Squeaking leafsprings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bgiesbrecht

Squeaking leafsprings

Post by bgiesbrecht »

Like a good ramp neighbor, after I land, I pull straight down my tie-down row and shut down, then turn and hand push into my tiedown spot. I've noticed recently that there is an occasional squeak coming the leafsprings connecting to the tailwheel (Scott 3200). However, the squeak is only there at that moment, and only right after shut down. As soon as I rotate the tail end around and push into my spot, the sound disappears. It is also not present when I'm pushing out to start up. Any ideas here? I haven't noticed any cracks around the leafsprings and the only clue is some possible slipping as the top leafspring appears to have shifted slightly (maybe 1cm).
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
DaveF

Re: Squeaking leafsprings

Post by DaveF »

I once had a squeak from the tailspring area. It turned out to be caused by the spring pack being loose at the attach bolt. It hadn't been properly shimmed so the spring pack could rotate up and down, just a tiny amount enough to squeak.
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

Interesting, I'll have that looked at. It's interesting to me that it only occurs periodically after a flight and shutdown, and no other times.
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bgiesbrecht wrote:Interesting, I'll have that looked at. It's interesting to me that it only occurs periodically after a flight and shutdown, and no other times.
Sounds like it happens when the tailwheel is in a reversed caster while pushing backwards? That may place a different stress on the mainspring.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

It's interesting to me that it only occurs periodically after a flight and shutdown, and no other times.[/quote].
Well if it squeaked in flight I could be flying a little low. Maybe the shim Pak is loose or mis aligned.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Only after a flight?

It may be "speed flutter" affecting the spring stack.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C