Guess what Grandma asked me?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Sixracer

Re: Guess what Grandma asked me?

Post by Sixracer »

A real Razorback!!(1961) It is in my blood line, too. Mom was born in Garner, AR Even my wife is a Good old Country mouse from Horatio AR. Does that help make up for not having a 170? :cry:
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Not good! My dad played for Watty Myers and even though I was born in Wadley, I grew up in Tyler. :D Oh you thought I was - No - I came up here to play football for Tech. LOL Do y'all have anything special for Potluck? Now these guys can tell you, women like this fly-in a lot. This is a family affair. The way to a 170 Clubs Heart is through it's stomach. :D

Moving forward a bit George. Flew down to Mena today - met Del. He's liking the Fly-in ideal.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Fall colors, , singing and pickin round a big bonfire, Tracy fryin that big ole skilit of bacon, chompin down on Zwolle Tamales, and clam chowder out of a can - :lol: - and evryone havin a bagfull of memories to carry home. . . . . .ole gar sez ITSA BOUT TIME FORE WE GITS TU OLE TO FINE ARKYINSAW.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Flew down to Mena - Del say's count him in! We should be having it right now, beautiful here.
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

Wow, Dave It Is a small world. I was born in the OLD Texarkana Hospital before it closed and everything moved to Wadley.
I bet I know some of the same people your Dad knows. I didn't get the chance to play for THS. Grand Pa had a sawmill on the west side of town that was in Liberty-Eylau district. He gave Mom and Dad a house he had built on the mill property for the mill manager, so I grew where I was planted..LOL! In the 70's I ran a Dragstrip at Whitehouse Tx and then sold it and ran the I-20 Dragstrip north of Tyler at Owentown. Oh! BTW my plane ia a 1961, I'm a 1950 model.
170C

Post by 170C »

Dave, if you give him adequate travel time Steve from MA might consider coming back to Petite Jean with some of his authentic clam chowder. It sure was good! Now for the mud bugs you'll need to check on the soon to be new parents to see if they would consider bringing mud bugs and the newborn. Of course we have to get those MNites Kyle & Becky to bring some of their goodies. Also now that Willie & Mary Jo have a second home in TX they will need to make a trip down from MN to Arkansas way to check on the airpark place and it would be a natural for them to stop over for the fly in. Lets see, how big is that parking area :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

Frank

I have to try and plan a Texas visit, then fly up in the 206 (3+ hours), we have to have the "Official 170 Parts Plane" from Slosh Gosh there :lol: :lol: .

Never been to Petti Jean but sure looks like fun and a good place to meet a bunch more 170 friends. Maybe we can even get that " Einstein " character to show up eh.....
Albert_Einstein_Head.jpg
A RARE PICTURE OF JOHN WHEN HE is not having FUN with his 170 friends ......way to serious ..... :D
I'm told he looks better in person.... :D

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Willie,
Petit Jean was a fantastic flyin for me. Great people, super food, fun music, and outstanding
natural scenery. It had the added benefit of introducing me to my favorite place –
Gaston's Fishing Camp. I have truly enjoyed stopping there whenever I got a chance.

I am happy to still be flying with a Sport Pilot Aeronca Champ but am afraid that Arkansas
is a bit far to travel these days. Hope you have the flyin because it is the best!!!
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Sixracer wrote:Wow, Dave It Is a small world. I was born in the OLD Texarkana Hospital before it closed and everything moved to Wadley.
I bet I know some of the same people your Dad knows. I didn't get the chance to play for THS. Grand Pa had a sawmill on the west side of town that was in Liberty-Eylau district. He gave Mom and Dad a house he had built on the mill property for the mill manager, so I grew where I was planted..LOL! In the 70's I ran a Dragstrip at Whitehouse Tx and then sold it and ran the I-20 Dragstrip north of Tyler at Owentown. Oh! BTW my plane ia a 1961, I'm a 1950 model.
Both Parents grew up in Texarkana - Dad in Wake Village, Mom on the West side of town where new bypass and I-30 meet. Most of my relatives are still there. I lived in Pine Springs, north side of Tyler, until I was in Jr High, then moved to Lake Palestine (Flint side) until coming to Russellville.
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

Dave,
Looking forward to meeting you. Sounds like our lives might have circled the pattern!!
When are you planning to have the fly in?
Let me know what Donna and I should bring. Food? Cook out supplies? Stuff?
Adger
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

My Mother's cousin was Max Tackett....sheriff of Texarkana for many years. Another cousin, Boyd Anderson Tackett was the U.S. Congressman from TXK. (We're both named for the same ancestor Anderson Tackett, an early setter ..the "a" in gahorn is from my middle name, .... Anderson.) The Tacket law firm is still in TXK. (Cousin Max would arrest the moonshiners and Cousin Boyd would get them off.... it was a family business.)
Mom was born in Dierks and her father was the foreman at the sawmill there. I've got so many relatives in SW AR we're prob'ly related.
I was born in Hot Springs ('48). The Hiltons (the poor ones on the other side of Conrad's family) up there are from the other side of my family.
We're going to my Mom's family reunion first week of May in Hot Springs/Arkadelphia (where my Mom graduated from Henderson Teachers College.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Sixracer

Post by Sixracer »

What a small world!
Very familiar with the Tackett's. One of their outlaw relatives is a customer of mine. I've built some Boat Race and HP Harley engines for him.
John Tackett. I think Max was his Uncle. John is also an "outlaw" pilot. His son, Cody, is helping a few of us guys get a Jet boat together for a friend that we are about to lose to cancer. His boat has been sitting for almost 10 years.
We are going to surprise him.
Arkansas is a real family thing with us, too. July 17 we will have my Wife's family reunion here in Texarkana. We will have the Lovell's and Martins coming out of SW AR in droves.
Last year we got some long distance relatives in from California.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Dave, it would be fun to blame the past dates on George , but I'm afraid the blame probably falls on you.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Yeah we had discussions on it. Members in the North, love to come down first thing in the spring, after a long winter. We were tied up with kids in Football & Volleyball, my vacation, etc. Maybe we should start asking for input on dates? We have to make sure Mrs Bengstam is there with her Cherry Pie! In mid November, my address switches to a swamp, across the river from Petit Jean.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

OK, Then! That means we'll have to have TWO Petit Jean fly-ins! One in spring...One in FALL! :P

( BTW...I'm coming to a Tackett reunion next weekend in Hot Springs. Looking fwd to seeing a spring-AR.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)