IO-360 crank in O-300

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Aeroplane

IO-360 crank in O-300

Post by Aeroplane »

I heard a rumor that an IO-360 crank will work in an O-300. Anyone know anything about this?
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
cessna170bdriver

Re: IO-360 crank in O-300

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Aeroplane

Post by Aeroplane »

Does this mean you could use a constant speed propeller with the IO-360 crank?
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aeroplane wrote:Does this mean you could use a constant speed propeller with the IO-360 crank?

YES!... if you’re using that crank in an IO-360. (Which has a place to mount a prop governor.). :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

So what is a new IO-360 continental crank cost from the factory. And can you purchase a new cam shalf and cam followers also. What is the cost of these also. My contacts in continental have long retired . It was during the Chinese takeover a number of people “retired“.
Another point is the legality of using another crank from a different model. This is one very murky world using parts from other engines in the O-300. I used high compression pistons from a different type of “O-300” some years ago while the engine itself was great I was thrown a curved ball as I was using 2 different brands of cylinders. One was continental and the other was a PMA version. My cylinder head temperatures were very different across the range . The PMA cylinders was a lot cooler always . I changed CHT probs and even resorted in swapping cylinders around . The PMA cylinders were always a lot cooler. I even wrote to the PMA cylinder manufacturers asking about their cooler running cylinders. After fluffing up their feathers and throwing back their head and crowing in the chicken yard, they simply said theirs were a more modern Superior design.
So be care full when using other parts in engines not in the offical parts catalog.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

OK.. just to be clear... no one I know of here in the Forums is a Contenental parts distributor so cannot reliably report what they charge for parts. For those questions... contact your Continental distributor.

The IO 360 crank.... IS THE SUPERCEDED PART for the C145/O300 engines...so it is NOT a crank from a “different” engine.... They both use the SAME crank.

Yes, new cams, and other parts are available for the C145/O300 engines... not only from Continental Engines...but also from aftermarket providers.

To the best of my knowlege. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)