New used transponder install requirements

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jtramo

New used transponder install requirements

Post by Jtramo »

I have a VFR 1951 170A. Had an old RT-359A that was throwing out some bad RFI and interfering with my Skybeacon. I purchased a used GTX-327 and am shopping around to get it signed off with a transponder test.

Questions:

1 Do I have to program it to my tail number or hex code so it’s attached to my tail number?

2 Is the standard biannual test all that’s required post installation?

3 is a static test required for a VFR aircraft with a new transponder?

I’m being told different things by different people. One wants to do a static test and is saying it’s bound to be a problem with a 170 of my vintage. I have had zero problems with the system and it’s previous transponder and am using the existing encoder.
Last edited by Jtramo on Thu May 23, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lowNslow

Re: New used transponder install requirements

Post by lowNslow »

Since the 327 is not a mode S transponder you do not have to enter your mode S hex code. All that is required is the usual transponder check.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Re: New used transponder install requirements

Post by GAHorn »

Jtramo wrote:I have a VFR 1951 170A. Had an old RT-359A that was throwing out some bad RFI and interfering with my Skybeacon. I purchased a used GTX-327 and am shopping around to get it signed off with a transponder test.

Questions:

1 Do I have to program it to my tail number or hex code so it’s attached to my tail number?

2 Is the standard biannual test all that’s required post installation?

3 is a static test required for a VFR aircraft with a new transponder?

I’m being told different things by different people. One wants to do a static test and is saying it’s bound to be a problem with a 170 of my vintage. I have had zero problems with the system and it’s previous transponder and am using the existing encoder.
It requires no programming.
Standard test is all it needs.
The "static" test...only one req'd for VFR aircraft is that the altitude encoder broadcast correctly during the previous test. (The shop that's warning you about static test of a vintage aircraft is either thinking you want an IFR test which includes the altimeter and encoder... or they're thinking about gouging you.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)