Paint schemes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have seen some downright ugly paint schemes on 170's,as well as on other,off-brand airplane models. I'm sure that the owner who decided on the paint scheme thought it was beautiful,too bad nobody else thinks so. A case in point is a paint job that is supposed to make the airplane look like a bird. I've seen this type of scheme on a Swift,a Luscombe,and a Lancair. They all looked like something from a crack-pipe nightmare. 8O
I'm sure that one of these "only a mother could love" paint jobs would have a big effect on resale price,if & when you decide to sell your airplane. No offense,but you might want to think long & hard about going with a too-non-traditional paint scheme. The stickers/decals/computer-graphics idea might be a good way to go,then you couild just peel the design off after you sober up!

Eric
David Laseter

Evolving Paint Schemes

Post by David Laseter »

No offense taken!
Wouldn't it be just as good if that maroon stripe on 01V was a high quality sticker instead of paint? I think you're right, about changing one's mind sober or not. As I get older my taste definitely change.

Now mull this over :idea: Who is going to be buying 170's in the future? Will we have a 170 Club in 30 yrs? Babyboomer's that appreciate Classics (cars, planes, & John Wayne movies) will not be the one's buying 170's in the not-so-far-away future. The next generation grew up painting they're hair green, yellow striped mohawks, or tatooed heads. Mazda RX7, Stealth bombers, & Top Gun movies. My 19yr old (just got his twin engine certificate) nephew pilot, is drooling over remodeling my 3/4 ton truck & 170, and he'd paint classic over with neon, chrome, & wind spoilers, let me tell you. The 1st thing to go will be those Classic 170 red striped tube socks :lol: Red Windbreakers might be changed out for Black Fleece Jackets with Gold lettering. See where I'm going with this? For now Classic is King, tomorrow Cool will take over. Including Paint Schemes IMHO :wink:

2030 President,
Dave
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

zero.one.victor wrote:I have seen some downright ugly paint schemes on 170's,as well as on other,off-brand airplane models. I'm sure that the owner who decided on the paint scheme thought it was beautiful,too bad nobody else thinks so. A case in point is a paint job that is supposed to make the airplane look like a bird. I've seen this type of scheme on a Swift,a Luscombe,and a Lancair. They all looked like something from a crack-pipe nightmare. 8O
I'm sure that one of these "only a mother could love" paint jobs would have a big effect on resale price,if & when you decide to sell your airplane. No offense,but you might want to think long & hard about going with a too-non-traditional paint scheme. The stickers/decals/computer-graphics idea might be a good way to go,then you couild just peel the design off after you sober up!

Eric
I agree with you, Eric! Although, it took me a minute to pick myself up off the floor from laughing so hard before I could type this. "Crack pipe nightmare... " :lol: You're right, there are definitely some paint jobs out there that one looks at and says "Some things just shouldn't be done".

As for Dave's "cool vs. classic" question about the future, maybe I can set him at ease a little. I'm 36 and spent my teen years in the '80s when everyone had big hair, leg warmers, headbands and talked like California surfer dudes. One thing I never lost a love for, though, was classic planes. Teenage "coolness" is a phase; as we mature we tend to appreciate classic things more. Don't forget that part of being "cool" is being "different" and the 170 is definitely different than most of the planes on the ramp. I get a lot of compliments from people of all ages on the simple fact that the 170 is a neat looking plane. Keep the paint job classic; it looks good and when it comes time to sell it someone who truly appreciates it will buy it and take good care of it.
Doug
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Doug, Eric has a cool paint job! I downloaded it into my favorite 170 paint scheme's last year. I'm the one with the antique paint scheme (N4387B), but neither are near original. How come? Already been through generational paint scheme changes. Sounds like you're maturing a lot faster than me! You can be the 2030 president?
Send your plane picture to http://www.c170pics.org
Dave
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Whoa! Down boy! 2030 presidential nominations already? Let me get used to being President of my EAA chapter first. :)

One of these days I'll get a picture to Susan for her database. My paint scheme isn't original either, but I sure wish it was. In another year or two it will be.
Doug
susang777

Post by susang777 »

It's not my database. The C170 picture database belongs to the 170 owners. I'm just taking care of it for a while. I didn't even originate it. Gary Craze did.

The c170pics.org site is mine, but again it's for all 170 owners (including me!), and if comes down to it, I'll turn that one over to someone else to take care of. I'm having way too much fun with it now, though. :D

In fact, I'm going to be posting a new topic message about it sometime soon. Meanwhile, back to the topic. If it were totally up to me, I'd paint the 170 in some really cool swoopy design with electric blue, purple and pink colors. But my husband is a little more conservative by nature (I love him dearly, anyway :wink: ), and I do like the traditional paint schemes, too, so we quite easily compromised on getting a traditional one next time around, probably next year the way things are going.

