Windows 8, Windows 8, what about it we don't apprectiate

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Re: Windows 8, Windows 8, what about it we don't apprectiate

Post by 170C »

If you are out on that boat without any electronic devices and you are successful at navigating is that called "pilotage"? :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:... What airlines have to do to satisfy customers. If it weren't for competition the customers could just wait until they get to their destination to use the laptops, i-pads, cell phones, etc. We all somehow managed to get along just fine without all of that capability once upon a time. How about it Dick? :D
Once-upon-a-time airlines provided attractive females to prevent passenger-boredom.

Now the average passenger social-skills are practiced on facebook, twitter, etc etc.

All progress is not good.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Progress is great,----sometimes.
I can remember when contacting the federal aviation fuzz from the Johnson Creek airport required strapping an airplane to your ass and climbing to about 10k MSL and calling Boise Radio.
Then they discovered that thing developed by Alexander G. Bell and managed to get it all the way in to Yellowpine, Idaho, and to the Johnson Creek airport .
The telephone was a giant leap forward at (3U2), the J. Ck airport. You could open or close a flight plan or get a WX briefing.
The internet came along some years later.
Well beyond that, Idaho Aeronautics got an internet connection at 3U2 and put in a router and provided WiFi available at the Internet Cafe. (Shower House)
People now spent most of their day looking at their Laptops.
Then came the current explosion of the smart phones, along with a pumped up router, and now everyone screws around most of the time poking at their telephones and talking on Skype.
Progress. Aint it wunnerful?
BL
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

[quote="blueldr"]
Then they discovered that thing developed by Alexander G. Bell and managed to get it all the way in to Yellowpine, Idaho, and to the Johnson Creek airport .

I turn my cell phone off inbound from Grangeville and leave it off while in the back country. And then turn it back on when stop back at Grangeville when I am done refueling for the trip home to Auburn. I have never flown into Johnston Creek because there always to many airplanes there when I fly over. Now I know why they go there.
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Been a little quiet on the board here lately, so I figured I'd jump on here and run my mouth a bit. :D

As I've said on here before, I've got a 21.5 iMac and I've had it for about one year now. I have been running Windows 7 on it for the last 11 months, and have recently found myself spending more time on my Mac partition. After some consideration, and some testing, I've decided to go full monty and delete my Windows partition entirely. I have Mac OSX-compatible software now, so there were only one or two non-essential programs that relied on Windows exclusively to run. I just pulled the trigger on deleting the Windows partition about 20 minutes ago and I'm in the process of data migration over to Mac OSX. I have learned a few things that I'd like to share.

1. Mac OSX is incredible. Simply phenomenal. I have not been this excited about using a computer in a long time. It's a very fast OS, and I can load it up with tasks and it doesn't miss a beat. I can tell a huge difference between the speed of running Windows 7 and Mac OSX on the same machine. One thing that I'm particularly fond of is how applications are installed and configured in Mac OSX. They're self-contained- meaning that all of the necessary files are located with that application's folder. Windows often times spread files out over several folders, and I have chased down shared .dlls on several occasions.

2. Boot Camp seems like a good idea, and was a major selling point for me when considering a Mac. Dual booting a computer sucks, and I've learned that there are much better, streamlined ways of running multiple operating systems on a Mac. I've become partial to VMware Fusion, which is a hypervisor that allows a different OS to be operated within Mac itself. It's a pretty slick program, and integrates into Mac very well. It can either display as a simple program window for the program you're running, or an entire Windows desktop can be displayed. I'll probably end up getting Fusion and reinstalling Windows 7 inside Mac OSX for the few programs that I need it for. Since this is my main machine, I won't be going crazy with a lot of experimental stuff, but I am more than likely going to be picking up a MacBook Pro in the next few months that I'll do the same treatment to (VMware Fusion with Windows...perhaps Win 10 at that point?), but I'm interested in running Ubuntu as well. Don't know a lot about Linux, but I would like to learn, and trial by fire is a pretty efficient teacher.

Anyway, just re-reaffirming my Mac fanboy status for life.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ryan I've been a Mac fanatic since 1986. Your not telling me anything new.

Forget Bootcamp.

Go to Oracle Virtual Box. https://www.virtualbox.org/

It is FREE.

You create a virtual machine or in fact up to 5 virtual machines as I recall. You can be running all 5 simultaneously. VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and Solaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 ), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4, 2.6 and 3.x), Solaris and OpenSolaris, OS/2, and OpenBSD. One thing it can not do is run old Mac OS versions.

I've been using, and in fact you all have been the beneficiary of my virtual box running Windows XP. In it I have an ancient (circa 1997) version of QuarkXpress 4. This version of Quark was written about the time of Windows 95 but will work on Windows XP and runs fine in it. I use it, and in fact bought the 13 year old version from Ebay so I could be compatible with and collaborate with our Exec. Secretary, Jan Billeb, to produce all of our magazines in about the last 5 years.

In practice there is a window. Inside of it is Windows and all of it's software just like Bootcamp. But all you have to do is click on it to activate it or click on any mac environment to activate that. And they are truly two different operating systems running at the same time. I can start a process in the Windows window and click on the Mac and do something else while the Windows program churns away. About the only thing you can't do is have both operating systems access a single peripheral such as a DVD or CD at the same time. It can access your hard drive however at the same time.

It is truly amazing and it is highly supported and continually updated.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com