Paint schemes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

funseventy

Paint schemes

Post by funseventy »

I am getting ready to send my airplane to get painted. I would love to have some input. It is a 1954 170B and it is going to be all paint and I'm not necessarily in love with the original scheme. I do like the '53 schem but I'd also like to hear about custom schemes. On the TIC170A homepage the is a line drawing of an "A" model that you could use to create your own. I'd love to see what you think. I would prefer keeping it to two colors and simple. Send me an e-mail with pictures or drawings if you'd like.

Kelly
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I wrestled with this subject briefly before deciding to put the original scheme back on the plane (when I get the money). After much sketching and soul searching I decided that what I like best are "classic" paint schemes - makes sense given that I own a classic. What I settled on (for a non-factory original scheme) was the old Airmaster scheme modified to fit the 170. There's something about that scheme that's just real pretty - the way the trim color starts at the leading edge of the wing by the tip and curves gently back toward the trailing edge where it joins the fuselage. And the tail feathers look especially nice when given the same treatment. I still think about doing it from time to time.
Doug
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I am getting close to the day I fly my '50 170A off to the paint shop. I think I have picked the scheme that I like but now I am wrestling with choice of colors. I will use an all paint scheme. What colors were used back in 1950? The scheme I like is the top cowling painted then that color is trailed back into a thin stripe. The cowling grills are base color which is white and that goes trailing back seperating the lower matching color for the top. In the front on the cowing that curves downward. Like a scallop or swoose. Then you have the three bars stripes on the tail. Maybe that's good discription. Wonder if the schemes have names?
I have thought about black trimmed with platnum stripping on white. Never have seen this scheme with black.
What do you think?
Curtis
djbaker

paint

Post by djbaker »

Take a look at http://susang777.home.mindspring.com/170pics There are as many designs as you can imagine. We just kept going through until we could narrow it down. We decided to go for dark leading edges. This get the frost off quickly in the fall, winter and spring. You also don't see the bugs !
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Well, I'm having an anger management moment! :evil:
I just spent my last 3 hours researching and posting a lengthy msg regarding paint schemes, colors, specifications, as pertains to year models etc., and got an "invalid session" messge when I submitted it, thereby losing 3 hours of work. I'm not going to do that again.
But for those of you interested in exact info regarding original schemes, telephone me (I'm in the membership directory) and I'll try to help you.
For the merely curious, most of the Owner Manuals list some of the most basic data. :?
n3439d

paint

Post by n3439d »

Other things to consider when repainting. Some colors and paint types sun fade more than others. think about what the colors will look like with a couple of years of fade. Also consider sticking to very standard colors, if you need to do a repair painting will be easy. I painted my plane with a match to krylon colors for this reason.
ken
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I'm going through some similiar thoughts on the 180 I'm buying (provided it gets by the pre-purchase annual.)

The old retired United captain who owned it had it re-painted in 1985 with Imron - it's still in very good shape, being hangared. The problem is, it's in about a 1960 210 or Skylane scheme. Some of those early 60s Cessna designs are pretty darn busy! It looks like an old airplane scheme, which is fine with me - better than a custom or late model factory job. He even had the large wing numbers put back on, which I happen to like. When I asked him why he went with the 1960 design, he insisted that it came from the factory that way! Hmmm, I wasn't about to argue but I did wonder how he missed all the pictures in the 1954 Owners manual still with the airplane!

For the time being I can live with it, but eventually I'll go back to the 1954
factory scheme - but probably painted overall instead of polished aluminum. And the big wing numbers will stay, because I think they're cool!

I've seen pictures of new fully painted Cessnas from that era in old aviation magazines, most recently a 180 on floats on the cover of Air Facts, c.a. 1955. I've been told that for more money you could get your Cessna fully finished from the factory, at least for the seaplane versions; does anyone know this for sure? How about it George? Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
Eric Leclercq

Paint schemes

Post by Eric Leclercq »

For what it's worth, I find the paint sheme of the C-190 fit's quite well the 170 (very simillar) you can use the white with those black 'square and add any basic color (red,yellow,green,orange...) to do quite an appealing sheme. I have a very nice picture of a yellow 190 if you need reference.

joke: you could do like some airline's, paint it white and add stikers... :wink:

Seriously, one thing to consider is the availability of very good stikers, they are now able to print any pictures or drawings on them.

Eric
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

Some time ago, my wife and I, decided that when we do a paint job on the plane, we will paint it Blue, with indian paintings on it, We have artist friend who will perform that. Is not original at all. Dont know why but i dont like much the original schemes i saw on the web. Well im not planning to have an original plane, like custom stuff! Saludos.
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
susang777

Post by susang777 »

The Cessna 170 picture database is at:
http://susang777.home.mindspring.com/C170pics/
I'm happy it is helpful in picking out paint schemes, among other things.

We're thinking in that direction now, too, and will have to repaint N3440D soon. I think we'll end up with a scheme that has elements of N1827D (nice combination of the implied white stripe with the old-fashioned scheme), N3004A (same, with the addition of the leading edge painted, which I like), N3211A (same but with the simplicity of a smaller stripe), and N9149A (same, without the implied light stripe, but with the big N#). My favorite modern scheme has the colors of N3575D and the style of some other planes I've seen with swoopy swirls.

John and I both like the big numbers on the side of the plane, and the old-fashioned classic look for the 170. I like blue, as does John, so it will probably be white or silver with blue, but probably not polished, unfortunately. It's a lot of work to keep it polished here in the South, I've been told (thanks for that advice again, guys!).
-Susan
N3440D
55 170B
TIC170A Member
susang777

Post by susang777 »

George,
I value your advice and opinions highly, and I know I'm not the only one. If you get the time again, I surely would like to hear what you were going to say about paint schemes.

Maybe it would help to put it into Notepad or Word and copy it all at once when you're done. What a shame to lose all that work! I would have had an anger management moment, too!
-Susan
N3440D
55 170B
TIC170A Member
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

George I second Susans request.

I to have lost large posts and gotten frustrated only to write them better the second time (and usually in a shorter period of time.) The type of document you described should be stored for the club in another format other than this, such as PDF or ASCII (text) for future club publications and reference anyway.

And I don't say it enough. I really appreciate your input and the time it takes here and elsewhere with the Club. When I get an idea sometimes I can't what to post here just to see what response I may get out of you :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

BORING :D
I just bought a Vinyl Horse Fence instead of a paint job :( ,
but when I do get the paint job it's NOT going to be Classic. I like those big swirls on Motor Homes. Are those stickers? :D Been trying to fit the 2002 Cessna 172 paint scheme on the 170 also. Swirls, Flames, Ribbons, or maybe even a Razorback on the tail, something that shows signs of life.

George, I found copying and pasting my message into Word before posting, to be a quick & easy back up.
jon s blocker

paint schemes

Post by jon s blocker »

David,
Go to your friendly neighborhood sign company. They can make up just about anything as far as stick on designs for your plane. They will stick well and stay on, (that is what they use on race cars). They can usually reproduce any shape and size.
Jon
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Thanks for the tip Jon! I'm thinking of painting the plane solid white and then getting the stick on's I like. After a few yrs if I havn't won Peoples Choice, change to another design. I figured there must be a problem with doing this or everyone would be doing it.
Dave