SK 70A52-4 service kit parts

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Grizzley

SK 70A52-4 service kit parts

Post by Grizzley »

I ordered new tail springs to install during my annual inspection.
Turns out the Scott 3200 had a bushing/spacer missing, p/n ABI-3241-3S, ordered and installed it.
When I removed the old springs and installed the new ones, I cleaned and inspected everything. I found a hairline crack on the upper part of the fish mouth, the one held down by 10 AN 3-4A.
Where the stiffer and U-bolt rests and squashes the two parts of the fishmouth together. Can this part be found anywhere? I could not find a part number for that top 1/2.

I would apreciate any help finding that part.
Thank you,
JD
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: SK 70A52-4 service kit parts

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The part,Channel - Tailwheel spring retainer 0510000-31 is #36 on Fig 25 in the B model IPC. The L-19 equivalent has been found at Air Repair Inc http://www.airrepairinc.com/

This is a very common issue. Fact is if you checked 10 170s, your likely to find 9 of them have a crack in this area. You're also likely to find 1 in those ten to be missing the tang on this part all together. On the L-19 in a later mod of the bracket the tang was illuminated all together for a slightly different design.

I can't tell you your hair line crack isn't an issue. It is a crack in a part after all. I'm just stating there have been untold hours flown on 170s with this part cracked on one or both sides or the entire end tang missing.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Grizzley

Post by Grizzley »

Thank you Bruce
I am still (6 days) for an answer from them for the u-bolt and stiffner. I will nudge them again with a request for this part too.
JD
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:The part,Channel - Tailwheel spring retainer 0510000-31 is #36 on Fig 25 in the B model IPC. The L-19 equivalent has been found at Air Repair Inc http://www.airrepairinc.com/

This is a very common issue. Fact is if you checked 10 170s, your likely to find 9 of them have a crack in this area. You're also likely to find 1 in those ten to be missing the tang on this part all together. On the L-19 in a later mod of the bracket the tang was illuminated all together for a slightly different design.

I can't tell you your hair line crack isn't an issue. It is a crack in a part after all. I'm just stating there have been untold hours flown on 170s with this part cracked on one or both sides or the entire end tang missing.
The little tang on mine has been missing for 48+ years. If I remember correctly, to replace this part the tail feathers have to come off to access a couple of nuts. (Should have done this several years ago when I had them off checking for corrosion) Really has presented no problem in over 3000 hrs.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

JD,
I was curious why you are referencing a Service Kit rather than the IPC (which is available for free here.) But then I saw that your plane was converted back from being a tricycle gear plane so the Service Kit was probably used. Study figure 25 and figure 29 in the IPC. You'll see parts there such as bracket 25-29, block 25-32, spacer 25-39 and shim 29-10 that don't appear in the Service Kit.
Tail Bracket.jpg
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

edbooth wrote:The little tang on mine has been missing for 48+ years. If I remember correctly, to replace this part the tail feathers have to come off to access a couple of nuts. (Should have done this several years ago when I had them off checking for corrosion) Really has presented no problem in over 3000 hrs.
Ed, you don't have to remove the tail feathers. You must use a 1/4" ratchet and long extension with a knuckle and socket. Go in through the rudder cable exit slots. You need a good light. Reverse to reinstall.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Grizzley

Post by Grizzley »

Hey Gary, I have the IPC and thought I had gone through all of it.
When I went back to the airport today, I looked it up and sure as poop, there it was.
JD
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Look at the 170 B fishmouth / IPC closely, does the top tail end of the tail wheel fishmouth have the same profile as yours or is the top straight to the end ?
See this post http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... 7&start=15
A review of what type fishmouth you have may make a difference in what you are trying to accomplish and how you go about it
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:
edbooth wrote:The little tang on mine has been missing for 48+ years. If I remember correctly, to replace this part the tail feathers have to come off to access a couple of nuts. (Should have done this several years ago when I had them off checking for corrosion) Really has presented no problem in over 3000 hrs.
Ed, you don't have to remove the tail feathers. You must use a 1/4" ratchet and long extension with a knuckle and socket. Go in through the rudder cable exit slots. You need a good light. Reverse to reinstall.
Thanks Bruce, will remember that if I am ever so inclined to replace that. Can't imagine what that little part will cost now.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver