Bartone Exhaust

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Bartone Exhaust

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I've placed this ad for Pat and Sybil. From Sybil:
  • BARTONE STACKS can be available within a month if there is enough interest. Due to increases
    in material and postage, the new price is $688. Since I have to order 20 sets at a time, I would
    like to know if there is enough interest prior to placing an order.
    Pat Bartone 86o-474-5o25 or sybil.bartone@Frontier.com
Call Pat (you may get Sybil which is OK) with your interest. Neither Pat or Sybil use the internet so they won't see any comment's, questions or inquires here.

SOLD OUT
Sybil emailed 8/30/19, to say they no longer have any pipe sets to sell and they won't be restocking them due to health issues.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
IA DPE

Re: Bartone Exhaust

Post by IA DPE »

I sent Sybil an email which she has not yet responded too. Anyone heard if this price also includes the STC?
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
Macunix

Post by Macunix »

Last edited by Macunix on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Fenstermacher

As I've added to their add above, the price includes STC paperwork. The best bet for quickest response is the phone.

If you would like to have these pipes, you need to let them know. They are considering what the demand, if any is moving forward.

N2625U

Post by N2625U »

Maybe I missed it somewhere but what is the advantage of the Bartone exhaust?
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N2625U wrote:Maybe I missed it somewhere but what is the advantage of the Bartone exhaust?
The Bartone exhaust exists the cowling at the lower cowl-exit instead of thru holes in the bottom cowl, similar to a 206/210 aircraft. It replaces the existing "fang" tailpipes.
This keeps the lower cowl cleaner of soot. It uses the existing Hanlon-Wilson type mufflers and has a "hanger" which attaches to the lower engine mount from which the Bartone tailpipes are suspended. (Some early versions mounted/hanged from the firewall.) The existing tailpipe exit-holes in the lower cowl will have to be closed-off with patches or plates and possibly painted.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Advantage I've heard:
  1. Keeps cowl cleaner.
  2. Makes cowl removal easier.
  3. Less drag thus more speed
  4. Less sound or nicer sound in the cabin.
  5. Less CO2 in the cabin.
Pretty easy to see #1. If your current fangs make your cowl hard to remove/reinstall, you will see how #2 could work. If you understand drag and it's relation to speed, you can see how this #3 would work for perhaps a small improvement. #4 could be subjective. #5 I could see this being the case.

edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Advantage I've heard:
  1. Keeps cowl cleaner.
Pretty easy to see #1. If your current fangs make your cowl hard to remove/reinstall, you will see how #2 could work. If you understand drag and it's relation to speed, you can see how this #3 would work for perhaps a small improvement. #4 could be subjective. #5 I could see this being the case.
Not a real advantage, but, they look cool ! 8)
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Even though I prefer the shape of Pat’s original pipes, I installed the Benham pipes at overhaul back in 2006 because of the STC vs field approval issue. I do however prefer hanging them from the engine mount rather than the firewall. (The fewer holes in the firewall, the better, IMHO).
DB5AA892-B45B-47A0-BD2D-7DB47FF34481.jpeg
Before ‘98C was rebuilt a few years ago, I used fabric wing inspection covers to close out the cowl holes. Worked well, and didn’t look all that bad.
650F7142-6F1C-4EBF-8DC2-6B4B5DC376C1.jpeg
I doubt any instrumentation exists that is less than the value of the airplane that could show any speed gain over the original pipes. They do however have a throatier note that might make it sound faster. :lol:

As far as CO (carbon MONoxide :wink:), I can see where the exit point behind the firewall would make exhaust less likely to enter through faulty gear leg seals. I have no data on my airplane with the original exhaust, but with the new CO detector I received last week, I see only 1ppm after start up and during taxi with a cold engine. All other phases of flight show zero.(This is with the heater full on and wing vents closed).
7DCF4961-6DBF-49CE-AE28-B8206674E983.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Mapleflt

Post by Mapleflt »

To be clear the Bartone pipes are cool and offer the advantages previously identified. However after some due diligence from an earlier consider of their use offer no significant engine performance increase or proposed to offer what a Powerflow or Vetterman can do. Unfortunately neither of these two systems are available for the mighty Conti 0-300
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Advantage I've heard:
  1. Keeps cowl cleaner.
You missed #6...Cool factor......like a dually 409 Chev
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I've placed this ad for Pat and Sybil. From Sybil:
  • BARTONE STACKS can be available within a month if there is enough interest. Due to increases
    in material and postage, the new price is $688. Since I have to order 20 sets at a time, I would
    like to know if there is enough interest prior to placing an order.
    Pat Bartone 86o-474-5o25 or sybil.bartone@Frontier.com
Call Pat (you may get Sybil which is OK) with your interest. Neither Pat or Sybil use the internet so they won't see any comment's, questions or inquires here.
I’m interested, thanks, I just emailed Sybil
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I just emailed my order for a set.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

hilltop170 wrote:I just emailed my order for a set.
Did you do that through Sybil's email address? Wondering because I did not hear back yet. Thanks
Bruce Fenstermacher

I can not stress this enough. Pat and Sybil ARE NOT computer people. Yes they have an email address and offered it. I have sent and received email from Sybil but a phone call was always part of the equation. I get the impression checking email on an hourly bases or maybe even a daily bases, is not their MO. I could be wrong.

I would suggest an email so your order or intent to place an order is recorded and then a followup phone call.