New to me 170B

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

IP076

New to me 170B

Post by IP076 »

After an earlier deal fell through, It's looking very likely that I'll be taking ownership of a 1953 B model this week. I've got a list of 337s from an FAA records search. Seems to include a lot of popular mods. I've been googling each, but I thought I'd post here just to get some info from the experts.

Here's a list and what I've found so far:

Part Bartone Exhaust Extensions - most reviews have been favorable. Seems to keep the underside a little cleaner, sound is subjectively better, not quite sure if it's quieter or louder...feedback seems to go either way.

Skytronics Jasco 50a alternator - I guess a little more juice never hurts, as long as the little increase in weight doesn't bother you.

Rosen sun visors - no concerns here, liked having them in any other airplane I've flown with them.

Single piece windscreen - I suppose the only argument against is keeping an airplane original?

Hooker shoulder harnesses - good to have, might have chosen the BAS ones if I picked, but these seem fine to me.

George O Johnson Teflon Control Tube Balls - seem to be a better replacement than OEM, but I'll admit, didn't find much else in a search.

Whelen anti-collision lighting system - I'm a fan of being seen...so I'd say it's a good mod to have.

Aviation Development Corporation Externally Mounted Oil Filter (STC SA4172NM) and Engine Adapter (STC SA5743NM) - Seems ADC is no longer around, so sourcing any replacements might be an issue. I need to read up a little more on this one, but I'd be curious what other members experience is.

B&C Specialty Products Model BC 320-1 starter - other than getting rid of the pull cable, I'm not sure if there's further advantages/disadvantages

Mogas - Current owner has not been running mogas.

P.Ponk landing gear support brackets (STC SA4170NM) and castings (SA2918NM).

BAS tail pull handle kit - seems a no brainer for ease of moving the airplane in and out of the hangar

STOL Cuff from Stene Aviation - pros/cons debated here on the forum. For my expected use in WA/ID, it will probably come in handy

As for radios it has an old Narco 810 and a Garmin 325 Transponder. I'll likely add the tailBeacon from Uavionix for ADS-B compliance.

This is my first 170, and my first airplane. Looking forward to the adventure ahead. If anyone has any advice or info on the above mods, good or bad, I'd be all ears.

Any other must have accessories for the first time aircraft owner? I'd like to put together a little survival/safety kit. Maybe get a pack of tie down anchors and straps to use while camping elsewhere.

Thanks in advance!
ghostflyer

Re: New to me 170B

Post by ghostflyer »

You will love that single piece windscreen, the views are incredible . Just check it has been attached at the top correctly. The sloping nose of this Cessna model gives a great view. If the alternator is serviceable let it go until it dies. The rest are toys so have fun .
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

If you ever have problems with your ADC oil filter set up, just replace it with the newer Tempest external spin on system. Many of us like ours.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
Deputydog

Post by Deputydog »

I have many of the same mods on my 170, you will definitely like those.. All are good upgrades. I have the Petersen Mogas STC, so I run that most of the time.

This is going to be a great first plane for you! Congrats!
1950 Cessna 170A model
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Congrats on finding an airplane. Where will you be based?
IP076

Post by IP076 »

counsellj wrote:Congrats on finding an airplane. Where will you be based?
COE. Until I have my first born to sell to get a hangar at Felts...
rschreiber

Post by rschreiber »

Congratulations on the new addition! She sounds like a very well-equipped bird.
Ryan
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Most of us have teflon balls. David (ghostflyer) carries his in a wheel-barrow. :mrgreen:

Congratulations and DON”T SLIP IT WITH FULL FLAPS!

WELCOME!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
IP076

Post by IP076 »

Well, the sale all went through. My schedule didn't permit, so a good friend picked her up for me today and made it to his place in MI where it will be stored for two weeks while I finish my work rotation. Then some flying with a instructor for my insurance checkout, and some fun flying out there, then head west.

Here she is:
IMG_5581 small.jpg
Can't wait to fly her around!
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Congratulations!
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Very Pretty! Congratulations!

Any ADS-B equipment on board?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
IP076

Post by IP076 »

gahorn wrote:Very Pretty! Congratulations!

Not yet. Looking at ordering the UAvionix Tail Beacon.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

IP076 wrote:

Likely an excellent choice. It is written up about in this month’s Aviation Consumer. Contains it’s own txdr and is intended to meet expected Canadian ADS-B requirements. (Also, the wingtip fairings from a later Cessna model on your airplane does not accept the uAvionix SkyBeacon without an expensive adaptor.)
rschreiber

Post by rschreiber »

Beautiful bird!
Ryan
IP076

Post by IP076 »

gahorn wrote:
IP076 wrote:

Likely an excellent choice. It is written up about in this month’s Aviation Consumer. Contains it’s own txdr and is intended to meet expected Canadian ADS-B requirements. (Also, the wingtip fairings from a later Cessna model on your airplane does not accept the uAvionix SkyBeacon without an expensive adaptor.)

There’s the tailBeacon and the tailBeaconX. I believe you’re referring to the “X”, which isn’t available yet for certified airplanes. I need to do a little more research as to which Canadian airspace requires ADS-B before I purchase, but I’m inclined to think I won’t be using the airplane much in those areas.

Also, I believe if you use the “X” you need an AVR-20 or -30 to function as a control head. I’ve got a fully functioning transponder.