LED Interior Lighting

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

PilotMikeTX

LED Interior Lighting

Post by PilotMikeTX »

Has anyone replaced their dome light with an LED type? I'd also like to replace my "torpedo" light with an LED. I've seen a couple of (pricey) products (dome light) from Whelen in the Spruce catalog. I thought I read about some small LED task lights in a ball and socket type apparatus, but haven't found them available for retail.

What additional products/suppliers are available? Would any of this require a 337 or just a log entry?

Mike
n2582d

Cockpit lighting

Post by n2582d »

Mike,
Check out http://www.cockpitlights.com. He says that "no 337 form is needed." This product is also available from Aircraft Spruce. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... lights.php

Does anybody have a source for our instrument panel light sockets? Its listed as p/n 0411035-1 in fig. 37-61 and as p/n 0411035 in fig. 41-12 of the C-170B catalog. If they are no longer available, what have you all used as a replacement?

Gary
Last edited by n2582d on Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
doug8082a

Re: Cockpit lighting

Post by doug8082a »

n2582d wrote: Does anybody have a source for our instrument panel light sockets? Its listed as p/n 0411035-1 in fig. 37-61 and as p/n 0411035 in fig. 41-12 of the C-170B catalog. If they are no longer available, what have you all used as a replacement?

Gary
When I rebuilt my panel I went with Nulites. A bit pricey and you need to remove each instrument to install, but they are a very nice unit.
Doug
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Now...this is a cheap idea :idea: , but it appears workable.

I recently purchased two small red led panels which replace the ash trays in the side panels. Each uses two AAA batteries and seem to bath the cockpit in soft red light. No STC required, no wires, just remove ashtrays and insert the panels. Have not had an opportunity to use them yet, but they were inexpensive. These came from a firm specializing in interior plastic parts for the Cessna line whose name I cannot recall :oops: at this moment, but will if someone is interested.

By the way, I also have the two "torpedo" type lights in the overhead, but they are so dim as to be almost worthless :( .

regards,
Chuck
170C

Printing Interior Light Data

Post by 170C »

Any computer guru's out there that can advise a computer challenged :oops: person how to adjust his computer so it will print all of a page rather than cut off a portion (small) of the right side of a page? I have this problem when printing printed documents, etc such as those found on the interior light websites and sometimes on a printed document I pull off the internet.

thanks
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
tshort

Post by tshort »

Chuck-
I'd be interested in the source for the LED ashtray replacements - that sounds like a great idea!

EDIT-
Google found it in a few seconds .... was this it?:

http://www.pinnacleproducts.biz/

Thanks
Thomas
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ole Pokey this is a function of the web page which is wider than your printer margins. Some web pages intended for printing have a printer friendly version of the page which will fit most printer margins.

You could try printing in landscape (sideways on the paper) rather portrait (the normal way). You change this in page setup under the file menu of your browser.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

170C wrote:Any computer guru's out there that can advise a computer challenged :oops: person how to adjust his computer so it will print all of a page rather than cut off a portion (small) of the right side of a page? I have this problem when printing printed documents, etc such as those found on the interior light websites and sometimes on a printed document I pull off the internet.

thanks
N9149A wrote:Ole Pokey this is a function of the web page which is wider than your printer margins. Some web pages intended for printing have a printer friendly version of the page which will fit most printer margins.

You could try printing in landscape (sideways on the paper) rather portrait (the normal way). You change this in page setup under the file menu of your browser.
or you could also try making it an image then reducing it
Last edited by Falcon on Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Wow! Those ashlights look like a really neat idea - if they don't put TOO much light into the cockpit. I'd love to hear from someone who has actually used them.

Currently, this is what I'm using for night flights:
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
tshort

Post by tshort »

Those petzl lights are great - I keep a Zipka (the retractable cord one) in the plane all the time. I have a couple of others that I use while camping, fishing, etc and have yet to need to change the batteries. They have available a red lens for them that makes them great for aviation use...

Thomas
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Yep, I've got both green and red lenses for mine. Looks a little goofy, but it sure was cheaper than installing panel lights for the minimal amount of night flying that I do.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
Dave Clark

Re: Printing Interior Light Data

Post by Dave Clark »

170C wrote:Any computer guru's out there that can advise a computer challenged :oops: person how to adjust his computer so it will print all of a page rather than cut off a portion (small) of the right side of a page? I have this problem when printing printed documents, etc such as those found on the interior light websites and sometimes on a printed document I pull off the internet.

thanks
It might well be Gary's link to Aircraft Spruce that stretched the page. I know, it is a pain in the you know what :(

Maybe Gary would edit his post to put the link at the beginning of the next line and we can see if that fixes it.

I have no idea how to "or you could also try making it an image then reducing it like below " and that sems like it should be unneccesary. :roll:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

This thread was stretched to accommodate Falcons image of the thread. Images really need to be sized down in most cased no more that 500 pixels wide.

Falcon perhaps you could do that to you image for us. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Instrument light sockets

Post by n2582d »

Regarding the instrument light sockets, Neal Wright on the Cessna 120-140 website was able to locate them for me. They are made by SPC Technology, Type LSL-11-151U and are available from Newark.com. Newark's p/n for the socket is 81N2568. Check out Neal's informative article on instrument panel lights.

The following ought to stimulate some discussion! I'm planning on using clear rather than red bulbs for instrument lights. I also plan to paint my instrument panel and the back of the instrument panel cover white--hoping that will help illuminate the panel. At http://stlplaces.com/night_vision.html. the author states that “The red filtered light at the intensity most people use is likely decreasing night vision much more than a properly dimmed white or blue-green light would!” On the A-300/A-310, and I believe most other jets, there isn’t a red instrument light to be found.

Gary
Last edited by n2582d on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Thomas,

Your website is correct. And FWIW, they fit well in the receptacle.

chuck