A little something for blueldr

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N2255D

A little something for blueldr

Post by N2255D »

Starts around 1:30
http://vimeo.com/94921011
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
blueldr

Re: A little something for blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Thanks, Walt. Best wishes to you and Linda. I'm gonna have a sip and a half of good old George Dickle this evening.
BL
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

Glad you liked it. Enjoy!!
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
FredMa

Post by FredMa »

I am from Tennessee but I could not recommend George Dickle to anyone, Heck they don't even know how to spell whiskey, much less how to make it. They spell it "whisky" like they are foreigners or something. At least Jack Daniel's knows knows how to spell it "whiskey" and aren't too bad at making it either. The tour of the distillery is a great experience even for kids.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It is very common to discover that true "backwoods" folk spell things in different ways,... and "backwoods" folk traditionally make the best. (If you don't believe it, look at how many dif'rent ways their names are spelled)... and if anyone recognizes good spirits made from grain... it doesn't matter how it's spelt. :wink: (get it?) :lol:

Hint for Ol'Gar: Spelt, also known as dinkel wheat, or hulled wheat, is a species of wheat cultivated since 5000 BCE
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Back in '94 when I was visiting my daughter, Nancy. in Niarobi, Kenya. She was flying "Herks" for Southern Air Transport and staying at the New Stanley hotel.
In the extensive display of bottled libations in the back bar of the hotel lounge was one lonely bottle of Jack Daniels, the only bottle of any kind of American spirits. I questioned the bartender about it and he said it had been requested by one of the American pilots staying there. when I asked him how well it sold, he said the guy that requested it had returned to the states and no one else ever asked for it. He allowed as how that was readily undersandable since he had tried it and it tasted like hell. So much for the popularity of good Bourbon in Nairobi, Kenya.
We were all drinking "Tusker" beer, a local favorite with a great bull elephant on the label.
About ten years later I stopped in the "Plaza Market" to pick up something on the way home. They had a basket on display with a bunch of odd labeled beers with, so help me, a bottle of "Tusker" among them. I just had to buy one and kept it at home for many months until Nancy was coming home on a visit. I put it in the fridge and when Nancy saw it she shrieked and laughed like crazy and asked where in hell I had found it here in the USA. This was ten years after she had left Africa and SAT and was flying the Asian routes for FedEx out of the Philippines. It really wasn't bad beer.
BL
170C

Post by 170C »

Years ago on a business trip to Nashville myself and several others took a side trip down to the Jack Daniels distillery and took the tour. It was really interesting and although I have not yet revisited it, I would recommend the tour to anyone. I was amazed at the amount of federal tax that was sitting in the many barrel houses while aging. Now that we are residents here in TN I often see the signs along I-24 south of Murfreesboro advertising the George Dickel Distillery. I guess I will have to stop in sometime to see how it compares to the JD one. I thought it interesting that Dickel was out of business for about 40 years and was then renovated and began brewing once again.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018