Paint selection for a 1948

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

melcessna

Paint selection for a 1948

Post by melcessna »

I am covering the wings with Poly Fiber and the sheen will be a satin. Staying within the Poly Tone product line allows for a wet look wing or the aforementioned satin. I have heard that the fuselage can have a flatter finish, not gloss, but a satin look. A non-gloss finish on aluminum seems like a cleaning maintenance nightmare. It is hard for me to comprehend this approach. The intent of these two finishes, one on aluminum and one on cloth, is to keep the overall look uniform. Truthfully, I can't recall seeing a 48 painted in all satin. I think my recollection is gloss aluminum and satin cloth. I would appreciate comments. Thank you, Mike
Michael E. Lewis
DuaneShockey

Re: Paint selection for a 1948

Post by DuaneShockey »

Mike, I used the poly fiber (back then Stitts) silver in 1988 or so. I chose to go the glossy on the fabric. If I had it to do again I would go with the satin. I got some hail damage when sitting at Snyder's ranch in Nebraska years ago. Got many fish eyes. Some were small, some big, and one was a cut entirely through where the ice ball hit on the edge of the rib. Gray duct tape was a good match for color and I got home just fine to do the patch for the cut. Much easier to do patchwork on the satin vs the glossy. Sanding thru the glossy is more difficult. Cheers, DuaneShockey
melcessna

Post by melcessna »

So, your aluminum is gloss. You would be OK gloss with a satin wing? I really can’t recall seeing a satin fuselage on a 48.
Michael E. Lewis
DuaneShockey

Post by DuaneShockey »

Michael, I don't understand your comment"You would be ok gloss with a satin wing". We can do better on the phone ?? 858-437-3962