Carpet or Vinyl for a floor covering

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Hawkeyenfo

Carpet or Vinyl for a floor covering

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Took out the original carpet on my last annual and have been flying without anything for a while. Looking to put something back in and found custom cut, vinyl floor covering from SCS-interiors. Has anyone used it, seen it used? Seems nice, easily cleaned, and easy to remove. SCS also makes carpet in lightweight, nylon and wool....all with burn certs. Thoughts???
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
GAHorn

Re: Carpet or Vinyl for a floor covering

Post by GAHorn »

Here's a link to their C-170 items: https://scs-interiors.com/collections/cessna-170
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

I've got a '63 172 and ordered the carpet from SCS and installed it about 5 years ago. I realize you're looking at the vinyl floor covering but the carpet I got fit perfectly and I'm well satisfied with it.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

I'm open to carpet or vinyl, never thought about vinyl until a IA friend said he saw a 180 with it and he liked it. I'm used to carpet ;) C'mon, it lasted 67 years! Did you buy the backing for the carpet or, just put the carpet down?
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

Just got the carpet only, no backing to it.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
Mapleflt

Post by Mapleflt »

It worth noting that the carpet is better then half the weight of the vinyl, 4.5 lbs as opposed to close to 10 lbs for the vinyl and its the "little" savings that add up to something much bigger in time.
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

This looks superb.

I have been looking for a good vinyl solution for some time. The carpet is threadbare so have been flying without it. Dragging mud/grass/ and dirt into the plane makes the vinyl a viable solution.

Thanks for the heads up.
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
dogone

Post by dogone »

I put coin dot in mine. Made it 2 or 3 inches wider all round to go up sides. This collects dirt so it doesn't end up in belly. Probably in the 10 lb range. It is certified flame resistant.
archerw

Post by archerw »

dogone wrote:I put coin dot in mine. Made it 2 or 3 inches wider all round to go up sides. This collects dirt so it doesn't end up in belly. Probably in the 10 lb range. It is certified flame resistant.
Tell me more about this, ... what brand?.. what is your source? My carpet was like fiber tape in the sun for 20 years; just barely there.
barrymaas

Post by barrymaas »

I redid my interior this winter, including the vinyl 'dot' flooring. It's call Loncoin, made by Lonseal. I ordered it through an outfit in CA. Color is space gray. I think I ordered 7 feet (it comes wide, so you can trim the excess and double it up in the aft area).

Was on the fence about it for a while, but now that it's installed I love it. I travel mostly to a grass strip where our cabin is, so the carpet was getting pretty ugly with dirt and grass. No longer a problem!

Let me know if this pic is too small to see it, and I'll figure out how to post a better image.
IMG_2815.jpg
IMG_2815.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 22079 times
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

https://ameriteakstore.com/collections/ ... l-flooring

This looks very reasonable. I have the same stuff, but I was given a long narrow roll. I simply did two sides, and they overlap in the baggage area. I prefer it to carpet.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Barrymass, do you have an issue with your heels catching on that floor covering? The shop that installed my new interior discarded the original scuff plates at the forward end of the cabin floor, and I refused to take the airplane until new ones had been fabricated and installed. Sometimes when you need rudder you need it NOW, and don’t have time to dislodge your heels from the floor, be it carpet or vinyl.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
dogone

Post by dogone »

Archerw I just know it as coin dot. I am sure any floor covering place could get it. Like I said can be had with flame proof certification. I ordered a piece about 3 feet by eight. Then did the floor all in one. Different colors available I think. Looks like barrymass' . I also covered the tunnel with it. cut oversize then used heat gun to melt/soften to form. No glue used. Just put flap handle cut out on top of it and reinsert screws. Leave lots extra then cut after fitted.