170 in China

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

170 in China

Post by W.J.Langholz »

I landed in Binghou China last night about dark and off to the right to my surprise was 8 or so GA aircraft all looking like Cessna's . Thought I saw round tail in the group......fly out of there again next Tuesday, hope to get there ahead of time to check things out'...........think they will let me fly it :mrgreen:
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: 170 in China

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I'm guessing there is a high probability it is a L-19 that made it's way there through various countries military. I seem to recall this being reported before.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Willie, sign them up as a new member of TIC170A :!: With all of our members going to China these days we ought to get some members over there.

You not going to be able to make St Louis this year?

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

We have some Canadian members that are living in Hong Kong that own a 170. Not sure if the airplane is with them or still in Canada. In any case, that is a pretty good trip for a 170 as I believe Bing Hou Village is pretty far north in China, correct?
crwrpmr

Post by crwrpmr »

Ryan, I believe that's me. My 170 is hangered at Welland, Ontario near Niagara Falls. I get back to fly it once a year but with retirement on the horizon will fly her more. Asia is still not geared for general aviation. Hong Kong has a flying club based at the PLA base Sek Kong. They have 3 or 4 fixed wing aircraft and about the same amount of Robinson helicopters. They can only fly on weekends that the army approves. A chap here has a Stearman based in the Phillipines and a fellow I work with brought his 180 from the UK to Malaysia. Everyone else that I know who has an aircraft keeps it in there home country.
Rob
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

All fly has to be government approved here in China. There are 1or 2 provinces that are now allowing Limited GA . A friend of mine is right north of shanghai reproducing a pa11 knock off. First one is almost done. Wanted me to test fly it in 2 months'.....got to think on that one.
Binghou is toward the north but not far enough to talk Minnesotan :lol:
I'll try to find out more and let everyone know......may even sneak a picture

W.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I loved going over to China. I spent a couple of days in Shanghai, but spent most of my trips over there in Zhuhai, DongGuan, and Shenzhen. The nicest hotel I've ever been in, the Baolilai, is in Shenzhen. I loved staying there.

Pretty special country for sure. It was a bit of a shock seeing all the ex-pats in Hong Kong, as well as seeing English street names. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

One of my acquaintances, Tian Yu, owns Yuneec Aircraft which specializes in composite electric-powered airplanes. Since he's based in Shanghai, it was very difficult to do the flight testing program for the airplanes. He's got several properties in California, so I believe a lot of the testing was performed out there.
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

IMG_20140603_084942_124china plane.jpg
Sorry for the very poor quality, but the way it turns out this place is kind of entrance training for young military pilots. Me having a flat top looking alittle American.... the young boys got a bit nervous me working up so I had to back off a bit and too this through some glass. I did not see the roundtail today but there were 3 backed under a tree that I couldn't see the tail feathers on.

I be back in July and maybe be able to get a tour of the place :)

W.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

W.J.Langholz wrote:.................. Me having a flat top looking a little American...............W.

And maybe sounding a little Minnesotan? Ya, you betcha. Or is that a NORTH Texan accent? Just a little north of Dalhart? About 1000 miles! :lol: :lol:

Be careful with taking pictures of those "secret" air force bases in China! I got in trouble for taking pictures of two AN-2 biplanes and the old terminal building at the Kunming Airbase that had not changed ANY since the Hump Pilots landed there before WWII! The Marston Mat runway was still there, it wasn't even fenced and horses, oxen, and people were walking across the runway while armed guards "protected" the airplanes. I was cautioned not to take any pictures of the "top secret air base". (The pictures came out great)
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!