27% 170B build

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hilltop170

Re: 27% 170B build

Post by hilltop170 »

Good luck with your project, sounds like a fairly difficult job making all the parts yourself but very rewarding when done.

Is there such a thing as useful load on a scale model? I would guess not and you would always fly it as light as possible.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I have a few sets of large scale 170A & 170B plans all drawn back with old escapement type RC operation. I have always hoped to build one of these as modern RC. That engine would be my choice. I have a couple of L-19 plans as well and those are sort of first on my bucket list. However with building and repairing full scale air planes, jeeps and practicing guitar I do not know where it will fit in. I look forward to seeing you progress. I watch several model builds and build vicariously this way. I am currently working on a scratch built 1957 Nobler U-control. Where did your plans come from?
Regards,
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I gave up my modeling roots because I neither have the time or money for any other scale than 1:1. Can't really stand looking at the models and electronics today for I surely will get sucked back in. I did have one set back a year ago when I bought a Mini Vapor to fly off the pool table in our family room.
IMG_0551.jpg
I haven't really been in a hobby shop in quite some time for this reason. But recently I built a steam engine from scratch using my lathe. I wanted some fuel line for it and looked up the local hobbie shops in my area. They are all gone. No more will I be able to spend hours selecting just the right balsa or contemplating the colors of Monokote. It's all internet shopping now. And building seems to be a lost art. Bind and Fly is the new buzz word.

Will look forward to your progress.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

WOW, Wendell Hostetler, now there is a name from my past maybe about 1982. Don't remember why I remember his name but I do.

Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Hostetler plans? I almost bought some at Toledo a few years ago, but I was a little too picky and there were some things I didn't really like about how the plans were drawn, or how some of the lines were laid out.

I compete in precision aerobatic (pattern) competition. It's quite fun, and very neat to do. I've been privileged to be a coach on two world championship teams and have competed sporadically over the last 8 years or so. Below are a few of my pattern planes. I've trimmed down my fleet from about 65 airplanes to now about 30. Fully half of those are a pattern plane of some type or another, and the rest are various types from sport airplanes to EDF jets. I think my fun project for this year is to put a 3-cylinder Saito radial into a Hangar 9 1/4-scale J3 Cub that I'm clipping the wings on. Nobody in the R/C world knows about the Lenape-powered J3s that existed, so I'm sure it'll turn a few heads at the field.
Attachments
IMGP0230.JPG
050907_18481.jpg
photo 4.JPG
062808zz.jpg
Last edited by Ryan Smith on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I suppose I should read before I ask if they're Hostetler plans. :oops:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Bite off a little more and add two more cylinders making it a six like the C-145. 8O

Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan, you will need a field approval for that Lenape on a clipped wing as the TCDS clearly calls out a A-65 or 75 a fact even the 1:1 guys don't know.:lol:

Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Aryana wrote:Laser cut wood kit arrived today. Time to start gluing sticks together.
image.jpg
Is it done yet? :D
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I wonder how the engineering of the rear window is going to work out. Looks like it intersects one of the bulkheads. Now is the appropriate time to frame out the baggage door frame. :lol:

Looking really good! I can't really stand to look at any models right now, though once we get some consecutive nice days, I'm sure I'll be out at the field. I will be attending the Toledo Weak Signals trade show next week/weekend, so perhaps that will be the catalyst to get me going again. Get that thing done for the St. Louis convention this year, and maybe they'll resurrect the "Best Engineering" award. :D
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Who did you get the laser cut kit from?
Not that I need another hobby but it's been a few years since I built a model. I wonder if I still remember how to program my 9Z.
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

bagarre wrote:Who did you get the laser cut kit from?
Not that I need another hobby but it's been a few years since I built a model. I wonder if I still remember how to program my 9Z.
That needs to be moderated as a curse word on here. I was far too stupid to effectively program that radio, though I could manage somewhat with the 9Z WCII. The 14MZ and 18MZ are exponentially easier to program.

Obviously working for JR Propo, I am very much biased toward their product, but Futaba is good stuff.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Aryana wrote:Laser cut wood kit arrived today. Time to start gluing sticks together.
The attachment image.jpg is no longer available
Prepunched parts DO speed things up! :wink:
Attachments
image.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Wait a minute, thats not a 170 thats a Texas taildragger. You need to do some serious sanding to round out that tail.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
canav8

Post by canav8 »

lowNslow wrote:Wait a minute, thats not a 170 thats a Texas taildragger. You need to do some serious sanding to round out that tail.
I dont think anybody realizes how big that thing is. That is the vertical Stab only. The Rudder hasnt been added. Look at the adult shoes in the background. This is going to be one big monster. Aryana your going to need another Hangar!
Since you are going for detail, are you going to add stabilzer root fillet panels near the front of the vertical stab?
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug