Negotiating a sale - setting a value

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Negotiating a sale - setting a value

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, one of the frustrations of buying is finding and you can throw away a lot of purchase-dollars travelling around looking at undesirable. It's inconvenient that used airplanes are never directly-comparable. Nor is it that the best ones are not advertised on the market at the time we have made our decision to buy. (The best ones are kept by their owners until those owners simply cannot justify holding onto it any longer for whatever reason and, in superb examples, acquaintances often have already spoken for it if the owner ever decides to sell.)

<Important realization for buyers>
Patience is key to getting the best airplane (whatever your definition of "best" is.) One of the most frustrating events can be "settling" for an "OK" airplane...only to find that a near-perfect example located nearby just came onto the market a month after your purchase.
It happens more than one might imagine. One might be looking only at aviation classifieds and totally miss the local airplane which isn't advertised. (Research the database to find all the registered target-airplanes nearby. Use your spare time to visit local airports (fun anyway) and look at those planes. Ask around to see how often it flies and how it's cared for. (Inactive planes that are only inspected each year are prime targets.) Contact the owner.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Expand that search to include S1-Cs as well.
The full symetric wing and four ailerons make the competition lines look the same in inverted flight but , unless you're Sean Tucker, who cares?
The S1C will do more than most mortals can handle, has a better rate of climb and lands a touch slower.

(I've been looking too)
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

There's a Panzl S-330 out here that's looking for a home, Arash. I think you should get that instead of a Pitts. :twisted:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I taught Sean Tucker's son in the Citation-X recently. What a nice guy. (and a decent banjo-musician, too!)
Aryana wrote:...I actually wouldn't mind picking one up from across the country. It would be a heck of an excuse to take a week off and spend some time with your new airplane with no distractions. Obviously it makes airworthiness and reliability more important because it can get pretty expensive fixing a new plane away from home.
This is why a club like our assoc'n might be a benefit.... we may have Members nearby willing to go have a look-see before you spend too much.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

rickyricky2 wrote:And I went through the same thing before I bought 2704C from Charley in September this year. I was torn between flying all over the country or looking local. Lucky for me Maine is only a 3 hour drive. I have met Greg in Plymouth and now I have got to get down to Chattham on Cape Cod to meet Kyle. I owned a T-Craft 30 years ago and that was the last time I flew. After going to the Rusty Pilots seminar at Plymouth the day before the AOPA fly in, I had to get back into flying. At first my instructor at Plymouth tried to have me stay on the center line. I was trying to keep it on the runway. Much better now. Thanks Charley.

Dick Bryant

Dick,

Looks like you and I were doing the same thing in September in Massachusetts. I picked up a '52 170B (N2315D) (my first plane) in September as well. I keep it in Sterling (3B3). Stop by if you get a chance. It a great little airport. It's not a whole lot to look at but a real vibrant place. Lots of folks flying in and out just to sit around and talk planes. Look for the 170. It's mine, as I'm the only 170 on the field. (If you don't see it, I'm flying.)

Btw, our backgrounds are similar. I got my ticket over 30 years ago and then life intruded. I got back to flying a couple of years ago and I decided I just had to have a plane. I wanted a taildragger and loved the lines of a 170. What a great plane, I love it. I'm still working with my instructor to complete my insurance time, but again loving every minute of it.

I should also mention this, as I'm a new member and this is my first post. Thanks to all of the active forum members. I followed the forum before I started looking for a plane and I learned so much extremely useful information that made me much more confident as a buyer. I'm still learning great stuff as an owner now. You guys are a great resource. Again thanks.

Gene Feher
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Gene welcome to the association. I'm excited that we have representation from your great state. Keep us updated on your progress and flying in Maine.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS