Airforms Inc baffles

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DuaneShockey

Airforms Inc baffles

Post by DuaneShockey »

Has anybody purchased the baffling kit for a rag wing (1948 model) from Airforms Inc and if so were they good with out modification? Airforms price is over $1000 as you know. Spruce and Specialty has them for the "B" model only and they are around $800. Any other source that has proven good for the 1948 model ??? Duane Shockey
gfeher

Re: Airforms Inc baffles

Post by gfeher »

Duane, I'm not sure if you would use Airform's '49-'52 baffles on your '48, but I installed one of their '49-'52 sets on my plane about a year and a half ago. They are well made, but do require a bit of fitting given that they are made to fit closely and the engine compartment of every plane is ever so slightly different, dimensionally. Plus, you may have some mods on your old baffles that may need to be duplicated on the new baffles. For example, 90% of my new baffles went on without a hitch, but I had to do a bit of trimming (with a dremel) on some of the forward pieces to prevent rubbing on the cooling fins of the front cylinders. Then, the real test came when I tried to put on the upper cowling. That's when most of the fitting occurred. I had to trim the ends of some of the rubber seals and some of the front of the top plenum panels. But it wasn't too difficult. It was trial and error and I just had to be patient with it. The only other work I needed to do on them was to cut a hole in one of new baffle pieces and transfer an air duct from my old one for the cooling supply of the alternator previously installed on my plane under an STC.

I hope this helps. It should give you a pretty good idea of what's involved. All in all, though, I was very happy with the fit and considered the trimming as pretty minor and to be expected.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Duane, I can’t speak to the 1948 model directly, but I was extremely pleased with the later B-model ones I bought directly from Airforms 13 years ago. Every part bolted up right out of the box. After 500 hours, the metal parts still look brand new (I opted for the hammertone powdercoat).
CB754574-AC14-41E2-AE0F-541E74946E95.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

I do not have a complete Airforms set on my '48, but I do have some.
My recollection is that since the part numbers for the '48 and the A model were the same, they should fit, and in fact they did. I have no complaints.
Ragwing S/N 18073
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Airforms used my 1951 A-Model to make their patterns. If the ‘48 has the same set-up, the baffles themselves should fit very well but I reworked some of the baffle seals b/c I didn’t like the way they fit.
Airforms baffles with owner-produced baffle seals
Airforms baffles with owner-produced baffle seals
Last edited by hilltop170 on Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
DuaneShockey

Post by DuaneShockey »

Responders, I went ahead and ordered the set from Airforms. I took your advice Miles and paid the extra for the powder coat. When I get my engine back from the ovrhaul shop the new baffles should make it look nice under the cowl. Richard, you have given me encouragement. I do have a 170A cowling on my plane, have for years. Got it from Jay Pratt when he went to a 180 Lyc. Duane