Another Broken Tailwheel Spring

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rnealon1

Another Broken Tailwheel Spring

Post by rnealon1 »

After a Connecticut snowfall found the main tailwheel spring snapped in two and tail sitting on grass. No obvious existing crack. Just happy it didn't happen while landing.

Besides replacing broken main spring it makes sense to me to replace all the springs but wondering what else might be suggested while I have the Scott 3200 home in the garage.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
4583C

Re: Another Broken Tailwheel Spring

Post by 4583C »

rnealon1 wrote:After a Connecticut snowfall found the main tailwheel spring snapped in two and tail sitting on grass. No obvious existing crack. Just happy it didn't happen while landing.

Besides replacing broken main spring it makes sense to me to replace all the springs but wondering what else might be suggested while I have the Scott 3200 home in the garage.

Thanks,

Bob
That is definitely the preferred place to discover your spring is broke! :D The megaphone behind you does an excellent job of magnifying the racket of that stub dragging on the tarmac, no rudder damage and you didn’t loose your tailwheel.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

rnealon1 wrote:A... it makes sense to me to replace all the springs but wondering what else might be suggested while I have the Scott 3200 home in the garage.

Thanks,

Bob
It's my opinion replacing ALL the leaf springs is a waste of money but no harm otherwise. Complete disassembly/inspection/repair of the tailwheel is always a good idea from time to time.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Thank you1

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I concur with George. I'd change out only the main spring. The design is a set up for a failure of the main spring which is why they break. That does not exist with the other springs in the pack. Unless you have reason to believe those have been fooled with ie changed out with home made stuff or you see some other defect in them, they are good.

BTW guess your as lucky as I am as I also discovered my main spring broken at the tie down.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Bruce says it all in one sentence.

"Set up for failure"

Why do we as owner/operators of Scott 3200 tail wheel aircraft accept occasional failure? Why?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

MoonlightVFR wrote:Bruce says it all in one sentence.

"Set up for failure"

Why do we as owner/operators of Scott 3200 tail wheel aircraft accept occasional failure? Why?
It's not just us. Have you ever had to rebuild/reseal a nose-wheel oleo-strut? Or main gear oleo-struts? Our configuration is a wonderful dream.

Simple tailspring solution: Change that cheap spring every 500 hrs.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)