Skis

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

architect1

Re: Skis

Post by architect1 »

Found Airglas 2500's and changed over the rigging that was set up for a super cub... They work well, no problems so far on snow.
Attachments
Found skis for my 1952 C170B
Found skis for my 1952 C170B
1952 C170B
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

arch,
Great shine on your airplane. That is a really long looking prop, is it different? Your picture appears to be on a lake if it is what lake?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
minton

Post by minton »

architect1 wrote:Thanks for your comments. Looking at some Airglas skis not far from my home in N. Il. (plenty of snow here now). Airglas with 1.25" dia. bushings for a Supercub, I am told those need to be replaced with 1.5" dia. bushings and a portion of my axles have to be machined down to 1.5" dia as well...
You are correct! Steel axels the best!!
minton

Post by minton »

architect1 wrote:Found Airglas 2500's and changed over the rigging that was set up for a super cub... They work well, no problems so far on snow.
Noticed your rigging. It's outdated and unsafe. Look at new requirements.
mit

Post by mit »

minton wrote:
architect1 wrote:Found Airglas 2500's and changed over the rigging that was set up for a super cub... They work well, no problems so far on snow.
Noticed your rigging. It's outdated and unsafe. Look at new requirements.

No it isn't it is exactly like the STC says. Don't know why you would leave the breaks on.
Tim
minton

Post by minton »

Your cable/bungee mounting bracket that is in the gear leg is no longer approved. They have had some failures and over center issues. Newer rigging requirements have the forward bungees mounted on the boot cowl in the area of the upper engine mount and the forward check (Safety) cables on the lower engine mount bolt at the firewall. The rear check cables/brackets in the sear seat bracket areas.

Check with your A/I

Just a friendly OBTW :D
mit

Post by mit »

minton wrote:Your cable/bungee mounting bracket that is in the gear leg is no longer approved. They have had some failures and over center issues. Newer rigging requirements have the forward bungees mounted on the boot cowl in the area of the upper engine mount and the forward check (Safety) cables on the lower engine mount bolt at the firewall. The rear check cables/brackets in the sear seat bracket areas.

Check with your A/I

You should call Airglas and let them know that then. Cuase I don't think they do.

http://www.airglas.com/FixedWing/Servic ... fault.aspx
Tim
minton

Post by minton »

mit wrote:
minton wrote:Your cable/bungee mounting bracket that is in the gear leg is no longer approved. They have had some failures and over center issues. Newer rigging requirements have the forward bungees mounted on the boot cowl in the area of the upper engine mount and the forward check (Safety) cables on the lower engine mount bolt at the firewall. The rear check cables/brackets in the sear seat bracket areas.

Check with your A/I

You should call Airglas and let them know that then. Cuase I don't think they do.

http://www.airglas.com/FixedWing/Servic ... fault.aspx
Oh yeh, they do! They fall back on the original approvals. Remember I'm just the messenger. Spend the time and money and upgrade it. 43.13 only addresses the Cub type rigging. Contact F. Attlee Dodge they might be able to help or maybe the club archives.

Hope that helps.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

The Atlee Dodge coil springs and stainless fittings for the boot cowl, front check cable, and rear check cable are all very nicely done and easy to install. Whether required or not, the upgrade is definitely a good idea.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
mit

Post by mit »

I'm sure you are getting field approvals for moifications to the STC.
Tim
bat443

Post by bat443 »

Hi architect1. Plane looks great. To expand on Johneeb hinted at question, what prop are you running? Do you think it would be suitable for a 2000 ft strip with trees on the ends, on skis? Thank's.

Tim
49 170A
Tim
architect1

Post by architect1 »

Minton;

FYI:
I called Airglas and from talking to them, I found the comments you made about changing the rigging to eliminate the gear leg bracket do not apply to the Cessna 170's. The changes were made for an issue with the C180-185's.

The installation for the C170's is still per the original STC.
1952 C170B
architect1

Post by architect1 »

The prop is McCauley 7653. It seems to work out fine but I have not been in any real deep snow conditions and my plane has the Sportsman wing mod on it as well, probably makes a difference.
1952 C170B
mit

Post by mit »

architect1 wrote:Minton;

FYI:
I called Airglas and from talking to them, I found the comments you made about changing the rigging to eliminate the gear leg bracket do not apply to the Cessna 170's. The changes were made for an issue with the C180-185's.

Nobody ever believes me. :(
Tim
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

mit wrote:
architect1 wrote:Minton;

FYI:

Nobody ever believes me. :(
You just have that look! :lol:
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"