instrument panel decals

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

vcavu

instrument panel decals

Post by vcavu »

Hi I am restoring my 170B and need a source for cockpit decals. Flap handle, fuel guage, glove compartmant etc. Any suggestions
Dennis

Re: instrument panel decals

Post by Dennis »

Yep, try Cessna, they have them all, some for lots of $$$$. Or you can make your own. Refer to the flight manual in your 170, TCDS, and your copy of the IPC for description and part numbers. Your A&P should at least oversee the placard placement and make a logbook entry. regards, Dennis
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

While visiting with Steve Jacobson this year at convention the subject of instrument decals came up. Anyone who has seen Steve's award winning 170A knows if it's on Steve's 170A it is probably original or as close as one can get today to original.

Steve was quite excited about some new placard offerings from Screaming Aero Graphix. They were not what he had used but they had something he needed or that he thought would be better than he had already. Hard to believe really looking his plane over. They are a stick on product (the samples I saw) and not water type decals which is typical of what Cessna used. Steve offered to send me more info after convention on the decals he used but hasn't yet.

If you are looking to do an exact restoration Screaming Aero may not have what you need. If your looking for nice placards close but maybe not in the same font or color as original they might be just what your looking for. www.screamingaero.com
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
HA

Post by HA »

I used Aero Graphics http://www.aerographics.com/interior.ph ... s_Placards. not original but they had everything. Also Moody Aero Graphics is another source I've used http://www.moodyaero.com/
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

A few years ago George posted a PDF file with images for decals you can print out on transparent, adhesive-backed stock. Here's the thread: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... =41&t=6883. There's lots of discussion there too.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

George or Bruce or anyone....did anyone actually create a pdf document of the decal versus a scanned image? I've had my neighbor who runs a graphics shop make me a decal page of the scanned image but it's not very clear. Workable, but not what I'd like.

He said he could do much better with an actual pdf.

And for the guys who don't care about originality for the font color but desire the decal to be easy to read (say they have a black flap handle and want white lettering versus the yellow color of the original :wink: ) it would make it easy to change.

Just curious if anyone has already gone to that effort. (And thanks George and Bruce - not asking you guys to do that - you do plenty!!!)
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Hi Kyle,

I made a couple of my own placards using MS Word, and printed them on transparent Avery stock. You could play with this file and print it as a PDF (or send it to one of the free PDF-creator web sites if you don't have Acrobat).
Placards.doc
(19 KiB) Downloaded 976 times
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Kyle,

One of my many projects still in the works is to take pictures of known original decals then duplicate them as exact as I can. I've got lots of that work done but have to print proofs and compare what I have to the original whic means I have to find the originals again ..and then have the proof with me. Would have been a GREAT project to complete at convention...but I was a a bit busy doing other convention things. So no I don't have a PDF of my work so far.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Thanks John and Bruce.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
vcavu

Post by vcavu »

Thank you for the sources. I'll go through the list.
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Hi All,

This is an old thread but my wife ordered us the interior and exterior placards from Screaming Aero Graphics for Christmas. We still have not received them through the mail and cannot get this company to make good or even respond. Unfortunately cannot recommend this company.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Bob:

I ordered labels from Higher Graphics ( http://www.highergraphics.com ) this past summer during an interior refresh on 62C and couldn't be happier. They sent out email proofs that I was able to customize based on specific verbiage, airspeeds, specific texts, etc. Extremely responsive and the label quality is great. Very, very responsive and I had the labels in a matter of days.

I worked with "Karen" and her team - highly recommend them.

Brian

(Note: Edited by the Moderator to enable the hyperlink.)
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716