Flying across the country

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pdb

Flying across the country

Post by pdb »

I am presently flying home from Charlottesville VA to Alaska. The night before last, as evening approached after a day of dodging thundstorms and cruddy weather, I found myself nearing a friend's farm in eastern IN. He has a good field which has yet to be planted this year so I made a couple of low approaches to scope it out and then landed about 30 minutes before sunset.

The surface was very good and I rolled up towards the barn, just across a small gravel county road. Even though this is genuinely in the middle of nowhere, four vehicles came by in the next ten minutes offering help. I explained that I was fine and just visiting the owner. The folks were all curious and more than a few kids climbed out to look in the cockpit.

Everyone had fun and it was one of the more enjoyable experiences I have had in a while. For a brief moment, I felt like I was in the late 20's when barnstormers were the only planes to drop in to places like this.
Attachments
image.jpg
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
hilltop170

Re: Flying across the country

Post by hilltop170 »

Good story Pete, have a safe flight.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Lopez

Post by Lopez »

Well done playing the aviation ambassador. I was told once by a crusty old airline pilot that was trying to help me get a big airline job, "you are not inheriting this job from the previous generation, you are a custodian of it for the next".

I try to apply that line of thinking very time I get a kid(or adult) who wants to come see the cockpit at work. My job actually has plastic wings for the kids, and I pass them out on almost every flight.
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Looks like a calendar photo to me.