Cessna SID Supplemental Inspection Document

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Paul Misteli

Cessna SID Supplemental Inspection Document

Post by Paul Misteli »

Hello

Does anyone have information about what to do with this sid for the Cessna 170?

Thank you an Kind regards

Paul Misteli
Cessna 170B, 1952
HB-CYV
n2582d

Re: Cessna SID Supplemental Inspection Document

Post by n2582d »

Aryana wrote:... It's not mandatory, so it's up to the discretion of the owner as to what you do with the document.
Unless your aircraft is registered in Liechtenstein or Switzerland perhaps? Do you need a copy of the SID?
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

n2582d wrote:
Aryana wrote:... It's not mandatory, so it's up to the discretion of the owner as to what you do with the document.
Unless your aircraft is registered in Liechtenstein or Switzerland perhaps? Do you need a copy of the SID?
Gary alluded to it, SBs and SIDs are not mandatory in the US for operation under part 91. However there are countries that do require SBs and SIDs to be completed even for personal flying like we do under part 91 in the US. So what most of our members are required to do about the SID is nothing as they live in or have US registered aircraft. What all other members are required to do about it depends on their countries regulations.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Aryana wrote:Hi Paul. I'm not sure what you mean. It's not mandatory, so it's up to the discretion of the owner as to what you do with the document.
Arayana,
Be careful about recommending compliance to bulletins and such. Paul's aircraft is registered in Switzerland and EASA or another country may have different requirements for compliance. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

He may have been asking what the SID is and for advice on whether he should accomplish it. It is a detailed thorough inspection of single engine Cessna airframes that I believe is very valuable for owners of 60-65 year old airplanes. I have read it and accomplished parts of it. A good IA will inspect many of the components during a thorough annual but there are portions of the airframe that need to be disassembled to gain access. The rear fuselage and empennage are examples. Removal of the wings is required to perform a complete SID inspection.

In case the guy doesn't know, you are looking for cracks, corrosion, damage, and any other wear factor that can affect the integrity of the airframe. Such issues are not uncommon in aging aircraft and Cessna has given us a guide to prevent deterioration. My understanding is that is is a supplement to their maintenance manual and is a manufacturer requirement only. I understand that general aviation manufacturers are shielded from product liability for older aircraft but they still have an obligation to support their products. There is a deadline for completion of the program after which we will be operating on our own, not illegal, but outside/beyond manufacturer's recommendations. As someone pointed out the above applies to U.S. only. I think its a very useful program, not for everyone, but will help us keep these old airplanes airworthy for some time to come.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have personally done the SIDS on my aeroplane and it's not that hard for a 170. Some of the other cessna models it's quite intrusive . The best system is to X-ray certain areas . I was "lucky" ,no surprises found. SIDS was introduced by cessna for safety reasons . I felt it gave me a piece of mind . I have seen a off the show room floor example of a 210 and it had to be scrapped due to corrosion found in the fuse large and wings and tail plane . It was found the corrosion was due to the washing of the aircraft each week by this fastidious owner . He used a high pressure washer with a soap and dried it off with a high pressure air blast . The paint work was like a mirror. Spar caps riddled with corrosion internally . It was only picked up on a X-ray . To the eye it was impossible to pick up . The tail plane corrosion wasn't picked up due access normally. I now do my inspections In different light . ( figuratively ) . I now drill out rivets in certain areas to see the state of the area. The rivets are then replaced. The outside surface is not always a indication of what's happening inside .
The resale / insurance value of a aircraft is now reflected by having or not having SIDS done also .
Paul Misteli

Post by Paul Misteli »

thank you all for the informations

i decide to execute the SID until the next 100 hours control, about 70 hours of work.

Kind regards

Paul