What Type of Engine?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rnealon1

What Type of Engine?

Post by rnealon1 »

Hi All,

While going down this road regarding my installed propeller (which meets all the TCDS requirements for a McCauley prop but is not listed in the applicability guide for any aircraft type) I was asked which engine I had, which is a C-145, but is it a -2 or -2H? And what is the difference?

I tried looking up my engine serial number on the Continental website, with the result "Serial number does not exist". Most likely this is because they want nothing to do with supporting a 65 year old engine?

Serial Number 15313-D-9-B-R

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: What Type of Engine?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As far as Continental is concerned the never made engines with serial numbers formatted like ours. And that is why your serial will not work at their web site. Your data plate should, beside the serial, be stamped with C-145-2 or 2H. Many times however that was not done.

The difference, easily seen, between a C-145-2 and a 2H is the 2H has a hydraulic control on the left front of the engine side. This will be wired closed as there are literally no accessories ie props that are available to use it.

Internally, besides the lever, the main bearing is drilled to allow passage of oil into the crank nose when the lever/valve is open. The crank nose will be machined to allow a C clip which holds a piston from coming all the way out of the crank rather than a welch plug. It is the piston in the crank which is held "high" by oil pressure from the engine. The prop accessory is spring or centrifugally loaded to push the piston to the "Low" position when there is no oil pressure behind the piston.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the information; now to locate the data plate!

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Should be an aluminum plate on the top right case half. They are riveted on.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

C-145...thanks!

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT