Installing A TCM IO360

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Metal Master

Re: Installing A TCM IO360

Post by Metal Master »

Johneb,
It looks like you put an AN reducer right at the 90 degree fitting at the fire wall to the electric fuel pump. From the picture it is hard to tell. I assume your line from the reducer to the elec. pump is 3/8ths, with -6 fittings? Yes?
On the A model like I have the inlet to the heater is right in the middle of all of this so I have to work around it. I am on the way to the Supply store this week to buy another hand full of fittings.
Regards,
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.c ... an894-d8-6
Jim, this is the fitting I used it is an AN894-D8-6. I do not recall Pegasus comment about using an O-ring but I must have and it has been leak free for near 500 hours.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
170C

Post by 170C »

John, if I had known previously, I had forgotten you had your accumulator tank in the side, forward of the door post. I had heard of some others doing that and figured the tank had to be pretty thin in order to fit. I understand there are some of the IO-360 Continental conversions that were done without an accumulator tank, but I think that might not be a good option. If I recall the C-206 has two accumulator tanks (?) under the cabin floor. Would be interesting if someone doing one of these conversions had the forethought and time to document, both in print and photos, the process so the next one who undertakes such a project would have some good guidance. Wish I had on on my bird!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I stopped over last night and talked with Tom Anderson about the issues addressed in my last post concerning the header tank and issues with plumbing and routing of the fuel lines both inside the cabin and outside the firewall. He gave me some background into some of the historical changes and how it affected the STC installation.
Originally he was using the header tank for a Maul which had the TCM IO-360 installed in it and that is what drove the location of the fittings on the top of the tank because that was the way the Maul tank was configured. The Maul header tank had -6 AN fittings for the supply line through the shut off valve all of the way to the electric fuel pump which also made the use of the Maul fuel shut off valve. Both the Maul header tank and the Maul fuel shut off valve became unavailable which drove Tom to start using the fuel shut off valve from a Cessna Cardinal which is currently called off in the STC installation drawings by Cessna’s part number. This is what drove the lower feed being changed to -8 AN fittings. I also discussed with him the omission from his instruction of the need for a reducer in the instructions from -8 to -6 to allow the feed line connection to the Electric fuel pump. I also showed him the configuration of the R172E and K which has -6 supply line fittings through the valve (a different part number) all the way to the electric fuel pump. I wonder if it is available at a reasonable cost. I doubt it
Tom is getting a new version of the STC ready to go that is going address several issues and it is being turned into the FAA this week in fact today. I gave him several drawing change issues that needed to be incorporated. Three different part numbers for the fuel shut off valve are going to be included as well as some additional baffling options that were driven by my use of the forward section of the from Sky master baffling pieces. Tom is also getting a LOA (Letter of Authorization) that will allow him to make small typo corrections and error corrections to equipment in the STC without going through a whole new revision of the STC bay including a REV log in the front of the STC.
I also discussed with the fact that his drawing for the firewall installation is essentially for the 170B and does not address either the 170 or 170A which the STC also includes and cannot be configured as drawn as the 170 and 170A which have an entirely different cabin heater design and it is in the way of the current configuration.
I am going to the airport at Auburn today and try to get more done. Tomorrow I have to get up to Skagit Regional and annual the C-140A
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Update: I managed to get the fuel tanks installed this weekend although it was 95 degrees on the ramp outside the hangar on Saturday. I worked early on Sunday and knocked off before it got to hot. Us Seattleites are not used to this hot of temperatures. While having the 3/8 inch Nipples welded into the outboard side of each tank and having the tanks out I took the opportunity to drill extra holes 30 degrees off of the original holes for the fuel tank cap adapters in each tank. This allows the fuel tank adapters to be installed with the vented fuel caps finger grips to be installed in the line of flight. I have wanted to do this for years. I completed the fuel vent plumbing and made all of the flex lines from the fire wall to the engine and through the baffling. I put bulkhead fittings at the baffling so that each section of baffling can be removed without having to pull the line through the baffling to remove it. With that I put five gallons of fuel in the tanks and ran a flush out of the system down to the electric driven fuel pump. After connecting the pump line I was able to establish gravity fuel feed all the way to the fuel distribution spider on the top of the engine. I manufactured new fuel tank gaskets for the fuel gauges and tank adapters and sealed them with fuel lube. No leaks noted. (Note: The fuel gauge gasket that Aircraft Spruce sells for the Scott fuel gauges are not thick enough to fill the machined .040 inset of the Cessna fuel tanks. I ran a thread chaser through all of the ¼ -28 screw holes in the flanges of the tanks for the Scott gauges as they were slightly corroded and the screws were difficult to remove on dis-assembly. I must have had the tanks in and out now 10 + times getting them located and the holes cut in the ribs outboard of the tanks for the new vent system.
Next big project is the exhaust. The new stainless tubing is supposed to show up by the end of the day today by the brown truck. The Dogs look forward to greeting the UPS driver they know when he is coming from three blocks away.
Left is:
Exhaust
Instrumentation
Wiring
Controls: Prop, throttle, mixture, fuel shut off cable.
Propeller install
Cowl install
And start this Baby up
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

