170A Sportsman STOL

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

aviator

170A Sportsman STOL

Post by aviator »

Greetings from a new forum member. I am buying a 170A and am interested in the Sportsman STOL kit for It. The Stene's website does not list it for the "A" model, only the B. I have repeatedly asked them for information as to whether it can be installed on a one time approval but can get no response to my emails. Has anyone on this board installed the Sportsman kit on a 170A? Other than the flaps, is the wing any different between the A and the B? Thanks, Hank
blueldr

Re: 170A Sportsman STOL

Post by blueldr »

Steen is an easy guy to talk to. Call him and ask.
BL
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

A "one time approval" would come from your locals, not Stene. Yes the wings are different, "A"models have less washout and dihedral making stall characteristics different. I think you would encounter resistance with your local FSDO and/or a DER unless you are willing to pay for a guinea pig and a lot of flight testing.
In other words, if an STC does not list your aircraft on the AML, there is likely a logical reason the STC holder did not accommodate and it's always $$$$$ vs. return. Buy a B
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
aviator

Post by aviator »

Wingnut: thank you. I was wondering what some of the differences might be. I know how one time field approvals work. I wonder if anyone has done it? I can't afford a B.
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

If it were me, I would just throw some VG's on the A model and call it good. If you have the funds, eventually put in a bigger engine. With theses planes the challenge is not usually getting in....but getting out.

Not the answer to your question, but figured I would throw it out there.
aviator

Post by aviator »

Thanks. Always good to hear ideas.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

The consensus seems to be that the Sportsman STOL is the best available. There are other STOL kits though. Horton and Bush both offer kits STC'ed for the 170A. A cursory search online will keep you from dealing with the latter.
Last edited by n2582d on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
ole' blue

Post by ole' blue »

I installed a sportsman STOL kit on my 170a model in 2013. My PMI said a few years back, he would've signed it off on the spot for me, but now it had to go to the ACO. It took about a year and a half for the ACO to finally get back with a change requirement, then another few months to approve the change made. I can try to find my paperwork and scan it in if that would be helpful. Stene was very helpful in getting me as much info as possible. Let me know where to send the scan to and I will get to it when I'm back home from work.
Kevin
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ole' blue wrote:I installed a sportsman STOL kit on my 170a model in 2013. My PMI said a few years back, he would've signed it off on the spot for me, but now it had to go to the ACO. It took about a year and a half for the ACO to finally get back with a change requirement, then another few months to approve the change made. I can try to find my paperwork and scan it in if that would be helpful. Stene was very helpful in getting me as much info as possible. Let me know where to send the scan to and I will get to it when I'm back home from work.
Kevin
Kevin, if you'll send copies of that scan to both the president ( BFenstermacher (at) cessna170.org ) and the Parts/MX advisor ( gahorn (at)cessna170.org ) ... we will be assured that the assoc'n will have a permanent copy.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
aviator

Post by aviator »

Kevin: thank you for posting about your installation. I have PM'd you. Hopefully others will surface.
ole' blue

Post by ole' blue »

I sent the files to the addresses above.

I am very happy with the installation of the Sportsman leading edge. As an A&P, I installed it myself, so there wasn't too much cost associated. I would recommend it to anybody trying to improve their performance and safety. The most useful improvement it gave me is in the climbout. Previously, I could force the airplane off the ground into ground effect where it was mushy, would not climb, and slow to accelerate. Now, at those same airspeeds, it will fly itself off the ground while climbing AND accelerating! Now I can take 2 adults with me to off=airport places where i used to be limited to only 1 passenger, and the margins are still better.

I still wish I had a more powerful engine, but at about two grand, this improvement was welcome.
Attachments
day harbor.jpg
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Your documents were received, Kevin. THANK YOU. (We'll get them posted into the MX Library shortly.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)