Red vs. Blue

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Red vs. Blue

Post by Ryan Smith »

Hi guys.

I always wondered if there was any method to Cessna's madness when selecting colors for airplanes. I've been looking at some pictures, and it seems that airplanes (at least the sample I have for 1952 models) ending in an odd number were blue, and those ending in even numbers were red. Serial numbers and N-numbers correspond in the scenarios I've seen...20407 is N2255D, 20408 us N2256D, etc. Any evidence to prove/disprove this?

I know the late 170s have a finish legend on the data plate.

Just noodling.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Red vs. Blue

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

We don't know a lot about these planes, mainly because people didn't notice. Fact is with the vast info available for one to see on the internet, then ask others their observation, then consolidate and report the evidence, we are finding things out we didn't know before.

Case in point until three weeks ago if you asked if the rudders where the same on all the models, most of us would have said yes. But they are not. I'm in the middle of my study of that info with pictures with rulers in them to come.

Interesting you see a pattern. Document and share what info you have and we will see if it pans out.

There is a definite pattern of serial numbers verses registration numbers as can be seen in the membership directory in the members aircraft info.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Honestly, it didn't register with me until I added Walt Weaver on Facebook today. His airplane was on the assembly line ahead of my family's and I've noticed every subtle nuance about our airplane. I saw his panel background was blue, and that's when it clicked. Mike Roe's airplane (N2475D, odd number) is blue, David Ross' airplane (N2481D, odd number) is blue, Kyle Takakjian's airplane (N8087A, odd number) is blue, Charlie Beyer's airplane (N2320D, even number) is red, my family's airplane was red, Doug Mowrey's airplane (N8082A, even number) was red.

Digging a little deeper, I see that N2266D and N2294D were both blue, and both ended in even numbers. Guess I spoke too soon.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

N1715D was red. Original paint was found under the vertical stab in 2006.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Looks like the validity of my theory is fast dwindling. I don't suppose there were many special orders for these airplanes, were there? That could be what's throwing a monkey wrench into things.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Only if you have delusions of originality. :lol:
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

2481D was originally red and still has the red instrument panel. It was painted blue around 10 years ago.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

There probably was a reason or pattern to color choices but I'm guessing it had to do more with how many gallons of each they had in storage and the cost of buying more :wink:
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

bagarre wrote:2481D was originally red and still has the red instrument panel. It was painted blue around 10 years ago.
Well I'm really putting my foot in my mouth. I was using panel color as the basis for my statement since they are seldom changed, and I thought that your plexi panel was blue as well.

Back to the drawing board...