August 6th 2015 N1208D IO-360 Engine Install Update
First what has been accomplished so far to date?
The engine is installed on its mounts and is essentially permanently installed with all new hardware along with the 4130 steel engine mount. The Prop is not installed to allow easier working around the front o the engine. All baffling in installed and completed. The header tank has been manufactured and installed along with the complete fuel vent system from the engine driven fuel pump at the front of the engine all the way to the header tank and then up to the main fuel tanks. The main fuel tanks have been modified with ne vent nipple on the out board end and the fuel vent routed out to the wing strut through the check valve installed in each wing behind the strut inside the wing. The fuel tanks have been modified to allow the late style vented fuel caps installed with the handles in the line of flight. The fuel tank lids could be installed but I am waiting until I have operated the fuel system with the engine running. In that way I may inspect all of the connections with full fuel and fuel being returned through the vents. The electric fuel pump has been installed along with all plumbing. The new magneto switch with key start, the start relay has been installed. However no electrical connections have been made to any of the electrical components. The old fuel vent on the top of the cabin has been removed and the remaining hole left from removing the vent has been patched and sealed. The exhaust system has been completed which included manufacturing completely new risers from scratch from 1 ½ inch seamless .049 wall stainless tubing. That required rolling beads in the end that installs into the mating tubes in the heat muff for all six risers. Fitting the angles into the flange side and manufacturing the special riser for the number 1 and 6 exhaust ports so that they would clear the 1 & 6 exhaust valve push rod tube. This also required cutting off the curved tube welded to the end of the number 1 & 6 ends of the heat muff and welding in a spacer to allow it align with the new riser. This entire unit still has to be bolted on and the outlets modified to extend through the original holes in the lower cowling.

What has yet to be accomplished looking forward.
I have created a new list of things to do prioritized by 1, 2 and 3rd levels and whether it comprises work purchase or outside work. There is only 1 outside work requirement and that is a re-seal of the engine driven fuel pump as it is leaking out of the mixture control shaft seal. I have secured a 5 amp circuit breaker for the field of the Alternator control unit, 10 amp circuit breaker for the electric fuel pump and a switch for the control of the electric fuel pump. I have ordered an alternator control unit from zeftronics through Aircraft Spruce as well as a Cessna double rocker shaft master switch and alternator field switch combination. I have yet to remove the old tachometer and cable. Then I need to wire up all of the above listed electrical components. I have a throttle, mixture and prop controls to install and the Fuel shut off control cable to install. I have yet to install the oil pressure line from the engine to the instrument however I am waiting on this last item awaiting my new instrument from Electronics international. I had to remove the pitot static port from the left side of the fuselage to install the header tank. I need to re-install that and then remove the venturi and install the vacuum pump and vacuum regulator. Once all of this is done then I will install the prop and establish fuel pressure and hope to run the engine. I am beginning to see the end of this adventure. I have to install doublers for the new access panels I cut outboard of the tanks to allow easy installation and maintenance of the fuel vent lines outboard of the main fuel tanks. It is a pretty short list compared to the beginning and multiple lists behind this project. 37 items left to do.
I got the exhaust welded together and got it installed today. My new tig GTAW welder is really cool. I cleaned and polished the Hanlin Wilson exhaust shrouds. This was a major mile stone. I had a shot of single malt to celebrate! I should probably re-set the date on my camera.
Attachments
Right side exhaust close up RS.jpg
right side exhaust full view w Guard dog RS.jpg
Left side exhaust with Guard dog RS.jpg
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Looking good Jim, thanks for the update. You have been working on this project sense 1-1-04?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

