Paint schemes

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Aerosmith sent me pics of my Delta masked off gettin' ready for the stripes. It shouldn't be too long now.

ISSA NADA EZE AREADIN OLE GARS RATT'N. BUDA THANKA UNDA STAN.
HOPELY I CAN MAKA STOP PIN. SOUNDS LAK LOTTA FUN.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Adding this to Painting info......

AIRCRAFT PAINTINGCaleb RiceAirworthiness SPMFAA, LIT FSDO When getting an aircraft painted, one of the first things to do is select a person to perform the maintenance. Yes, painting is maintenance or maybe preventive maintenance. CFR Title 14, Part 43, section 43.9 requires a maintenance record entry, therefore the painting must be approved for return to service by an appropriately certificated person.Who is a person? CFR Title 14, Part 1, section 1.1 defines person as an individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint-stock association or governmental entity. It includes a trustee, receiver, assignee, or similar representative of any of them.The painting of the aircraft, (stripping, cleaning, masking, applying paint, installation of placards, etc.) must be performed in accordance with CFR Title 14, Part 43, section 43.13: Each person performing maintenance, alteration or preventive maintenance on an aircraft shall use the methods, techniques, and practices prescribed in the current manufacturer’s maintenance manual or Instructions for Continued Airworthiness prepared by its manufacturer or other methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator, except as noted in section 43.16.Any removal of material (metal, or composite) from the aircraft, rivet heads, etc. is not allowed. The removal of corrosion preventive products must be applied back on the aircraft in accordance with the appropriate data. Dynamic smoothners (commonly referred to as Bondo) must be listed in the manufacturer’s consumable materials chart and applied in accordance with the aircraft manufacturer’s data. The aircraft should be thoroughly cleaned after the application of paint removing products. Some of these chemicals may be corrosive or have some other chemical reaction with materials on the aircraft. Remember these products get in all open areas, just like the rain or wash water. The residue from paint removal may stop up drains, preventing the rainwater, water used for cleaning, and other substances from draining out of the aircraft. All required placards, markings, etc., removed in the painting process, must be installed on the aircraft before approval for return to service. Some of the placards, markings, etc., are required by Federal Aviation Regulations, including airworthiness directives.Aircraft manufacturers usually require balancing of the flight controls after painting. The balancing and installation must be done in accordance with section 43.13.It is a good maintenance practice to weigh the aircraft after removal and application of paint even if the manufacturer does not require it. Is the aircraft airworthy if the empty weight and balance has changed due to the paint process and no new weight and balance has been computed? Just another item of maintenance to consider. The aircraft should get a thorough inspection after painting and before flight. BEFORE FLIGHT!!!!, HOW ABOUT BEFORE APPROVAL FOR RETURN TO SERVICE? Some of the areas of particular attention may be the static ports, pitot tubes, engine intakes, wheel wells, the attachment of the flight controls, and the correct direction of travel for the flight controls. Also the aircraft should get a maintenance test flight before carrying passengers, ref. CFR Title 14, Part 91, section 91.407(b).
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

I weighed my airplane last June after doing a lot of mods and stripping it and it came in at 1264 lbs. Since then I have done a few items like a Pilot III GPS and Cargo Tiedowns that weigh in at around 3 lbs bringing the total to 1267. Yesterday I weighed the airplane after being painted and it came in at 1296 lbs. So in other words a 3 color Hi-Solids paint job on a 170 is worth 29 lbs.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Thanks Kelly,that's the information I was interested in. So a pretty paint job equals about 5 gallons of gas,eh? Seems like a pretty good trade-off.

Eric
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

As most of us, if I would start visiting the salad bar a little it would only mean 2 gallons of gas. I need to see a loss of 15 at least.

Kelly
Slimmer than some, rounder than others, and down the taxi way from Jenny Craig! :roll:
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I prefer to think that with 170 pilots,"round is beautiful" doesn't just refer to the tailfeathers! (At least that's what I tell myself as I order that pie ala mode at the airport cafe!)

Eric
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I am having my 1950 A model painted. I have sent the paint shop pictures of a paint scheme I wanted. They said the pictures would be enough to use to create the scheme. However, they have made some mistakes. At this time I am not sure what they will do to correct the errors. But if they ask for blue prints at this late date in order to gain leverage in their position I would like to have some. So I am looking for blue prints. WHERE DO I START
Curtis
C170BDan

paint lines

Post by C170BDan »

Curtiss,

I purchased thru a contact at Cessna (trying to find that contact again... see my post under Factory Photos) and they sent me a detailed drawing of how my 56 paint scheme should be. Wonder if Cessna has copies of all their models? Sorry to hear of the mistakes and if I find that contact for the photos or drawings I'll let you know.

Blue Skies,
Dan
1956 170B N3467D
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

We changed the engine mount today and I flow Delta home. She is setting in the hangar and looks more beautiful than ever. The new paint job is awesome! I can live with the slight disappoint about the scheme. I felt the quality of the paint job was just too nice to attempt any effort at a correction. I hope to make it to Sun n Fun. Look for me. 1256D deep red on white.
Curtis
iowa

Re: Paint schemes

Post by iowa »

hi all!

it's been a long time since i've posted
been flying my 1942 L4 most of the time

i see in this thread
that C170B N3575D is mentioned for it's paint scheme

i happened to see this airplane on a Perry Mason show!!
the episode called:
'the case of the guilty clients'

i'd like to see what this plane looks like now
could s.o. post a picture of it
or provide me with a link to it?

thanks

dave
'iowa'
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747