Value of South Winds heater

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

BlakeinAlabama

Value of South Winds heater

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

Can someone tell me what the South Winds original heater might be worth?
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Value of South Winds heater

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

According to the IPC the original for our 170 from Cessna was a Stewart Warner.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Aircraft Heating and Electrical in Redding CA, (530) 246-4328, is probably the most familiar with them. You'll need the model and serial number plus they would probably need to inspect it to give an accurate value which could be anywhere from zero up. But, if you need a heater, they work very well when kept in good shape. I have used one for the last 11 years, the most resent use was two weeks ago. If fired up every month or so you'll have very little problem with them. Do not try to run mogas thru it though, mogas will destroy them.
Southwind heater
Southwind heater
Data plate
Data plate
Contact info
Contact info
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Richard Pulley,
I'm real curious. How does mogas effect South Wind Heaters? We used to have South Wind Heaters in all of our cab equipped Jeeps when I was up there in Fairbanks, AK, at Ladd AFB. They were installed in all of the enclosed military vehicles in those days. That was about sixty five years ago so maybe the newer ones are a different sort of an animal.
BL
bat443

Post by bat443 »

I think it is a different kind of mogas. Wish we could by the kind of mogas they made 65 years ago.

Tim
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

blueldr wrote:Richard Pulley,
I'm real curious. How does mogas effect South Wind Heaters?
Alcohol and residue. I suppose if you used the heater every day you could get away with it for awhile but let mogas sit for any length of time in those pot-metal solenoid valves and regulators and they will gum up and corrode. 100LL leaves no residue. When I inspect my heater, it is absolutely clean inside using 100LL.

Any Volkswagon guys out there still have a gas fired heater that works?

I used Texaco leaded regular for 20+ years in my C170 and C-180 with excellent results. That gas is gone.

BL- We can't get that magic mogas you guys in CA have (that doesn't do any damage) anywhere else in the country.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

BL- We can't get that magic mogas you guys in CA have (that doesn't do any damage) anywhere else in the country.
There's lighting a fire and making some heat. :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

In testing mogas for alcohol, we fill the test tube to the 10% line with water then fill it to the top with the mogas. We shake the test tube vigorusly and then allow it to settle out. The alcohol will then join with the water and show us how much alcohol is in the gasoline.
Since we don't want to get alcohol in the airplane, we now pour about 25 or 30 ounces of water into each gas tank, and then fill it with mogas. The airplane is then vigorusly shaken for about thirty seconds and then we go back in the FBO to take a leak and get a last shot of coffee. By the time we get back to the airplane, the water and alcohol has settled out in the tank sumps. We drain the sumps until clear gas comes out, strap the airplane to our ass, and off we go into the wild blue.
Believe me, Fellas, Flyin' is a lot of fun!
If it' cold enough to need a south Wind heater, we stay home and watch a dirty movie.
BL
BlakeinAlabama

Post by BlakeinAlabama »

I didn't see any prices in those posts. Can someone tell me they have paid for them or what they have seen them go for in the past? A ballpark.
Blake Mathis
Huntsville, AL
BlakeMathis@yahoo.com