Old Issues of The 170 News

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Old Issues of The 170 News

Post by Ryan Smith »

I have found myself looking on eBay for things I don't need as of late and stumbled across what I thought to be a pretty neat item. 14 issues of the 170 News; 2nd quarter 1980, 4th quarter 1980, 1st quarter 1881, 3rd quarter 1981, 4th quarter 1981, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter 1982, 1st, 2nd,3rd and 4th quarter1983 and 1st quarter 1984. They were purchased partly because of my interest in the history of the organization, but probably more importantly, in the vain hope that there would be a picture of N2256D somewhere. No such luck. :(

They arrived today wrapped in brown paper that had been torn halfway off, but the magazines weren't damaged and they are in better condition than my issues from the late 1980s, and were all addressed to Tom Schad (#2210) of Del Rio, TX. I'm a sucker for old magazines, and have virtually every EAA Sport Aviation from 1968 onward, as well as a ton of issues of Plane & Pilot, AOPA Pilot, Flying, and various others that I've hoarded over the years. There are some really cool articles and it is crazy seeing names in there that I recognize from well before I was born. I'll try to scan some pages soon, but there are some good pictures in there of a very young Miles Bowen, as well as Ed Booth, and others. Many pictures from these magazines have made their way to the 170 Book, but it's still really cool to see it all.

Just thought I would share. If anyone has extra copies of old 170 News or knows where there may be some to be had, I'd be very interested. I've got a decent collection now spanning four decades sporadically, so it would be nice to fill in some holes.
mit

Re: eBay Score

Post by mit »

I have almost all of them from 1968 to now. :?
Tim
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: eBay Score

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ryan, glad you mentioned this. A few years ago I bought a box full of early Association pubs at the convention auction so that I could scan them and make them available to the members. I scanned them but never posted them it seems.

I'll have to get that done ASAP. I am missing issues in the 80s maybe someone can scan theirs and we can fill the holes for a complete library.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com