Power flow exhaust on 170B-360 Lycombing

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

canav8

Re: Power flow exhaust on 170B-360 Lycombing

Post by canav8 »

Francis Cahoon wrote:Thank you guys for replying to my question. A lot of what you guys had to say makes sense. I really am looking for any mod that is out there that would increase my ability to shorten my take off distance. If anybody has tried to acquire this type of mod, I thought it might be somebody from this group. So thanks again, and please continue to share your wealth of knowledge and more important, your experience.
You should tell us what you have already for mods then some of us can give you advice on what you should do to shorten your takeoff distance. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

A power flow exhaust? Why kill another donkey just to get a fancy exhaust?
BL
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

thank you for that latest post. I am still trying to find ways to increase my climb out ability thus the many questions I have. I think that for an old guy like me, old school is asking people that have had the mods I am interested in, do they work, and would you buy them again. I do very little pavement landing. some of the places I would like to land and takeoff from are fairly short in distance therefore the need for more power, some other mod. if you have time, I would like to talk to you over the phone. my number is 1-406-261-7046. thank you very much
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

D, thank you for your statement or question as to what mods the plane has at present time. there are the mods and plane as it stands.1954 170/180 Lycoming 0-360 A1M, Hartzel Compact Speed prop, Horton STOL, Cessna 175 empennage tail, Cessna 0-2 wheels and brakes, Dual Puck brakes, 180 Landing Gear w/P Ponk Gear Box reinforcement, Y Control Yoke, Scott 3200 Tail Wheel with heavy duty steering arm, no interior, some more stuff that does not effect the performance much, it is a B model also. please feel free to call me or what ever you decide. I am not very good on these new computers, I can read smoke signals better than use this stuff. my number I posted before. thank you very much, you guys are a great resource for an old Indian from Montana like my self. thanks again. F. Cahoon
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

Been flying a C-170B-O-360 Lycoming for the last 36 years. mostly in Alaska. One thing that you can do to shorten your take off run is to droop the ailerons slightly. You will have a trade off of a slower cruise speed. Start by shortening the rod to the bell crank by 1/2 turn, then fly the plane and do some stalls as well as note the take off distance. Keep doing that until you get the best compromise between take off and stall. Too much droop will cause a sharper break in the stall. I prefer a bit of a sink or mush before the plane breaks over to nose down. Would rather make a hard landing in a high sink than a nose plant due to a sharp breaking stall close to the ground. A sudden drop in headwind as you drop below treetops can really catch you sometimes even when the trees are behind you.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I can certainly see the appeal of PF systems. It all hinges on the keyword term "tuned exhaust". Keep repealing the term "tuned exhaust" and you will want to do something. Men are that way, we like mechanical things, how does it work? Can I buy a tool for it?

The design of our intake and exhaust systems may not have been foremost in minds at time of our original engine development. We do not have an acceptable exhaust system to begin with: the technology is at least 80 years old. Can you really expect much by adding PF system downstream?

I really like the term "tuned exhaust" it grows on you. Are we there Yet?

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
170C

Post by 170C »

Francis, there are a bunch of us that would like to see some photos of your plane. If you don't know how to post them (I don't either :oops: ) I will bet others would gladly do so for you if you sent them the photos.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

Frank,thanks for your comments, I have been trying to send a picture with little success. I will try to have one of my kids do it. Also the guy that explained his way of gaining a little shorter takeoff distance, sounds interesting, thank you sir. I would like to talk to you more, since you have a lot of time flying Alaska.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Frank, you must be a TIC170A member to post pictures directly on the forum. I don't see your name on our roster, have I missed it?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Frank, you must be a TIC170A member to post pictures directly on the forum. I don't see your name on our roster, have I missed it?
Bruce if I may, I think this was directed at Francis and not Frank. Posting pictures is a TICA 170 member privilege not just a forum member privilege. Joining this site does not constitute membership in the TICA 170. Have I got that right Bruce?
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

canav8 wrote:
Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Frank, you must be a TIC170A member to post pictures directly on the forum. I don't see your name on our roster, have I missed it?
Bruce if I may, I think this was directed at Francis and not Frank. Posting pictures is a TICA 170 member privilege not just a forum member privilege. Joining this site does not constitute membership in the TICA 170. Have I got that right Bruce?
Thanks, that is what I was trying to say to Francis. ( Frank got in the way :lol: )

Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

I thought that I had filled out all that stuff when I first asked this question. I might have messed it up because someone had to send me a new pass word, and then sometimes this darn thing says I can not even get on this site. I am sure that it is my doings that messed it up. I think I could e-mail a picture to someone or something. MAYBE
Bruce Fenstermacher

Francis email the picture to me and I will post it.

To be clear. Parts of this forum are provided free to anyone who registers and abides by forum rules. And we welcome and help these people as we would any member. The forum is provided by the International Cessna 170 Association and paid for by members thru dues paid to the Association. If you didn't pay dues, you didn't join the Association.

Francis Cahoon

Post by Francis Cahoon »

Thank you Bruce for clearing that up for me, I did not pay any dues, I do not know how much, to who, etc. In my opinion, your forum is great. I wish that more people would interact, and share their knowledge. I do not see many 170s in these back country videos, and wonder why. Are there people like me who does enjoy that type of flying in this type of plane. If so please share, I really enjoy the Cessna 170s. I hope that I achieve close to the super cub performance, with the ability of carrying more weight. If you have any ideas that work please let me know. Thank you. F. Cahoon
Bruce Fenstermacher

Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 8.47.51 PM.png
Francis, you see the two links that are above every forum page: Why join the TIC170A? and Join TIC170A or renew membership. I hope they are self explanatory. Dues are currently $45 a year.

There are lots of folks who use their 170 in the back country who frequent this forum. Heck I would it I had any back country any where near me but I don't. Of course the focus of the Association and therefor the forum is all aspects of the the 170 and it's operations. There are concerns common no matter how or where you operate and then I'd bet more 170s are operated in more traditional environments so it is only natural there isn't as much talk about back country operations as other topics.