Flap Rollers Lube Existing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Flap Rollers Lube Existing

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I am not trying to be critical, however I wonder how I was unaware of a 27 page SEB 95-3 issued over 20 years ago.

Fortunately every thing in the Flap arena has worked well on my s.n. 26433 Cessna 170B.

IPC fig 68 pgs 113,114 unfortunately does not descriptively detail the flap rollers. I understand the limitations of a technical illustrator. So be it. I read article stating Importance of SS Washers on forward rollers. They said purpose of SS washers was to prevent ends of Roller from damaging end of "Flap support arm". Dutifully I went to
my 1956 IPC . Fig 68 - never a mention of Flap support Arm.

McFarlane has studied this subject and I get some clues. Not one (1) AP, IA ever mentioned flaps to me.

All 100 Series owners should be aware NOW before it develops into a $2500 repair line item.

What has been your experience?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
N2625U

Re: Flap Rollers Lube Existing

Post by N2625U »

Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I may be wrong but in the fog of memory files in my brain I think Cessna released a kit for flap tracks covering both 100 series and 200 series regarding modification of flap rollers and lubrication about 3 years ago. I vaguely recall having to mod a new Cessna 182 and a Cessna 170b. It was a pita job to do . How many times I dropped those stainless washers or shims . They are non magnetic . We also changed a flap guide also on the 170b. [i wasn’t involved in that] .it was found cracked.
Just asked around the shop regarding this issue but only got blank stares. Mmmn maybe they thought another one was coming in the shop. 8O
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Wow, as I was posting this n2526u was posting the Cessna mod sheet. It’s dated 2001 , and I thought it was only a few years ago . :idea: