstrike and I didn't want to take any chances. It wont be an overhaul since it's a 700 hour motor.

We're going the Hawk XP exhaust route to simplify things a little.

Any chance you could cut me a set of Lord mounts as well?
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

48RagwingPilot wrote:Does Mr. Anderson's STC cover the '48 C-170? Just curious. Thx.
Per the STC which I have in my hands while writing this. It covers the 170, 170A and 170B all model of the 172 up through the172H and F172H all models of the Cessna 175 and the P172D
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Any chance you could cut me a set of Lord mounts as well?[/quote]

I just got a complete Cessna 336 Sky Master Not 337 front engine exhaust. It is the same exhaust as used on the Hawk XP same part numbers. However in talking about with Tom Anderson he says it will not fit on the 170 it will not go between the lower diagonals of the engine mount. Although it may be able to be made to fit. I will see. I stuck it on the bottom of the engine in the engine stand last night. And I sure would like it to fit. Any way he said it would fit on the 172 stepped fire wall installation, he had one of these in the other engine mount Jig and I made some measurements between the two mounts and there is considerable difference between the two mounts. The angle of the lower tube to the front of the engine mount cradle is wider which allows the hawk XP exhaust to fit.
Any chance you could cut me a set of Lord mounts as well?[/quote]
It took me nearly 14 hours to machine the Donuts out on my lathe. (old school lathe) They are $220 from Cessna $880 for all four they have 53 in stock. You will probably have difficulty finding them in a Cessna catalog. I finally found the correct item number, figure drawing in the Cessna 337 parts catalog. The Cessna R172 parts catalog has the part number in the numerical index but identifies it as a washer on the bolt that attaches lower engine mount to the Fire wall and is incorrect. The Cessna T41-B/ Cessna R172E catalog does not identify them at all. And I wonder if it is a weldment on the T41B engine mount. In any case 14 hours at $75/Hour my shop rate would be to much and I would have to give them to you as they are owner produced parts. So No sorry. But you are welcome to come over and use my lathe
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Aryana wrote:This is the coolest mod ever. If I ever have enough spare money lying around I would love to pay someone to help me get this engine.

I like the IO-470/520 series engines but there's something about the elegance of design in the O-300/IO-360 that I like a lot more! Specifically the intake arrangement on the IO-360 looks like heaven to me (in regards to ease of servicibility).
Aryana,
I really like the TCM IO360 as well mostly because it is a compact sized engine and has the induction on the top and the exhaust on the bottom. The TCM IO 550 has the same arrangement. I installed a TCM IO 550 in a Cessna 210N a few years back and it was amazing how much better the IO 550 fit in the cowling than the original IO 520.
If you look at the pictures of John's IO 360 installation you may notice that the Induction system is reversed on the top of the engine. The STC allows for it to be installed either way. It requires modification to the #5 and #6 induction tubes to fit. I am nowhere near this far on in my installation. Part of the charm of the TCM IO 360 installation is that it "fits inside the 170 cowling without modification to the cowl". However in my opinion the modification to the induction system while not aesthetically problematic as the blisters on the Lycoming 180 HP conversion it adds to the pain of the conversion to an TCM IO 360. But it is just time to me.
On other issues I went to see progress on my engine mount again this week and it is coming along. I also took my machined engine mount spacers down to check fit on the engine mount. They fit which was no surprise as I had the originals as a model to manufacture mine from. I was also able to check fit of the Hawk XP exhaust (Actually front exhaust from a Cessna 336) I received from White Industries on both the stepped fire wall mount for the later 172's and the Cessna 170 engine mount in Tom's shop. It will not fit on the 170 engine mount without modification. Tom and I both think it can be made to fit with modification. It will fit on the stepped engine mount for the later Cessna 172's . There is a note on the engine mount drawing that comments something to the affect that the cross tube on the rear of the engine mount from the 337 engine mount (that is the base of what becomes the STC engine mount) has to be rotated aft to clear the Hawk XP exhaust. The Hawk XP exhaust is the same exhaust used on the 336 Skymaster (Not 337 Skymaster) I laid the Hawk XP exhaust up alongside the 172 IO 360 that Tom has at his shop, it has the modified O300 exhaust on it. And from appearances would seem to fit with no problems. Any way these issues will all be worked out when I am actually doing the installation. I am just trying to be proactive to prevent issues for myself down the road.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Metal Master,
I suggest you closely check to see if that set of R172 Hawk XP exhaust headers will clear the Anderson engine mount which is normally made from a C-337 rear mount. If I remember correctly, I had a set of C-337 front headers that were too close.

