LED Interior Lighting

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Falcon

Post by Falcon »

N9149A wrote:This thread was stretched to accommodate Falcons image of the thread. Images really need to be sized down in most cased no more that 500 pixels wide.

Falcon perhaps you could do that to you image for us. :D
Removed image :wink:
HA

Post by HA »

RE: painting your panel white - I did that when I redid my interior years ago (kind of a creamy white), looks great but when I'm nite aviating it does reflect onto the windshield, if I make the old torpedo lights any brighter I fear that problem will be made worse. but I like the LED idea, if I can replace the bulbs. otherwise I've been thinking Nulites.

painting the backside of the overlay is not a bad idea if you have lights under it, in fact many Pipers used that method by painting silver strips to reflect the lights onto the instruments - check out any old Seneca etc. They used blue light covers, FWIW.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

These Pinacle ashtray lights look pretty slick! Unfortunately, they don't seem like they'd work very well in the earlier model ashtrays that mount on the top of the side panel,facing up along the sides of the windshield. Bummer.

Eric
n2582d

LED instrument panel lights

Post by n2582d »

HA
To clarify my earlier post, I am planning on painting the outside of the shock-mounted instrument panel (the part the light sockets mount in) and the inside of the shock-mounted panel cover white. I like your idea of using silver rather than white for better reflection. When assembled these white or silver painted surfaces won't be visible.

I toyed with the idea of using LED lights in place of the seven bulbs in the instrument panel. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as popping in some new bulbs. For one thing the radiation pattern is pretty narrow on most LEDs--they may be quite bright but without a broad beam they wouldn't help much in this application. A second problem is voltage control--the current rheostat would have to be replaced when using LED lights. One that might work is Electronics International's "EI-CP1 LED intensity control potentiometer" available from Chief Aircraft. Allied Electronics have the following LED bulbs which I think would fit in our existing T 3-1/4 sockets. The following white LED is listed: #511-0101 (825 Mcd) http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Produc ... 2406%2D203. In red the following are available: #511-0089 at 1050 Mcd http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Produc ... 2401%2D203, #511-0079 at 480 Mcd http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Produc ... 585%2D5223, #234-2149 at 350 Mcd http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=1532.pdf (mini-bayonet?). A third problem with using LED lights may be FAA approval.

Gary
BWeathered

Re: Instrument light sockets

Post by BWeathered »

n2582d wrote:Regarding the instrument light sockets, Neal Wright on the Cessna 120-140 website was able to locate them for me. They are made by SPC Technology, Type LSL-11-151U and are available from Newark.com. Newark's p/n for the socket is 81N2568. ....
Sorry to revive an old thread, but here is some updated info. The Newark website no longer carries the "clip to panel" instrument light mounts (and redirects to anscrew on light mount which would probably work, but is not original). However, TEDSS.com does still carry these mounts, under the LSL-11-151U part number. If you're counting how many you need for a 170A panel, the drawing shows 4 for the main panel then sneaks in 2 more for the sub-panel assy, so the total is 6 req, even though the drawing says 4 req for the MODEL.

Brent
N9194A