Wish I woulda ...

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Wish I woulda ...

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Gareth

Looking at your pictures of the seat restrain system and the next picture of the floor. The belt buckle was attached, in all likely hood, to that hole to the right of the inspection hole. In my aircraft this is a nut plate for an AN-3 bolt. It's not much, looks wonky, but I find it very effective.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The aluminum coated bubble wrap insulation Reflectix similar to that pictured, actually has burn certifications for aircraft installations which can be found in our library at this link: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/members ... icates.pdf
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

There are different types of insulation . One is a bubble wrap with aluminium coating on each surface .ok for thermal insulation and cheap to buy but useless for sound depression. The next is foam layered with foil on each side . This can be placed in the cavity but best glued with correct adhesive . Get the right burn certificates also for the product fitted. There is a foam with a thin lead matrix in the layers which makes a great thermal and sound suppression.. it’s a little heavy compared with other foams but does a great job.
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Gareth

Looking at your pictures of the seat restrain system and the next picture of the floor. The belt buckle was attached, in all likely hood, to that hole to the right of the inspection hole. In my aircraft this is a nut plate for an AN-3 bolt. It's not much, looks wonky, but I find it very effective.
Thanks Bruce. I'll be hooking it up when the seat (eventually) goes back in!
1948 170 Project (N4180V) now EI-AEN SN:18513 - Dublin, Ireland
https://www.taildragger.eu/
Kevin Pearce

Post by Kevin Pearce »

Hi Gareth

Yes that is the inertia unit. In your second picture of the floor the attachment point can be seen with the four rivets around it. The bolt is a AN4.

Regards

Kevin
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

Kevin Pearce wrote:Hi Gareth

Yes that is the inertia unit. In your second picture of the floor the attachment point can be seen with the four rivets around it. The bolt is a AN4.

Regards

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. I had not spotted that!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I'm sure you know this, but just so it's clear, that's not an inertia reel. It's a locking reel operated by the black cable.

There, I feel better now. :)
Kevin Pearce

Post by Kevin Pearce »

Thanks dave, I did use the wrong description and appreciate the correction.

Kevin
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

DaveF wrote:I'm sure you know this, but just so it's clear, that's not an inertia reel. It's a locking reel operated by the black cable.

Dave, Hate to squash that good feeling but it is in fact an inertia reel. These type of lockable reels are common on airline crew seats. If you unlock the reel with the cable and then give the belt a quick tug it should lock with the inertia reel mechanism. Having the two locking methods is like wearing a belt and suspenders on a system that is in itself a backup for the regular seat latch.

During annual inspection, when inspecting these seat reels, I’d recommend following this section of BAS’ Instructructions for Continued Airworthiness (ICA):
The inertia reel and attachment hardware and bracketry should be inspected for proper operation during annual inspection of the aircraft. The reel should allow for extension of the harness during a slow pull, but should lock up during a quick pull of the harness. Failure of the reel to function properly in either of these conditions is cause for removal and return to AmSafe for repair or replacement.
(There is no similar ICA for the inertia lock function in Cessna's secondary seat stop Service Bulletin SEB07-5R6).
Gary
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:The '48 fuel lines run down the front door posts rather that the back door post like the A and b model. The fuel lines are also smaller. This all added up to the '48 requiring a fuel pump. Not a big deal if you have one and the associated one way valve. You might consider rerouting larger lines down the rear door post like the later A and B. And if you don't have 4 tanks, now is the time to add that 4th tank if you can find one.
Does anyone have a 337 for the fuel line upgrade and pump removal?

I have an O-300 from a 172 that has no pump and the check valve and fuel pressure gauge are not presently installed in the fuel system. Rather than reconstruct the original pump hack I would rather do the fuel line update.

Thanks

Gareth
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

n2582d wrote:
DaveF wrote:I'm sure you know this, but just so it's clear, that's not an inertia reel. It's a locking reel operated by the black cable.

Dave, Hate to squash that good feeling but it is in fact an inertia reel. These type of lockable reels are common on airline crew seats. If you unlock the reel with the cable and then give the belt a quick tug it should lock with the inertia reel mechanism. Having the two locking methods is like wearing a belt and suspenders on a system that is in itself a backup for the regular seat latch.

During annual inspection, when inspecting these seat reels, I’d recommend following this section of BAS’ Instructructions for Continued Airworthiness (ICA):
The inertia reel and attachment hardware and bracketry should be inspected for proper operation during annual inspection of the aircraft. The reel should allow for extension of the harness during a slow pull, but should lock up during a quick pull of the harness. Failure of the reel to function properly in either of these conditions is cause for removal and return to AmSafe for repair or replacement.
(There is no similar ICA for the inertia lock function in Cessna's secondary seat stop Service Bulletin SEB07-5R6).
Thanks Gary, I didn't know that the reel has "inertia" action. But that kind of proves my point that the locking action occurs because of the cable, not the rapid pull. In 10 years of having my Cessna seat lock kit, it's never locked because of the "inertia" action, no matter how fast I pushed the seat back. I wouldn't rely on it to prevent the seat from rolling back.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Agreed Dave. Maybe that’s why Cessna doesn’t include inspecting the inertia locking function in their ICA. It’s redundant and unnecessary?
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

n2582d wrote:Agreed Dave. Maybe that’s why Cessna doesn’t include inspecting the inertia locking function in their ICA. It’s redundant and unnecessary?
If it’s unnecessary... then why do they consider the inertia seat-stop necessary? I’m being picky but if the original seat stops do their job...only then is it redundant. In fact, if the seat latch does IT’S job....the the original seat stops are redundant and the inertia seat stop is double-redundant. :lol: (And goofy’s like myself are dunder-heads for not having taken Cessna’s offer to do this free-of-charge. The 172-trainer came with it (although improperly installed and was corrected during purchase/annual inspection) and now I see it’s a good thing to have and plan to accomplish it on the 170. I called 3 different Cessna Service Centers and they make it very complicated to get on schedule with them. I think they’d rather others do this and themselves keep working on Citations.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
crwrpmr

Post by crwrpmr »

My search found this threat, my problem,I believe, is a little unusual.The cable for the AmSafe inertia seat stop has broken at the cable to seat handle end.
Any suggestions on replacement or repair would be greatfully accepted.
Thank you.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Rob,
Order cable assembly p/n 505530-405.
Gary