I spy...

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hilltop170

Re: I spy...

Post by hilltop170 »

If someone wanted to nit pick, I think the polished prop is the biggest problem of the non-standard mods mentioned. Hamilton Standard is the only prop manufacturer that listed a spec for maintenance of polished props. Every other manufacturer's specs require corrosion protective coatings.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

FYI :roll: There aint no such animal as a two piece windshield unless you call the plex one part and the strap another, then you'd have to add more for the bolts, nuts and washers, :lol: The center strip is there for strengthening the old thinner - - 1/8 or 3/16" plex. The center strap provides positive retention of these thinner windshields at the top of the cabin. Positive retention in channel is necessary because this area operates in a negative pressure environment and could "pop out" if not positively retained. . The thicker plex does not need the strip thus it looks slicker and it also can be had with tinting . Aero Plastics calls their STCd product "strapless" :mrgreen: I didn't know that for a while but it sounds sexy.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

flyguy wrote:.... The center strap provides positive retention of these thinner windshields at the top of the cabin. Positive retention in channel is necessary because this area operates in a negative pressure environment and could "pop out" if not positively retained. . The thicker plex does not need the strip...
And the reason the thicker strapless models don't need the strap is another method is used to hold the windshield in at the top.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com