FAA "Dues"

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

blueldr

FAA "Dues"

Post by blueldr »

I just read where the EAA agreed to pay their "Dues" to the FAA for the next few years. I would tend to guess that the majority of the pilots that fly in to Oshkosh will get their one yearly assist from the FAA at that time. I am no longer a member of EAA so I have no iron in the fire, If I was still a member, I'd be some pissed at the EAA leadership.
It kind of reminds me of a squib in the newapaper where it mentioned that some local fire department officers made more than the Chief justice of the U.S.Supreme Court. Have you ever seen the total dollar amount that some of the flight control people make in a year? Your Tax Dollars at work!
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: FAA "Dues"

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I think what the EAA did ending their suit was disgusting and badly played.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:.... Have you ever seen the total dollar amount that some of the flight control people make in a year? Your Tax Dollars at work!
I never begrudge a man his salary.

This is just another reason I quit EAA and I don't want a single one of my tax dollars going to help them. They already get plenty of non-profit dollars.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DWood

Post by DWood »

After 911, I rejoined AOPA as they (EAA and AOPA) are the only organizations that actually try to keep us flying. Even though I am not impressed with the "wine club" and other schemes at AOPA, I do believe they have my flying interests at heart. Some day I actually believe we might all be thankful when we can fly LSA with a drivers license or still fly the system without a charge or maybe even no third class medical requirement.

As far as the settlement, I suspect that EAA needs to play nice with the FAA to continue to have a win win relationship. The agreement also allows EAA options to utilize resources other than the FAA and every year is actually negotiated based on requirements. It is extremely expensive to litigate the Federal Government. Companies that I am familiar with tend to settle as apposed to litigate due to the costs.

$40 or $50 a year per organization (EAA and AOPA) to me seems reasonable as it is when I annually pay a similar amount to belong to this org.

The bottom line is if you don't like it, don't join.

Just my opinion
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

I am probably missing something here but what is wrong with an aviation group holding a huge fly in like Oshkosh paying for the air traffic expenses that are above and beyond what the FAA has budgeted for that airport? If I have missed the issue I apologize. We are all trying to reduce government expenses and this is, to me an example of putting our money where our mouth is. If I was flying in to Oshkosh, I sure would appreciate ATC services for additional safety and wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks personally to cover it. What would it cost per pilot? $40-$50? I just don't see it as that big a deal.
DWood

Post by DWood »

I do not see Oshkosh charging a separate "landing" or "event" fee for flying in as it will prevent some owners from attending.
If Sun N Fun has to pay for controllers this year that will determine how fair it is (in my opinion).
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I can remember when the annual inspection on my airplane was done by a CAA inspector at no cost.
I can remember when flight checks for the various pilot ratings were done by CAA inspectors at no cost.
I acn remember when there were manned flight service stations all over the country who reported the local weather and handled communications.
I can remember when an an applicant for a rating took a written exam at a CAA office at no cost.
I can remember getting an ATP check ride from a CAA inspector at no cost.
I know that I became older than dirt, but WHAT HAPPENED?
Last edited by blueldr on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BL
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Above and beyond their budget? The EAA convention isn't exactly a new event.

As for the rest of it, well, user fees are usually a political club of some kind, used to show who's boss.
Bruce Fenstermacher

DWood wrote:If Sun N Fun has to pay for controllers this year that will determine how fair it is (in my opinion).
I believe they paid last year.

DWood

Post by DWood »

Sun N Fun did pay last year

Here is an excerpt from EAA

Pelton described what he called FAA's "2013 Surprise" that began the process.

"In approximately April or May of last year prior to AirVenture, the FAA contacted me and said that they had just charged Sun 'n Fun for their event," Pelton opened, "and in order for us to hold AirVenture in 2013 and have the air traffic control support, and also get the necessary waivers and exemptions that are required for us to have the event, we would have to enter into a service agreement with them."
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

They paid so they can have all the waivers for the show. Isn't it the way political things work? It still isn't fair and will probably set future payments that we don't want.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

DWood wrote:Sun N Fun did pay last year

Here is an excerpt from EAA

Pelton described what he called FAA's "2013 Surprise" that began the process.

"In approximately April or May of last year prior to AirVenture, the FAA contacted me and said that they had just charged Sun 'n Fun for their event," Pelton opened, "and in order for us to hold AirVenture in 2013 and have the air traffic control support, and also get the necessary waivers and exemptions that are required for us to have the event, we would have to enter into a service agreement with them."

OK, paying for the FAA to provide tower services is one thing.
But paying in order to get the waivers and exemptions? How does it cost the FAA anything to issue the same waiver and exemptions they've issued for the last who knows how many years? That sounds like blackmail.
Bruce Fenstermacher

The FAA blackmailed the EAA. They probably didn't say it but the atmosphere that I perceive reading between the lines was pay our you don't get to play.

hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

That sets the precedence for user fees.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:I can remember when the annual inspection on my airplane was done by a CAA inspector at no cost.
I can remember when flight checks for the various pilot ratings were done by CAA inspectors at no cost.
I acn remember when there were manned flight service stations all over the country who reported the local weather and handled communications.
I can remember when an an applicant for a rating took a written exam at a CAA office at no cost.
I can remember getting an ATP check ride from a CAA inspector at no cost.
I know that I became older than dirt, but WHAT HAPPENED?

ALL that cost. It was paid for by taxpayers.

In the modern worlds, someone discovered that if gov't programs were privatized that they could go into that particular business and make money. They supported politicians who facilitated that change and have convinced the majority of taxpayers they will save money if we let those private companies make profits by privatizing gov't services.
You can't have it both ways. Either insist on liberal gov't which provides services paid for by taxpayers.... or conservatively let companies make profits performing gov't services. Example: Lockheed-Martin FSS.
Public education is next.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)