Unless it's terribly ugly (and yes, I do agree there are some ugly paint jobs out there 8O, although the 170's clean lines shine through them all despite it, IMHO), I don't think the paint scheme will make much difference to the value. I could be wrong, but I think the condition of the paint job makes more of a difference, similar to the SMOH for the engine. A question of what money will have to be spent on the airplane in the near future, basically.
-Susan
N3440D
55 170B
TIC170A Member
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

I would like to give THANKS to all the men and women in our armed services and those before them for our right to paint airplanes any way we like!
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

I agree to that of the 170 as a the most beautiful aircraft on ramps today when using the original paint schemes, but i also think that with a non conventional one, it look very good too!!! I think ill try to do some photoshop on mine, with electric blue and those indian paintings, just to be shure it look like in mi imagination. Saludos
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ha! Eric! You're a HOOT! :lol:
My airplane (for those who don't know is in the original scheme) was originally purchased for restoration by Bill Goebel when it had a god-awful ordinary, chalky, late-60's general-aviation paint scheme. At the same time, Bill had a mustache, bushy 'fro hairdo (even tho' he's caucasian) and wore polyester bell-bottoms and tie-dyed shirts in the early restoration photos. His friends/helpers in the pics were combinations of geeks and hippies.
But they still recognized the value and timelessness of period-style that goes with any classic item of art, which is what these airplanes are to some people. (Like classic art, we never actually own them. We are only their caretakers for a while.) And those are the ones you find in original and/or classic schemes.
Then there are the work-horse tools-of-the-trade that live in work-clothes and do their jobs day-in/day-out, reliably, and faithfully year after year after year. They can't afford and/or don't have time to "dress up".
Then there are the "peacocks" that like to strut and flash their stuff, be creative, and live for no one but themselves (and their owners) and don't give a damn what others think. Maybe someday they'll change, maybe not. If they do, it'll be when they damn well please.
Finally there are the "other types" that live in the Montrose district, Green-wich Village, San Francisco, Bourbon Street, or GrandPrarie, insisting on ordination as clergy and same-sex marriage, cross-dressing in green, and falsely making claims they're "normal" or "fast" .... which, of course, the rest of all know is false. :roll:
We should all just "Live and let live." :wink:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Georgie Boy, down in liberal land, upstream from Hippie Hollow, quote the post where I claim to have a fast airplane. There is quilt of pointing out your slowness, but no bragging on speed.

P.S. Hippy Hollow, just a mile or two from Georgie Boy's house, is where naked boys legally lay naked together basking in the public sun for those from more distant parts that don't know where the San Fran of Texas is.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

There are some good points in your post George. Airplanes in Alaska are usually just a mode of transportation, like a second car. When I bought my plane I was just looking for a plane, not particularly a 170. Alaskans' get the 170's because the 180's and Super Cubs cost too much. Round tail? Just get me to the fish! I never knew anything about the 170, being a Classic Legendary Part of American History in which it's owners are caretakers of timeless art they really never own, until joining the 170 Club :idea: (actually I just learned that). Wish the real owner would help with the bills! :lol: I didn't grow up around planes. Transportation to the Bush is all I wanted. Truthfully, I've gotten into it NOW. I confessed to Eric in a PM that I was being a bit provokative for the fun of it. I'm not going to mess my plane up with a loud looking paint job! Now tell me this! When did the Cessna check mark become part of the paint job. Mine has one on the rudder and I consider it Classic, but I know they were'nt original? Is this just something owners started doing later on? Were the 60's & 70's, 172's painted that way or something?

Caretaker of N4387B
Dave
Last edited by David Laseter on Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N1478D wrote:Georgie Boy, down in liberal land, upstream from Hippie Hollow, quote the post where I claim to have a fast airplane. There is quilt of pointing out your slowness, but no bragging on speed.

P.S. Hippy Hollow, just a mile or two from Georgie Boy's house, is where naked boys legally lay naked together basking in the public sun for those from more distant parts that don't know where the San Fran of Texas is.
Hippy Hollow is a clothing-optional beach at the eastern-most end of Lake Travis, about 50 miles downstream from my place. (I live at channel marker 58, and Hippy Hollow is at 2.) It got it's name from the '60's crowd who originated the idea of making it clothing optional during the free-love decades and has nothing to do with any other sexual persuasions. I've heard of the area between Hippy Hollow and Windy Point being a gay hangout area, but it's not actually legal there and there are frequent arrests made by the Deputy sherriff's who operate a patrol boat in the area. I never noticed any naked boys laying naked together,...but then, I never went there to look for them. :?
Last edited by GAHorn on Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Kelly,did you get your B model back from the paint shop yet? Tell us all aout it......

Eric
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

That goes for you too, Mr. Brown. :D
C'mon share with us! :lol:
Dave
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Eric,

The base is done and he is masking the scheme. He said he would not have it assembled for the weekend. So I am planning to go get it on Valentine's Day. I am getting itchy without it. I've been stuck flying Cubs whenever the weather allows. They are fun, but I hate going that slow. I'll send pictures when I get 'em.

How's 01V doing?

Kelly