Best Mods for 170 STOL performance

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

powderburner

Best Mods for 170 STOL performance

Post by powderburner »

Talked with a few guys, the sportsmans stol kit, VG's a sea climb prop were all mentioned...what have you guy used and found to improve short take off and landing performance? i know bigger tires on a cub really change the angle and help it off the ground at times..what about the 170..lets here some ideas.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Best Mods for 170 STOL performance

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The biggest single mod you can do to a 170 or any aircraft is put a bigger engine in it. In the case of the 170 that would be Lycoming 180 or Continental IO360. Of course that will cost you about $45k today.

Otherwise all the same mods you do to a Cub or any other aircraft you do to a 170 to attain STOL performance.

And just like any other aircraft the number one thing you can do is learn how to fly and get good at flying the aircraft you have. Hard to beat a pilot who knows his aircraft and is comfortable pushing it to the edge of the envelope.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

All that Bruce said plus strip out as much weight as needed. Old wires, radios, foam, 30 pound back seats, pilot spare tire....
robw56

Post by robw56 »

Since I've owned my 170 I've added a 80/42 climb prop, 26'' bushwheels + baby bush tailwheel, and a sportsman stol kit. For reducing the takeoff distance and increasing the rate of climb the new prop helped out the most. The sportsman stol kit is really great too, it allows you to approach a lot slower and the slow flight capability is much improved. I can make approaches using a little power at 45mph. It also allows you to climb out at a steeper angle, the new vx is 48mph. These two additions makes flying the 170 in the mountains at high density altitudes much more comfortable than before. Also I did notice with the 26'' bushwheels the plane will fly a little sooner with the increased angle of attack it allows. I love the way my plane is set up and it does a good job with the power available, but I would still like to put a bigger engine in it some day. Most airstrips are not a problem for me, but the time to climb at gross weight is too slow and I would also like more speed for cross country flights, right now I cruise at 105mph.

robw56

Post by robw56 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote: And just like any other aircraft the number one thing you can do is learn how to fly and get good at flying the aircraft you have. Hard to beat a pilot who knows his aircraft and is comfortable pushing it to the edge of the envelope.
I'll second that statement, knowing your plane and how to fly it at its limit to get every bit of performance out of it is the best mod you can do.
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
Last edited by bigrenna on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

bigrenna wrote:Of course by the time your done with all that, you will realize you should have bought a Skywagon. :wink:
And of course shortly after that you buy the Skywagon you will have an even greater appreciation for the 170. Right Greg. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zenpilot

Post by zenpilot »

Strip out as much weight as you can. Add an 80-42 prop for some cash, a STOL cuff for a bit more cash. Spend the rest on dead dinosaurs (gas). Most of the good operators I know can fly ratty stock-ish aircraft a lot better than the guys with $100k Gucci rides who only fly on occasion...
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
bigrenna

delete

Post by bigrenna »

delete
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bigrenna wrote:
zenpilot wrote:Most of the good operators I know can fly ratty stock-ish aircraft a lot better than the guys with $100k Gucci rides who only fly on occasion...

Always such a silly argument and not helpful. It's right up there with "I know you are but what am I..." The question was how to get the best short field perf out of the airplane, not why a "good operator" is better than someone who can afford to have a nice airplane.
I think I get what he is saying.....and I agree.
Good piloting skills outperform gadgets anytime. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

gahorn wrote:
bigrenna wrote:
zenpilot wrote:Most of the good operators I know can fly ratty stock-ish aircraft a lot better than the guys with $100k Gucci rides who only fly on occasion...

Always such a silly argument and not helpful. It's right up there with "I know you are but what am I..." The question was how to get the best short field perf out of the airplane, not why a "good operator" is better than someone who can afford to have a nice airplane.
But even the best pilot won't out climb a guy with a 360 under the cowl. :wink:

But I also agree, the most cost effective thing you can do for STOL is piloting skills.
robw56

Post by robw56 »

gahorn wrote:
bigrenna wrote:

Unless the pilot with gadgets has good piloting skills too :wink:
zenpilot

Post by zenpilot »

bigrenna wrote:

Missed my point...for the money, unless you are going to spend the $65k for the big motor, you are better with the few basic changes, and a lot of time flying the machine. Valdez proves it every year. Guys show up with highly modified rigs, and get schooled by those with lots of experience. Horsepower only gets you out, skill gets you in, and judgement keeps you from confusing the issue. Judgement comes from experience.

I stand by my original post. Get a prop, a cuff, and a bunch of time practicing, and your STOL work will be better than the guy with every mod floating around the interwebs.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

i knew what you meant not sure why it got over analylized. just wanted to know ASIDE FROM PILOT SKILL what mods have been the most effective for your planes and performance...