johneeb wrote:Looking good Jim, thanks for the update. You have been working on this project sense 1-1-04?
Thanks Johneeb
I have been having trouble with my camera and I forgot to change the date after changing the batteries. I could not get it take pictures at all the other day when I wanted to take pictures of the exhaust build process. I have been working on the exhaust for the last two months as time allows. I was suppose to be removing the landing gear actuator out a Swift yesterday but my customer got sick and couldn't make it. I hope to be working on the exhaust outlets and wiring today but I also have to work on the electric boost pumps on the Seneca and do a compression on the PA-20. So many airplanes so little time! I think I have been working on this since middle of 2014 but I am not sure as time fly's. I would have to back to the beginning of this thread to know for sure.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

Yesterday was major jump in the TCM IO-360 installation. I completed the wiring installation along with the new circuit breakers and put battery power on the airplane for the first time since I stood the airplane down to start the conversion. Over the last two weeks I have installed the throttle mixture and prop controls. I have taken an additional day off from work this Labor Day weekend to hopefully get far enough along to run the engine. I have the electric fuel pump wired with the new Cessna double rocker high low and emergency electric fuel pump rocker switch and also a new Cessna double rocker master switch with separate rockers for the battery master and alternator circuits. I also installed the resistor network and ran both high and low boost pump pressure yesterday as well all electrical circuits ran first time out of the box. The electric fuel pump is wired through a throttle operated micro switch at the Fuel metering (FMU) on the top of the engine and then the resistor network to allow low boost pressure at low throttle settings and Higher Less than emergency fuel flow for more open throttle settings. This feature is there to provide fuel pressure in the event of an engine driven fuel pump failure. I took this opportunity to replace all of the fuses with circuit breakers in a new sub panel I built under the edge of the instrument panel. Today I hope to get the cowling installed back on the airplane, tie up some loose ends and get ready to run the engine tomorrow.
Lower Circuit Breaker Panel RS.jpg
I had planned to retain the piano switches in a tip to keeping the instrument panel appearance original. However with the new engine driven vacuum pump and the desire to add a Directional Gyro to the upper panel I finally determine to remove the piano switches, drop the Turn and Bank down to above where the switches used to be and moved all of the switches to the new lower sub panel. All of this made installing the throttle, prop and mixture controls a much less complicated endeavor. The arrangement of the throttle, prop and mixture control would have been sort of helter skelter with keeping the piano switches. Now they are all across the bottom of the instrument panel in a row similar to late model Cessna’s with the throttle to the left the prop in the center and mixture to the right at the bottom of the upper panel. I have to tell you installing the circuit breaker and copper plate buss makes the wiring so much neater and easier to work on. I wished I had done that much - long ago.
Throttle Mixture & Prop Control RS.jpg
A note on the Piano switches: The actual switches that Cessna used and operated by the back of the levers in the grommets were double pole double throw switches with a center off position. And they used a small J bracket over the threads of the switch to block off half of the movement of the switch. By Cessna doing this it allows the piano keys to be level or flat in the off position. If the J brackets are removed the Piano switch can be clicked to the down on and up on position allowing a switch to operate two separate systems although only one at a time. If any of your piano switches can be clicked both up and down the J bracket has most likely been removed from the individual switch.
Switch J hook RS.jpg
I have installed the original double pole double throw switches in the new panel with j Hooks. I will replace with single throw double pole switchs later. You can see the J hooks installed under the switches in this view.
I have installed the original double pole double throw switches in the new panel with j Hooks. I will replace with single throw double pole switchs later. You can see the J hooks installed under the switches in this view.
I added these pictures today. Tuesday morning. I did not get as far as I hoped yesterday and do not know if I will get the engine ran today. I did have the cowl off and on several times yesterday. I am delaying installing the propeller until after the cowl fit is finalized to keep from injuring the prop blades and having to work around the prop.
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

New pictures added to previous post
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

engine & cowl installed with dog II.jpg
Well it was a long four day weekend or vacation as some might say and I did not get to run the engine but I got the cowl fit around the baffling and the prop installed and the new bracket air filter installed. This spinner is huge I would like to find a smaller one but it is what it is.
engine & cowl installed with dog II.jpg
Attachments
Nose Bowl Reassembeld RS.jpg
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

The propeller had been installed last weekend along with the cowl and a new Bracket foam air filter element.
Friday afternoon I took the cowl off and then removed the engine driven fuel pump to take home and disassemble for cleaning in the solvent tank. After cleaning new drive seals and O-rings were installed in the pump in accordance with instructions contained in the Teledyne Continental Motors fuel systems manual. Saturday morning at the hangar I removed all of the previously installed fuel lines which had not as yet had fire sleeve installed and fit fire sleeve to those lines and then installed them back in the engine compartment. The fuel pump was re-installed and the fuel system turned on. The electric boost pump was run to pressurize the system and check for leaks. The Throttle, Mixture and Prop controls were checked for proper travels. The good news is the fuel pump does not leak anymore and all three speeds of the electric pump function although they are not set to final pressures yet.
The lower plugs were removed and nine quarts of Phillips XC II mineral oil was installed in the engine. Why Phillips? It was donated by Steve Sogg. The engine was cranked over with the oil line removed at the gauge fitting until oil was observed at the end of the line and then reconnected. The engine was cranked over for a total of one minute and forty seconds before 30 Lbs. oil pressure was indicated. The mag timing was double checked to be set at 20 degrees on both mags. . The plugs were re-installed and the leads reconnected. No oil or fuel leaks were noted. We pushed the airplane outside with Steve as an outside observer standing by with a fire extinguisher. The electric fuel pump was run until fuel was observed draining from the manifold port drains. The electric fuel pump was turned off, the throttle set at about ½ inch. Brakes set clear called and seconded. The Mag starter switched to start and the engine turned over and fired up within two blades. I had no throttle to control idle so I killed the engine with the mixture which immediately stopped the engine. A check of the throttle showed it was not making the idle stop. After making an adjustment to the rod end and looking the engine over for other anomalies a second successful start was made and the following observations made. Idle is high at 1100 RPM. Oil pressure cold is 50 PSI. Engine ran up to approximately 1500 rpm and allowed to stabilize. Engine shut down with Mag to check secure mag switch. Another look over the engine shows no anomalies. Another start was made and the engine ran up to 1800 RPM. The propeller was exercised several times reducing RPM by 500. The engine was run to 1900 RPM and rpm reduced to 1800 with propeller control. Throttle was advanced and RPM was observed to be controlled by propeller. Propeller RPM was increased back up 1900 RPM and the throttle was advanced to 2600 and allowed to stabilize for a few seconds. Throttle turned down to low idle still at 1100 RPM. Engine was shut down with mixture. A look over of the engine showed no leaks or anomalies.
The throttle, prop and mixture controls all have to be removed for further work on the instrument panel and paint and label the new center panel and cut out the panel for the combination manifold and fuel pressure instrument.
I probably have another month of details to work but the engine runs great. A few run squawks to work out. Full RPM will be 2800 RPM but I do not want to run it there without full instrumentation and the cowl installed and absolute idle capability. The throttle was observed to be still not making the idle stop. The idle RPM, Idle mixture, Idle fuel flow and full RPM fuel flow all need to be set and adjusted to TCM SB 97-3F specifications.
Jim
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Thanks for the update Jim, sure am enjoying see this come together. Just wish it was mine.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
TANDERSON9918A

Post by TANDERSON9918A »

Jim, All

Great to see your getting your silver bird together, Its looking great.

