170 gear upgrade

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

alanbaker

Re: 170 gear upgrade

Post by alanbaker »

Excellent responses, thank you! I think I will be on the lookout for a matching set with no drilled hole, preferably a set of lady legs or 180 gear. I'm glad the knock kneed legs have fans but I'm interested in a more upright stiff legged look. Everyone who walks by the airplane likes to comment on how it looks like it's been pancaked a time or two and is leaning to the right. Hahaha, time for a leg upgrade even if not everyone will consider it an upgrade.

Thanks!

Alan
eskflyer

Post by eskflyer »

Alan, or anyone else
I have an original set of gear from a 1953 170B . NO DAMAGE . I am in Alaska but can ship if you need and or want a original matched set.

JP
907-394-3579
eskflyer@yahoo.com
AA16, SHORTWING and SPAMCAN FLYER, JP
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

eskflyer wrote:Alan, or anyone else
I have an original set of gear from a 1953 170B . NO DAMAGE . I am in Alaska but can ship if you need and or want a original matched set.

JP
907-394-3579
eskflyer@yahoo.com
FYI A 1953 could have the early gear with dimples or later "lady Legs" depending on the serial of the airframe. Of course also depends if they are the original installed at the factory. As much as these gear have been swapped around it's not enough to say they are from a 53 or any other year and know what they are.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
eskflyer

Post by eskflyer »

the ones I have are from a early "53" dimpled legs knock kneed version.These are original not bent in very good shape. I have lady legs on now she stands up proudly and has proper ground clearance with seaplane propeller and flat tires now.
AA16, SHORTWING and SPAMCAN FLYER, JP
Agpilot27

Post by Agpilot27 »

Thank you all for your opinions. I have a little over 15k hours of tail wheel time in many different models. I have owned several 170’s, all original, never experienced heavier gear on a 170. My children have gotten their privates in this 170 and have never had trouble with control. When I decided to refurbish this plane and keep it flying, I thought I should replace the gear as a safety measure, not as a modification.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Met Tom Anderson and his son Derek at the Arlington WA. Fly-in today. They both seem to be very knowledgeable in Cessna gear and their stuff looks really nice. As I understand it a gear set refurbishment will run 3k per leg provided your gear passes inspection ( good cores).
They were also displaying a bunch of new old stock Scott 3200 parts for sale and as far as I can tell he’s selling them at a substantial discount. The new old stock forks he has were anodized after milling whereas the present product have just been alodined.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS