door latches

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

new2cessna

door latches

Post by new2cessna »

Hello, My door latches are inop. I have read the problem is a spring in an inconvenient area to repair. Just hoping a more resourceful solution has come to be?? If not will you direct me to "how to" article? Thank you kindly! Tim
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: door latches

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Do a search for "mouse trap" and you will hit on several threads discussing this problem and hint as to the repair. There is no tutorial step by step written to follow.

Click to search -> http://www.cessna170.org/forums/search. ... Mouse+trap

In these links you will learn the so called mouse trap spring you will need is not available from traditional sources. You will also learn of a Cessna spring kit that supersedes the mouse trap spring. And you will learn of alternate springs that might be used that you could find locally for much less than the Cessna going rate for like springs.

If you want mouse trap springs, I can make, probably provide them in a week or so. I simply have to install them in my airplane first to confirm they are serviceable.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

I recall there used to be a guy in the C120/140 group that would make mousetrap springs too. I bought a pair from him probably 7-8 years ago. His contact info is probably buried deep someplace here on the forum also.
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

rydfly wrote:I recall there used to be a guy in the C120/140 group that would make mousetrap springs too. I bought a pair from him probably 7-8 years ago. His contact info is probably buried deep someplace here on the forum also.
https://www.cessna120-140.org/Classified/springs.htm
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here's a simple and inexpensive method (click on pic to ENLARGE) :
Attachments
Latch-2.jpg
Latch-1.jpg
Latch-3.jpg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

gahorn wrote:Here's a simple and inexpensive method (click on pic to ENLARGE) :
And they're still working George! Ace Aviation Hardware Store...

Joe
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

So what am I reading.

Two simple springs from McMaster Carr and no need for the original mouse trap spring.

Is it that easy.?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes to the ACE Hardware springs, however, it is not that easy to remove and reinstall the catch. It takes your best McGyver impression to deal with these latch mechanisms. Of course once you've done it 5 or six times you might scoff at the task. This because you've already drilled all the necessary rivets, have confidence there really is nothing else holding the latch in the door and you've engineered the rivet replacement screws and Tinnermans. You've become a master at removing the door handle, and can find and remove all the screws that hold your door upholstery on. And lets not forget you've already modified your door seal that blocks the removal of the mechanism from the door.

Over the week end, for fun I removed both my doors. I removed one latch and experimented with the best way to install a new mouse trap spring. While I was at it I perfected the mouse trap spring I can produce. I've had the latch in and out of my door 4 times to include major disassembly of the latch mech., something I not recommend anyone do with first taking and confirming you have 30-40 good clear photographs of this puzzle from every angle. I was taking lots of pictures to use for a how-to article on the subject, and I didn't take enough. I had to look at the other latch to figure how that thing went back together when it fell apart in my hand.

I also realized that likely there are no two exact duplicate door latch mechanisms today due to repair schemes necessary. My latches included. This is not a task for the casual McGyver. You could easily get into this and make the whole assembly worse with even more repair or parts sourcing necessary.

However I can say I'm very pleased with the finished result of the latch I repaired with a new mouse trap spring. The latch mechanism had long ago had ACE hardware type springs installed and I left them there to help (backup) the new mouse trap spring.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Perhaps this might help... from the C172 IPC:
172 Cessna Door Spg Mod.pdf
(72.64 KiB) Downloaded 1149 times
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

MoonlightVFR wrote:So what am I reading.

Two simple springs from McMaster Carr and no need for the original mouse trap spring.

Is it that easy.?
Those are mine pictured, did this several years ago and still working.

Joe
TSRamsey

Post by TSRamsey »

Thank you so much for your posts. This little mechanism has always seemed incredibly complicated to have such a simple function.

Todd
(new member this month!)
Todd Ramsey
N5504R
O300D powered 172F
170C

Post by 170C »

Welcome!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
ravenaviation

Post by ravenaviation »

Let me make sure I have it.

All of the discussion has been about replacing PN 0511119, Spring-Door Handle Return. Right?

There is another spring in there, PN 0411554 Spring-Door Latch. It appears to my mind that this spring isn't actually needed to close the latch because the pressure is provided by the connecting rod (pull bar) that goes through to the catch from the pin that is on a pivot bracket. Right?

From George's excellent photos, it seems the two spacers on the moving pin have been removed. Correct?

Finally, to install the springs a small hole needs to be drilled on each side of then Door Latch Housing PN 0511112-2. Right.
John
LaPorte, TX (T41)
N2363D, Cessna 170B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ravenaviation wrote:Let me make sure I have it.

All of the discussion has been about replacing PN 0511119, Spring-Door Handle Return. Right?

There is another spring in there, PN 0411554 Spring-Door Latch. It appears to my mind that this spring isn't actually needed to close the latch because the pressure is provided by the connecting rod (pull bar) that goes through to the catch from the pin that is on a pivot bracket. Right?

From George's excellent photos, it seems the two spacers on the moving pin have been removed. Correct?

Finally, to install the springs a small hole needs to be drilled on each side of then Door Latch Housing PN 0511112-2. Right.
Complete door latch/handle spring modification instructions (SK 172-16C 2 which is made applicable to the C-170 via SL 63-17) are found in the MX Library: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9689
Metal Master

Post by Metal Master »

I gotta get one of these, although I think I will buy the springs from Bruce. The service kit SK172-16C is available from Cessna current price $143.64, 1963 price $1.02 that's an increase of 13982.352941176467%.
Regards,
Jim
A&P, IA, New owner C170A N1208D, Have rebuilt some 50 aircraft. So many airplanes, So little time!