It has been at least 15 years since I have posted anything on this great site. I had to go through a lot of 0/0 IFR, icing, and severe turbulence in my previous EX-XP partners/wife to get to a place of higher learning. My thanks goes out to all that have supported me through the years. George, Dick, John B, Shawn.....to name but a few.

Great news for the 170 TCM Conversions. My STC SA00728SE The FAA has my latest amendment all but wrapped up with current project SA12374SE-A I have my final meeting on Thursday to go over the instructions for installation with the various models. The NEW instructions for continued airworthiness, ICA, will be approved at last, cleanups in drawing errors and vague notations have been cleaned up at least 80%. I know there are a few more to nail down. We are going to be adding parts that are impossible to find, we are going to support this conversion and make every attempt to mass produce parts for not only the home builders but the licensed shops that will be able to do the work quickly to save money for the guy who wants a modern 6 cylinder powerplant.

There is no doubt this is the best conversion for the 170. The 172, thru P172D, 175, and the FR models as well. For that matter any aircraft that used the C-145, O300, or GO300. The expense is overwhelming to the common core of us. I know this. But safety has always been my main reason for advocating this conversion. This smooth running IO360 has the best of both worlds, a relatively low fuel consumption yet has the capability to have extra power when needed. Especially on takeoff.

Jim, don't hesitate to come on by if you need anything. I know you are close. Did you find any more problems with the drawings? We still have time to add them into the latest amendment.

Also to all the posts or even the ones I was in denial to read over the past years I want to clear up rumor out of control or FAA interpolated regulations in general.

1) The largest one I see, saw, were posts that said "engine mounts" can only be produced by PMA. FALSE. When allowed by the STC holder under authorization 21.120. related, AC 20-62E particularly Para 4 (6)n, 21.2, 43.7, 43.12, and 91.417. The approved DATA is the key. Example. If Continental allows one to rebuild an engine using the approved data then you can rebuild the engine and that is one ultimate critical part! The mount drawings I released, to builders like Jim, is approved data. The drawings are approved. The mounts were not for sale. But the approved data was/is until I get my PMA soon again. I will keep you guys posted. If I allow it I can sell the drawing and allow others individually to use the drawing to produce an engine mount. I can go a step further if I want and allow a company like Acorn, Kosola or others to produce the mount under their PMA. The mounts that were sold and produced by others always had my say one way or another. My jig for example was used as required by the approved drawing.

2) I sold mounts / parts that were not produced under PMA. FALSE Never did, never will. Granted the FAA, and even the IRS, have regulations that some call loop holes. Like 21.9a5 or a6 If we did not have those the world would stop rotating. I sent a few unfinished mounts out to people who were fitting them and they never returned them. They were "staged" to be returned. I sold drawings of my main gear...again approved data and those were produced. The FAA and MIDO with their team did investigate me for one or two disgruntled customers made or claims EX-XP partners/wife made, for 6 years 2007-2013 !!! I was never charged nor fined. I was exonerated of any wrong doing! I still have an A+ in their eyes and we work together today like a finely oiled machine.

3) I scuttled the company XP Mods so EX-XP partners/wife could not get my dreams fortune. TRUE and FALSE In 2008 I was forced to choose between my hundreds of customer’s supporters and EX-XP partners/wife. This meant I would either give control to a Charlatan D Court or take control. I choose to take control file bankruptcy and rebuild it all again free and clear of slavery lawyer/EX-XP partners/wife control ...sound familiar The Charlatan D Court would have sold off the STC's to who knew who? to shuffle away the dreams of a man’s super170B dream and landing gear too. These all were built way before the idea of a corporation ever existed. After the BR I personally found and paid all the little guys that had helped me in one way or another. In 2009 8 people gathered for an XP Mods auction. I came loaded for Bear and had a Bear with me. Jerry Buster (late) from JC Aviation, Thomas OK. A long time friend and dealer for XP Mods and my STC's. Together we won all 4 of the STC's back for pennies on the dollar. They went for a total of 25K . The Charlatan EX-XP partners/wife had the TCM engine conversion STC appraised at $800,000 the other STC's at $600,000 combined. This alone was criminal. The best a single STC in this category ever went for in the open market was 20K. As far as a fortune, not a great way to make your million, or billion in this day and age. It turns out we made a wage. We paid our bills and we were able to raise two great kids that are doing awesome. So many positive things came of this seemingly sad story. Today we have 7 employees and we are making landing gear for 170's and Skywagons. We are again making FAA Approved engine mounts and many sought after parts like gear shims and upper wedges. We are paying our bills and we are able to raise new generation kids like employee Jessie and his 4 mo old boy Max. We are forming many gear legs and making it work in our new location at the Renton Airport here in WA. We are just under 2 miles from the FAA and the gateway to Alaska, Idaho, and beyond. We are living in great times.

4) Tom Anderson is gone no one will ever see him in business again. He has vanished off the face of the earth... You guys know that answer even though some wished for it. My tenacity, persistence, safety conscience and love for this business will keep me and my son working for as long as the great Sky Gods allow. The XP 210 Mods is still the name of the engine conversion www.thelandinggearworks.com is the PMA and I am the sole member of the LLC. The STC's are in my name Mr Thomas Anderson with license to The Landing Gear Works.
I live by my word and my father taught me that a man’s word is the most important asset. Some times I need a little help and I always listen to my customers. I am never above learning from people who know things I don’t.
Here are a few great sayings by a famous figures “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
“When you have a great and difficult task, something perhaps almost impossible, if you only work a little at a time, every day a little, suddenly the work will finish itself.”

Again thank you guys and Gals for the great ride and Thank Cessna for a great machine.....the 170

TW Tom
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

It has been a while since I posted to this mod discussion mostly because the work being accomplished is minor and detail oriented and does not show much in the way of progress.
The fuel tanks and lids have been installed which allowed me to re-install the head liner. I hope to replace the head liner with an Airtex head liner someday as this one is old and tattered. However I am toying with the idea of sewing my own. I purchase interior materials for Boeing airplanes on occasion as a part of my job so know the issues.
Headliner re-installed RS.jpg
The engine is complete with all engine controls and most importantly the exhaust. You can see the picture here.
left side engine installed with exhaust RS.jpg
The cowl has been off and on so many times making baffling and control changes before and after engine runs that I do not care to do it anymore. But it is what it is. I have a request in for field approval in with the FAA for a Horizon instruments tachometer. The dollars I have been saving up for the Electronics International engine monitor keep getting eaten up by failing hot water tanks, tractor tires, vehicle maintenance ad nauseam. The FAA inspectors I work with through Boeing are used to me turning in paper work and I have the process down to an art. They like having all of the ducks all lined up and dress right dressed for their ease of review. . We are doing a coordinated field approval with the ACO (Aircraft Certification Office). The inspector says it all looks good and does not expect any issues so it should be completed in the next couple of weeks.
I have run the engine several times now and have minor issues to make adjustment each run. I have purchased wire to move the battery to the back of the airplane. It is just too difficult to get in and out of where it is installed now.
Attached is a picture of the inside of the carb inlet filter modified to be a cabin heat inlet filter. See post and picture by Johneeb on the first page of this forum discussion. It needs a little bit of a cleanup but I just finished the basic install last night.
Carb inlet filter converted to heater inlet 2 RS.jpg
I am ordering the tach today if I can get Horizon instruments to call me back. I need a change made to the flight manual supplement Sandi at Horizon Instruments made for me. She made this for me at no additional charge. Something I am sure she does for each installation.
I am looking forward to a few days off over Thanksgiving and Wish Happy a Holiday Season and a Merry Christmas to All.
Regards,
Jim