Windows 8, Windows 8, what about it we don't apprectiate

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Somewhere in my old Windows-XP computer........

PS: Did I tell everyone I hate Windows 8?

Edited by Moderator
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Re:Windows 8, Windows 8, what about it we don't apprectiate

Post by 170C »

George, I am with you on Windows 8. That is what is on my new computer and I have gotten things so screwed up I have difficulty opening my emails or getting into the 170 forum :evil: (Can't find my favorites/bookmarked list!) Going to have to have the folks who built my computer walk me through how to use this system. Difficult to teach this old dog the new tricks :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
minton

Post by minton »

Why is the world intent on fixing thinks that aren't broke :?: :?: Computer programs
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I found out today from our IT person at work that Windows 8 was intended for "touch screen" computers. This is fine if you have a touch screen.
But if your laptop or desktop only has a mouse...then every time you touch your mouse or mousepad the damn computer brings up menus and applications that have not been requested. Your finger resting too long on the pad will be interpreted as a "doubleclick" and your work or Word doc or...whatever you're working on will disappear.
When docs are saved ...you have no idea where they were saved and there is no directory or folders that can be identified. It sucks. I hate it. I hate anyone/everyone who dreamed up this stoopid program. It may finally be what drives me over to Apple.
(I have been told that MS may offer a free retrograde to Windows 7 if you ask your computer store where you bought it.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

After using iPad and iPhone for several years with excellent support and service, Ina and I turned off our PCs and went directly to the Apple Store and got new computers as soon as Microsoft announced ending support for Windows XP and advising we needed to go get a new computer. Thanks for the advice Microsoft. Good riddance! I will never buy Microsoft again!

July 30, 2014 update. We have both been extremely satisfied with our new Apple computers. I got a MacBook and Ina got a desk top. Both have been flawless and we don't have wires running everywhere anymore.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I hate windows 8 myself. What were they thinking ? I wonder what they were smoking when they came up with windows 8 . Micro soft has lost so many customers . But the rumour is that windows 9 /10 is loosely based on XP .bring it on.
Bramlett

Re: Windows 8, Windows 8, what about it we don't apprectiate

Post by Bramlett »

Installing start menu 8 brings back the classic start menu.

http://www.iobit.com/update/startmenu8/index.php#

It's an add on but I deploy it on all the computers where the users are unable to adapt to change.

Enjoy!
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

hilltop170 wrote:After using iPad and iPhone for several years with excellent support and service, I went to Apple as soon as Microsoft announced ending support for Windows XP. Good riddance! I will never buy Microsoft again!
Ditched Windoze nearly 5 years ago for Mac. Still performs as well as it did out of the box. No viruses. No problems. It just works! Never could get a Windoze computer to last more than half what my Mac has. That is...without dozing off between trying to open a program and actually being able to use it, anyway...
--Josh
1950 170A
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I have two more friends that have just very recently finally become so pissed off at windows that they switched to a Mac. They both say they would never go back to a PC.
BL
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I hate Windows 8.

Even with shell emulators, it still sucks. When I bought my new computer, I got an iMac so that I could install Windows 7. I do like it better than XP, but Microsoft screwed up with 8. That said, I'll never own anything other than a Mac again, for the simple reason of hardware superiority with Apple products. Dual booting the computer is just icing on the cake. :)
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Sounds like Windows 8 has turned out to be a "Wheel Chock" to the future. How about a "fix" like Windows 8xp.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

blueldr wrote:I have two more friends that have just very recently finally become so pissed off at windows that they switched to a Mac. They both say they would never go back to a PC.
I am a Mac user since 1986 when Ryan was born. A MacIntosh II 2mg RAM, Motorola 68020 chip running 8mhz, 20 meg hd with a 19" B&W CRT. The worst thing that might have happened to the Mac platform is Windows 8. More and more people will discover the Mac and it will be down hill from there.

BTW my wife hates her Windows 8 computer and does my son-in-law the IT guy.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

My brother tells me that windows 8 sucks, but move up to 8.1 and then the 8.1 update to be much like XP. I haven't made up my mind yet so I keep my ears open for info.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
n9gmr

Post by n9gmr »

gahorn wrote:It sucks. I hate it. I hate anyone/everyone who dreamed up this stoopid program. It may finally be what drives me over to Apple.
The two reasons I use Windows is because at work I must. The Windows computer at home is use primarily for looking up something on the web, quick note taking, using the calculator, or programming radios I use requiring it including my aircraft radio.
Most of my computing is done on my MacBook Pro. Get a Mac, you won't regret it! If you're used to using an iPhone or iPad, the same gestures will work on the Mac as well.
Matt Roberts
170C

Post by 170C »

After putting up with Windows 8 for a few weeks I had the shop connect to my computer and they got the pop up ads cleared out and in general it worked pretty well. However, I couldn't download photos from my camera or iphone nor could/can I scan an item and then send it to someone. Several weeks ago I started getting those damn pop up ads again. The shop tells me that I am opening a program somewhere that permits them to start. When I try to go onto this fourm I end up having to delete pages, ads, etc. Needless to say I am super pissed at Windows 8! Don't know anything about switching to MAC, but I am going to see the shop folks in the morning and find out what my options are. I had Windows XP for years and managed to make it work reasonably well.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018