flying to AK

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

stogie17

flying to AK

Post by stogie17 »

Ferrying170B, 2526D from Crookston, MN to Fairbanks in April. Any current advice? Have bunch of helo time all over AK but new to 170. Thanks
minton

Re: flying to AK

Post by minton »

FOLLOW THE HIWAY!!!!!
mit

Post by mit »

Is that Mike's old plane?
Tim
Alaskan47

Post by Alaskan47 »

Flew my 170B up from Kentucky to Kodiak last May. Best flight I have ever done. wanted to turn around and do it again.
My bird is 3526D. Flew the whole way with ForeFlight on the ipad mini and Stratus. Flawless. I still have my flight plan if your interested.
My family is from the Wadena area and I was born and raised in Cloquet. Windiest part of the trip was through Mn.
You will have a blast.
imncntrl

Post by imncntrl »

stogie17 wrote:Ferrying170B, 2526D from Crookston, MN to Fairbanks in April. Any current advice? Have bunch of helo time all over AK but new to 170. Thanks
Have you left? If all goes well,I hope to make the trip from WA to AK in June or so via the highway.
Jared N5786C
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

I've made that exact journey a couple of times now in my 170, and as recently as last summer for the 170 convention in Kentucky.

"Follow the highway" is sage advice. And its really the only viable option from that part of the country.

The most difficult part of the entire trip was UNITED STATES CUSTOMS. Make sure you have all your I's crossed and your T's dotted before you deal with this particular branch of DHS.

I recommend the self-service fuel pump at Cold Lake. It was the cheapest I paid in all of Canadia. And the little clubhouse there is good for spending a night on the couch if you're looking to save a buck. Friendly folks there, too.

It will be good to have that red-and-yellow MV special back here in AK.

-Scott
stogie17

Post by stogie17 »

Hey Scott i sent you an email about instruction in 26D.
wldlndfirefghtr

Post by wldlndfirefghtr »

Stogie,

Did you do your flight up yet?? How was it? Some day I'll upgrade to a 170, but in the mean time I'll take the 150 I'll be flying up in May from WI.

Was wonder which route you took?

Jason
'56 170B N3526D
stogie17

Post by stogie17 »

Wx Minn. was so bad so long I finally left driving to AK and had plane ferried up later. Really sorry as had planned the trip and looked forward to it. I have flown AK off and on since 1980 and all pilots should see it. Just don't be in rush. Wx rules.