Texas Based Pre-Buy

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Lebbon

Texas Based Pre-Buy

Post by Lebbon »

Would like to get a recommendation for an A&P to perform a pre-buy inspection in the Houston TX area.
I am in PA so I need some help. 1952 170B
GAHorn

Re: Texas Based Pre-Buy

Post by GAHorn »

I have used Ron Stegemoller in Brenham for annual inspection (prebuy) and he was both knowledgeable and fairly priced. He has experience on a wide variety of GA aircraft and should be able to provide a good inspection for you.

3103 Aviation Way, Brenham, TX 77833
(979) 836-0846

Brenham (11R) is just a few miles northwest of Houston.

Which airport in Houston is the prospective airplane based?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Lebbon

Post by Lebbon »

Aircraft is based at KAXH Houston Southwest
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The annual performed by Ron at Brenham was on a Stinson based at DWH (David Wayne Hooks in NW Houston.) Ron quoted $300 for the inspection only, and signed off that annual after finding only a Scott tailwheel desperately needed service. The flights from DWH to 11R and back was used as demo flights for the purchaser, and I felt the seller was a stand-up guy and demonstrated that attitude by allowing the airplane to be flown to an annual/prebuy.
(BTW, after the inspection, Ron refunded $25 stating that his original estimate for the inspection was too high. That says something about Ron, as well. Of course, a Stinson is a much simpler airplane than a 170.)

We have a MEMBER in TIC170A who is nearby Houston Southwest at Wolf Airpark. He owns a 170 of course, is an A&P/IA, and participates in some of our Texas fly ins.

OK, here it 'tis:
Contact John Heitz
281-309-1959

I just visited with him and he's waiting for your call.
I believe he may already know a little about the airplane in question.
Let me know if I can help in any way.
George
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Lebbon

Post by Lebbon »

Thanks so much for the contact!
Spoke with John this afternoon.
jmurtap

Post by jmurtap »

Hey George,
I have touched base with both John, and Ron for a Huston pre buy. I've hired John and feel he will do agreat job. Just wanted to let anyone else searching the forums know that Ron has informed me that he does not do pre buys, I'm not sure as to why but told me that he couldn't help me. Anyway thanks for the contacts guys this information has been very helpful.
Jason
Jason P
53 170
SN 25878

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ron does not do "pre buys" .... because it's not appropriate for the purpose. He will do an "annual inspection".
(He once did a Stinson 108 annual for a friend and charged $275 for it, then refunded $25 because the only thing found wrong was a mis-rigged Scott tailwheel.)

I'm glad John will help you, and you should be fine in his hands. (I expect to see him at the next fly-in, Jan 24th, Bryan Coulter Field.)