As a matter of fact, I still have a real good set of C-337 front exhaust headers that I' sell very reasonably.
BL
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

blueldr wrote:Metal Master,
I suggest you closely check to see if that set of R172 Hawk XP exhaust headers will clear the Anderson engine mount which is normally made from a C-337 rear mount. If I remember correctly, I had a set of C-337 front headers that were too close.

As a matter of fact, I still have a real good set of C-337 front exhaust headers that I' sell very reasonably.
They will not fit without modification. If at all on the 170 or early flat firewall 172's
Jim
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

In fact, the guy putting mine together is having a bear of a time with the Hawk XP exhaust and we're looking at other options.

Dick, do you know for sure that the 337 headers will clear the mount and fit under the cowl? I'd love to do something like that with a Y-Pipe to dump it out the bottom.
Not sure what the approval will look like but the IO360 STC leaves much to the imagination anyway. :roll:
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

What's wrong with the stock mufflers and Bartone exhaust extensions? John Barrett has those on his airplane, and it's a nice setup. I tell everyone down here about John's airplane, and they just salivate...they think that the IO-360 conversion is the coolest thing ever.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Here are photos of Dick's installation showing his exhaust system. If I remember correctly he had the exhaust made by Kinsley.
MVC-006F.JPG
MVC-005F.JPG
MVC-004F.JPG
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

johneeb wrote:Here are photos of Dick's installation showing his exhaust system. If I remember correctly he had the exhaust made by Kinsley.
MVC-006F.JPG
MVC-005F.JPG
MVC-004F.JPG
How much of a weight increase is this conversion over the stock installation if using a fixed-pitch propeller? What size propeller was used? I would love more power, but I don't want more weight...I love how light the airplane flies.

Dick, I hope you see this. I'd love to know more about your install.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Wow !!! Those exhausts look so cool . Really beautiful. They look so good they shouldn't be put on a aircraft to be eaten away with time . That's a real neat system .
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Johneeb,

I forgot that there were pictures of the IO-360 exhaust that Knisley made for me. One of Knisleys workers, Shawn, made it .
I had the whole firewall forward on an engine build up stand, including the cowlkng, and took it over to their place in Loomis, CA., and they built it. If I remember correctly, the two headers were made from headers for a Piper Pawnee ag plane. The botton "Y" pipe was a rear engine pipe for a Cessna 336. (The C-336 is so scarce that they thought they'd never get rid of those parts and gave me a good price on it.)
Damn! That exhaust had a really sweet sound, No muffler!. When I sold the IO-360 set up, I sold the exhaust to Ed McGavock over in Wisconsin. The guy that bought the rest of the engine conversion wanted the modified stock exhaust as per the STC so that it would look more original.
My old original stock exhaust was far too contaminated to even consider any sort of welding on it to modify it for the new configuration.
The cabib heat exchanger that I built on the left bank header pipe would have been more effective if the exhaust header had more finns or something to improve the heat sink effect, but it was better than nothing at all.
BL
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I finished the 500 hour inspection on the magnetos this week end and started working on the alternator. It needs new bearings, a seal and brushes. I have to order parts. Then engine is assembled except the oil cooler and lifters which I will not put in until I am ready to install the engine. I am going to leave the oil cooler off until I fit the baffling. I will not install the induction system fuel injection system until I start fitting it inside the cowl. I picked up the engine mount Friday afternoon hopefully it will go to get magna-fluxed by the end of this week. A couple of pictures for fun.
Attachments
Engine assembeld 2.JPG
Engine assembeled.JPG