Old Member, New Owner, Late Introduction

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Old Member, New Owner, Late Introduction

Post by Sticky »

Good day all,

I've been a member of this site for some time now while I was patiently shopping for a 170B. I found a 1953 'B back in March 2013 but it took over five months to get some paperwork issues sorted before I could sign on the dotted line and then carry out the import process to get it registered in Canada.

The pictures in the ad weren't flattering and it took my AME to cajole me into at least going look at it, and I'm glad he did. The aircraft looked much better in person, Although the panel was in serious need of some TLC, it had what I was looking for...Horton STOL, C-180 gear with the 8.50x6 tires, PPonk bits, and a solid airframe. The price was right and so I had my AME do the pre-purchase and ensure that all the paperwork was in order for the import. Unfortunately, during the title and lien search we found that there was an old lien on the aircraft that ultimately held up the purchase for months while it got cleared up.

Ad Photo

Rough Looking Panel

The import process went very smoothly and five weeks later it was officially a Canadian aircraft. While we were doing the import I had many people comment that it needed a little colour, so when the graphics guy was doing up the new registration letters in vinyl, we put together some ideas for blue trim (in vinyl as well) and it seems to have come out alright.

New Vinyl Trim

Once I got the airplane to my home airport I quickly found that I couldn't look at the panel anymore in its neglected condition...especially since we had found new control wheels. The panel had to be cleaned up. I removed all the instruments and pulled the panel, which is really just the stock panel without the fancy overlay. I cleaned and painted it flat black, made some blanking plates and also installed a Garmin Aera 500 GPS. Now I'm in the process of making up a new panel, including rearranging and replacing some of the instruments.

The Interim Panel Fix

New Panel Layout

I still have work to do and will pick away at it over the next few years...new headliner, interior paint and insulation, throttle panel, and, although the engine runs smooth and strong, I need to find and fix all the leaks on the old C-145. It's been a long time since I flew fixed-wing, let alone a taildragger (I'm a helicopter pilot in my normal life) so I've been spending a lot of time in the circuit getting reacquainted. I have about 20 hours in it now.

This site has been invaluable in improving my knowledge of the type and providing access to hard-to-find documents. Hopefully I'll cross paths with some of you as I begin to venture further from my home airport (CAP3).

On Final to CYXX
(Photo credit: Guy Pambrun)

Here's a short YouTube video of me working on my wheel landings...enjoy :D

A Little Flying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLBHblJNFQE

---
Bill
--
Bill Snedden
C-GZRD
1953 Cessna 170B (#25597)

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Old Member, New Owner, Late Introduction

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Very nice Bill. Welcome aboard.

Some of the nicest looking 170 paint schemes, when the original is not used, are those derived from actual schemes. I see the '52 influence in yours whether you intended that or not. It looks like it could have been something Cessna would have done following the '52 scheme.

We need more helicopter pilots here to keep these fixed wing guys in line. What helicopter do you fly?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Sticky,

Great looking bird and thanks for sharing the effort. Give us a holler if you ever come down the Seattle/Western Washington way.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

That's great, are you based in Sechelt? I go to Texada a lot from Victoria, I would love to come and see your plane.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Lower mainland/ Island, 170 Boys....we need to meet soon somewhere.. YCD ?
Sticky welcome , have time in July? Serious looking for someone to take the long distance international award away from me....Please ! :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I agree a BC meet would be fun, anywhere is fine for me. I will also be going to the Texada fly in which is Sunday, July 20, 2014.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bill, you might wish to consider what I did... move your T&B to that blank space on the left and install a 2nd (pictorial) horizon in front of the pilot.

http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... on+project
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)

Post by Sticky »

Thanks for comments and I'll post some photos when I get onto the new panel project.

Funny, I didn't realize that I had a 172 cowling until Aryana mentioned it. I checked the parts manual, and sure enough, it doesn't match the picture for a '53 170B. It must have been changed out somewhere in its history.

If the vinyl scheme looks derivative of the 1952 model, that's because it is. I've always liked the '52 design and used that as a guide for the graphic artist to come up with this layout. I would have had him copy it exactly, except I wanted to minimize the amount of vinyl and the potentially visible seams. This was our compromise.

I am based in Sechelt (cheap fuel and a very friendly airport community), and I've now added the Texada Fly-in to my calendar. I assume it's at Gillies Bay?

Gahorn, my plan for the new panel includes moving the turn and bank to where you recommend, as well as a new AI and DG in more appropriate locations. Basically, a five-pack with the DG to the right in the lower centre below the GPS. To be honest, I'd leave the panel as is, but because I have no overlay, the panel ends too early on the left side so I cover up the obvious gap with my checklist at the moment. The new panel won't be too different from original...tidier with a more modern layout. Once I have the two new instruments I will confirm panel/control clearances before I commit to cutting out the aluminum.

Panel Plan (original on the bottom)

Bruce, I'm a long-time Bell 212 pilot but I'm transitioning to the SK92 next month. Helicopter flying pays the bills and the 170 is purely for fun (and it also keeps me humble...)
--
Bill Snedden
C-GZRD

Post by Sticky »

I was working up in the high arctic (northern Ellesmere Island) servicing communications repeaters. It was a long way up and a long way down but spectacular scenery along the way.

The 212 is my favourite helicopter. Big enough to be respected but small enough to fly single pilot... And it makes that unmistakable sound. It's the Harley of helicopters.
--
Bill Snedden
C-GZRD

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Interesting you say big enough to be respected. Depends on the circles you fly in or the work you do I guess. I'm lucky enough to be flying an new EC145. In the EMS circle it is the biggest except for the few remaining S-76s in HEM service also discounting the few government programs with the AB-139.

It's likely I've seen the SK-92 your getting as the completion center is about 20 miles from my house. They test fly them in the airspace all around us. Now those are big.

The 212 is the Harley of helicopters then the UH-1H I flew would be like an old pan head model. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sticky wrote:.... It's the Harley of helicopters.
Appropo. They both vibrate excessively. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)