If you're ever in England

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

C170U2

If you're ever in England

Post by C170U2 »

Check out this museum!

www.shuttleworth.org

Amazing collection, and almost all of them are still flown. Got to visit today and had an amazing time. They are restoring a Spitfire in one of the hangars. I think I could have spent all day just watching the craftsmen do their magic. Really nice grass strip as well that really made me want to go flying!
daedaluscan

Re: If you're ever in England

Post by daedaluscan »

I have always wanted to go there, they do some amazing restorations and keep them flying.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I had a client in the sim the other day or so.... and he is the technical pilot for Rolls Royce. He's a truly nice fellow.
He's a 40-something- young-ish man who actually went to work for RR in the mechanical engineering dept.
They found out he was a private pilot, so they gave him a sabbatical and paid for his trng up/thru the type rating in the Citation-X (which I teach and which has RR engines) so he can talk technicals to owners/pilots of that airplane.
Since he's their "technical pilot"...RR decided not to waste his talents and has assigned additional duties to him.
He described his problem to me. Once a year...he has to go to England, and put 5 hours excersizing each of the RR-owned airplanes in the heritage hangar.
Those include a Mk 21 Spitfire, a Hurricane, a Gypsy Moth, Tiger Moth, and few others.
He must hate his job. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
PaddyM

Post by PaddyM »

What a collection!
In 2004 my wife and I joined a small group from Toronto area and participated in an aviation tour of the London area that included this collection.
Too much to tell, but a couple of highlights--out to Dover to view the Cliffs, and also visited a small field that housed #3 Mosquito light bomber.
An older chap told me, while pointing his cane up the rise to the left, that they would taxi up to the top and roar by.... and we would never see them again! Certainly some nostalgia in his voice!

In a small hangar on the floor there was a large machine gun. The fellow told me it was the anti sub gun that was too big and powerful for most fighter planes, so they tried it suspended under the Mossy.
The connection for me, was that my 170B was owned by a guy that test flew the Mosquitos as they came off the production line just outside Toronto.
Sorry, got a little side tracked, needless to say-- that if you get an opportunity to visit as we did, do it.
Watched the Duxford air show, toured a Concorde, and sat in a Spitfire.
Gotta love it!
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Yeah, this place is great if you love aviation. Lots of cool strips to check out. Not as many airplanes flying around as in the States but still a real healthy GA community. This is in spite of lots of landing fees and really expensive gas. If you like grass strips this is the place to be!!

I wanted to make it up to Mach Loop in Wales but got busy with work. Cool video of the place below. My favorite pass comes about 2 minutes into the video!! Ahh the good old days!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-7zHlOi4T4